No announcement yet.

Delaying torn rotator cuff surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it isn't killing you, and the Doc said you can wait, I'd put it off until after deer season.

Comment

All the responses are interesting. Seems like tendon issues are common. My problem is with an elbow. I did "something" lifting a heavy kayak into a truck bed while on a steep bank. There was a sharp pain and it felt over stretching a dry rotted rubber band. It just felt hot after that for a while like I had a hand warmer held against it. Last week I couldn't pick up a coffee cup with out a lot of pain. I'm going through the treatment process now. I had a shot and I'm in physical therapy. Doc says I have to that for some weeks before he is justified in ordering the MRI, of course at $120 a pt session.

Comment

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the stories and opinions.

Looks like I am going to hold off on surgery for a while. Now 4 days after the steroid shot and I am 90%.

No issues sleeping and i was able to shoot 20 arrows today and pass my archery lease qualification.

At this point, i'll just see what time brings.... maybe make some insurance adjustments and do it in the new year.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

With your situation I would hold off. Last May to took a fall and tore my RC. Full thickness tear on the supraspinatus with some fraying on my labrum. I did not have full functionality of my shoulder for 3 weeks so I opted for the surgery. Had it fixed on July 1st and with PT I was able to start shooting my bow within 60 days a low poundage. The key is PT. Without it will never work right again. I trained hard all the way to November and was sitting in a bow stand in Kansas the first week of Nov drawing 70#. Now the recovery is still long as hell. I'm well over the one year make and would not consider myself 100% I still have issues with tightness and heavy lifting above my shoulder. I can do anything I please. I coach baseball and football shoot and fish to my hearts content without pain but there is still a weakness I find every so often where I have to compensate for. Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
            UPDATE:

Thanks for all the stories and opinions.

Looks like I am going to hold off on surgery for a while. Now 4 days after the steroid shot and I am 90%.

No issues sleeping and i was able to shoot 20 arrows today and pass my archery lease qualification.

At this point, i'll just see what time brings.... maybe make some insurance adjustments and do it in the new year.

Update:

Steriod shot wore off. Going back in tomorrow to beg for a 2nd one.

I have 2 deer down with the bow, so I am looking to schedule the repair surgery for Dec.

Comment

i have two torn tendons in my rotator cuff from motocross "accidents" and have been putting off surgery for 5 or more years. i had to pretty much give up going to the gym to make the pain level tolerable. its probably not the best idea to put it off since it can create other issues and other damage. also have a bad disc in my neck so that take my mind off the shoulder most of the time!

Comment

Just another day at the doctor's office. Best wishes on a successful surgery.
                Attached Files

Comment

im in the imaging field and can tell you its not going to just heal itself.. however that specific looks like your supraspinatus is partially torn, being that its the strongest in the body id say you are fine to put it off till end of season. also looks like you have impingement from the ac jt they can roto rooter that clean when in there, it will help that tendon slide without a snag

Get a second look and see what it looks like now

Comment

Check out Airrosti Rehab. We are in your area. I work on and treat many of these issues with good success. Pretty much if we cant fix it or help tremendously, then surgery is the next option. Sent you a PM

Comment

Feel your pain!!!
                      Tore mine in March and had surgery in August. I am now in physical therapy until who knows when!!!

The MRI said SLAP tear but he found a 50% rotator cuff tear and other stuff when he went in. Good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                        Update:

Steriod shot wore off. Going back in tomorrow to beg for a 2nd one.

I have 2 deer down with the bow, so I am looking to schedule the repair surgery for Dec.

Sorry to hear, but I would have made a pretty safe bet the shot would not last. One thing is certain..from ALL the advice and responses you have got, everyone is different and every injury is different depending on individual physical make up. I still remember the surgeon planning on a few simple scope wound entries, but when I woke up I had a substantial scar. Simple, he said..the degree of injury was much greater than the MRI initially revealed.

One good thing...he made the incision to avoid messing up my Tats on the shoulder. Still remember he told me with all the NBA players he has worked on, he learned early to preserve the ink. Well, he has a sense of humor anyway. Good luck and DO THE REHAB religiously if you have the surgery!!

Comment

Working...
                        X