No announcement yet.

Hangon vs Climber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having this debate right now with myself. I have used a climber for the past 4 or 5 years hunting public land and the place I'm hunting now has some trees for the climber, but there are a lot more available trees for a hang on with some rapid rails. I walked into a set this weekend, had a cluster of trees picked out for my climber, but wasn't able to get as high as I wanted and ended up being a lot closer to the trail the deer were using than I would have liked. I picked another tree out about 17 yards from the trail, but soon found out that the tree was too small for the climber to get very high. I ended up sitting in that tree any ways, just made sure my harness was strapped to the tree and I took my time standing up, and sitting down.

I'll be looking for a set of rails and hang on, and comparing the two this season.

Comment

I grew up in Kentucky and climbers worked great there. Tons of tall oaks and hickory trees to choose from. Since living in Oklahoma and Texas hunting public hangons are the better choice for me. I'm not limited by the size or how strait the tree is. If I want to I can lock it in the tree and pull the sticks on my way down.

Comment

It really boils down in my opinion to the area you are hunting, but both will work. I would let my scouting of the area decide. I have both, I brought a few cheap $50 hang on stands that if I hunting the area for a few days, depending on the rules of the public land area, I will leave it up and take my sticks, that if someone stole them on public land, I wouldn't be that mad. I also have a climber for that area that i will on hunt that have a lot of straight trees and I can change locations quickly.

Comment

Hang ons are the bomb. Esp if you are in an area with live oaks like in TX. I own 2 Lone Wolfs and 1 muddy...I've modified each one with cord wrapped around the edges, foot rests and thicker seat cushions. I've done a few all day sits in them, which works if you take the time to level and make it comfy. Like the other said go on youtube or PM me and I'll tell you...but I got my ideas from youtube.
          Like another TBH'er mentioned---I also purchased a very inexpensive lock on and sticks (vs lone wolfs) for public land. My feelings won't be AS hurt if someone decided to risk gripping the set up. Would def consider taking the sticks if you are going to leave the stand. don't forget to invest in a good harness too. Lastly, consider getting a MOLLE along with back pack straps. Potentially, you are going to have lock-on, sticks, backpack, bow, and quiver to haul in...It's worth it. You can get MOLLEs on ebay for cheap.

Comment

hang on with climbing sticks

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hang on and climbing sticks. I prefer a platform mounted bow holder on all of mine. I love my summit climber just not as versatile in my opinion.

Comment

Lone wolf hand climber for me . It’s just so versatile , and I never have trouble finding trees to climb in the SNF . I like to get 25’-30’ off the ground and take my stand with me when I leave . that’s almost impossible with a hang on and climbing sticks ..

Comment

Never tried a climber. I'm too fat and surely would be winded and sweaty after inching up a tree.

Comment

I have one of each.

Climber: Summit Viper SD

Hang-on: Hawk Helium XL with Helium climbing sticks.

I honestly don't use the climber as much since I got the hang on. I find the hang on allows me access to more areas by being more adaptable. Still not sure I'd part with my climber though.

Comment

I like a hang on best. I have a lone wolf millennium 150 and a game tamer. But crazy thing is the last couple of years I've hunted off the ground in a natural blind made of brush and cedars. I've seen way more deer �� hunting on the ground.

Comment

I've been hunting out of climbers for 27 years in the SHNF and have used it in the SNF. I've used hang-on's but they are a lot harder to get as high as I like in a tree. They also aren't nearly as fast to get set up either. My vote is a good climber! In the SNF and the SHNF you want regret it!

Comment

If I'm hunting somewhere with a lot of pine trees, my climber is my go to. Now that I'm hunting a place with not near as many pines as there are oaks, I'm using my hang on a lot more and it's pretty dang easy to setup on short notice.

Comment

Working...
                            X