Catahoula or Black Mouth Cur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catahoula or Black Mouth Cur

Looking to get a dog and like these two breeds. Have studied both as much as I can but have never been around either one. I know both are working dogs and can be used for blood trailing. However, if that works out it would be a bonus.

Looking for a sturdy dog that will be good with family and kids and protective. Would really like a dog that will be calm as well in open spaces.

If they track a deer even better but first off a pet of sorts. I know a lot depends on training as I will be doing all I can but will have to study that too.

Looking for house train ability and obedience qualities among them.

Thanks in advance for the 411.

My ex inlaws had both for cowdogs and both breeds did great. Seemed the Catahoulas were a little more family friendly. It could be I just like'em better because of the way they look.

Comment

I have Catahoula, and am a tracker on this site. I personally have found that she is wonderful in both categories. She has actually surprised me as a family pet, and is extremely social when going out on track jobs. Your choice Brother. Good Luck!

Comment

I have been raising registered catahoulas since the 80's and had non-registered before that. Personally I do not think either make great pets unless they have a real job. What I mean by that is if they are a cow dog or a hog dog that gets used a fair bit then they are ok....but if you want one to live in a small city backyard they tend to become a problem. Both breeds are high energy, hard headed, high prey driven breeds. They need an outlet for these instincts. Like I said I have raised them for a long time. I like both breeds but I have a dachshund for blood trailing.

Comment

I have a BMC I use for tracking, she spent her first 3 years in a 10 acre yard. 3 years ago we had to move to the dfw area in an apartment. She has adjusted just fine and is the best dog I have ever had very obedient and smart

Comment

I've never spent much time around any Curs, but Catahoula are awesome dogs. Much like other working breeds they're busy bodies and if they don't have something to do stuff will get torn up.

Comment

We have a cat. It is our firs tone so I can not speak for the breed. BUT, this girl is psycho (the fun type) and smart as crap. She does not like to be picked up and will growl and go nuts. Then of course like almost all dogs, don't mess with her food or try to take food type items away. She has opened me up before.

Other than that, she listens incredibly well, learns "tricks" in what seems like a matter of minutes, and likes to lay beside me and watch TV and get petted. At least until the War Department gets home, then she is gone following her around....TRAITOR.

She is only 1-1/2 YO so over time, some things have calmed down. But I wouldn't give her up. She is still an awesome dog overall.

We have not had her out of the fence to se what she will do yet, the way she chases squirrels in the backyard and barks at the deer, we are afraid she will bail.

Comment

I had a Catahoula for 12 years, my favorite dog ever. Granted, he went everywhere with me, and he knew I was boss, and that right there almost always makes a great dog.

He would retrieve dove and quail, wouldn't point quail but you could tell when he was winding something, track rabbits full circle, sit with me while calling coyotes, track wounded deer, sit and stay until death, and do just about anything else I wanted him to.

He was protective and became more so the older he got, but too much to be honest. He lived in yard and in house. He would get bored and hunt imaginary things in the yard, and never could keep him out of the trash if we left the house. He would also tear into any strange dog in sight. That was a huge problem. He was very much a 1 dog, 1 boss kinda fella.

I never liked his aggressiveness toward other dogs, or people as he aged, so I've never had another Catahoula. But he was dang sure my best buddy for over a decade, flaws and all.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                  I have been raising registered catahoulas since the 80's and had non-registered before that. Personally I do not think either make great pets unless they have a real job. What I mean by that is if they are a cow dog or a hog dog that gets used a fair bit then they are ok....but if you want one to live in a small city backyard they tend to become a problem. Both breeds are high energy, hard headed, high prey driven breeds. They need an outlet for these instincts. Like I said I have raised them for a long time. I like both breeds but I have a dachshund for blood trailing.

^^^^^^ this is spot on. I also raise Catahoulas and love them, but they need room to roam and a job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank y'all.

Comment

Working...
                    X