Day hunt for '16 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day hunt for '16 questions

So I'm in the Coast Guard. Which means myself, and the people I work with aren't really ever guaranteed to be in the same place for more than 4/5 years.

That being said, I've been talking to a buncha people here at work about doing a bow only ranch day hunt for a few days next season.

I've gotten a lot of interest. My wife and I will probably go regardless of what everyone else does (if we can get someone to watch the baby). The interest may very well drop off dramatically once the fact that they have to pay money becomes real.

HOWEVER. I'm looking for opinions on these day hunt ranches. I've looked through a buncha threads and watched some live hunts but I'd like to get the best option for us.

Important info:

realistically estimate 5-7 hunters

can't anticipate that everyone will have ground blinds or whatever, so rent-ability is nice

all located in east texas (beaumont) but we'll drive wherever for sure

all military personnel (active/retired) and dependants (reason i bring this up is if you know somewhere that would give a military discount that'd be perfect, however, i know that's a long long long shot)

Looking for something NO TROPHY FEE. (stupid fees put a hurtin on military paychecks.)

Just kinda looking for anyone that has hunted multiple ranches and their opinions on which ones would be best for a group like that.

Also, what time of year would be best? the rut is later in south/west texas than it is here so i'm tryin to figure out when we should look to schedule.

we've browsed the websites of:

Lincoln ranch

First point

Winkel ranch

Brushy hill

if anyone has any suggestions of other places we're open to those too...we're very very much in the planning phase of this trip at this time.

thanks for your help everyone!

I think your on the right path. Never heard of Winkel but the others are about the same with minor differences

Comment

Thanks for your help kactus!

Terrain would be relatively similar I assume...I've lurked a bunch of live hunts...

How do the work? I understand that you get assigned an area and go to town...but are you completely on your own? Ie: would 2 days be enough? (I would likely stay for 6 but not everyone I invited can)

I assume they give you a map...are the maps detailed enough to get an idea of the terrain/corn routes??

Do you get a chance to pick the brains of the guys that work there? Is that even needed?

It's not like we'd all need to shoot monsters to feel satisfied...just seeing deer would be enough...are they that plentiful?

Comment

Extreme Bowhunting S. Tx, Shiloh Bowhunting Ranch, Stonewall, Ok. 2 I have been to in the past. Others Diamond C, Keith Johns Outdoors (KJO) Tx.

Comment

https://m.facebook.com/Rocknoak/ I'm a vet. Mike Kennedy and Russel will do you well tell them Bullshark sent you

Comment

3 of the 4 ranches you listed are no cakewalk when it comes to hunting. I'd say a minimum of 4 days would be needed to get it done. I think around Jan 1 is the best time to be in the brush country. You'll get a map but as far as details like terrain, corn routes/feeders, deer movement, you would have to ask the ranch manager for help. I wouldn't worry about blinds or renting them, deer can pick them out and will walk a circle around you. Just take a shovel, chair, and brush loppers to dig and cut out a spot inside of the brush. I've been to brushy and the Lincoln, seen big deer at both but no shots presented itself. The Lincoln would get the nod from me out of those ranches listed.

Comment

Contact Michael Marbach at Christian Outdoor Alliance. He also runs Veterans Outdoor Alliance. Tell him what you are looking for and I promise you he will hook you up.

Comment

Date on the original post is January. They probably went on the hunt already.

Comment

We've hunted First Point for the last 10 or so years - they can accommodate 5-7 easily / no kill fees (except for the young ones, that's $500 and your pic on the wall of shame) / great places to build "free ground blinds" / corned roads / place to stay / great host (Bo) / lots of really great deer and usually some very nice folks to cook and eat with at night. I killed a really night 152" 10 PT this last season.....so if I can do it, anyone can!!!

What I will warn you about though, this ain't your average pull up, hide and shoot kinda place.....it takes a little work and knowledge. These deer are very very smart....so if you go to FP, do your homework, listen to Bo and PM me if you need to!!! I highly highly recommend First Point Bowhunting!!!

Comment

Barjdayhunts.com

Comment

Double L Ranch

BOWHUNTING SOUTH TEXAS FOR WILD HOGS, EXOTICS, WHITETAIL

Comment

Working...
                      X