No announcement yet.

Words of Wisdom - Wanting to start shooting Traditional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot guys! I look forward to taking the plunge here soon.

Comment

Jason, I see you live in Mansfield. Cowtown Bowhunters in Ft. Worth will have some traditional 3-D shoots right after hunting season is over. Really a great bunch of guys there you can learn from. Just walk up to a bunch of guys, explain you are new to trad, and ask if you can shoot with them. I am sure they would welcome you. You will be miles ahead if you can find a traditional mentor near you to work with you. That can sometimes be difficult. Many folks shoot compounds only and some pro shops have little or no trad items for sale nor do some of their technicians know much about trad. You can be self taught by reading, Youtube and internet but much less of a learning curve in a group environment as well as more fun. The above posters have given some very good advice here. Ask anyone here on the trad site questions and don't be bashful. Some of these guys are really good.

Comment

Jason if you don’t mind hanging out with some Veterans there is a group that shoots in the Fort Worth area.

One of the shooters makes all his stuff by hand as well. You could learn allot from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
          Thanks a lot guys! I look forward to taking the plunge here soon.
          Here is a tip for you I just thought of. Everybody mentions 3D shoots, and you are not going to really get to go to one until the spring time. But you can do yourself 2 favors during hunting season.

1) Get started shooting traditional. Get you a bow. Get setup... etc. Enjoy the stress free shooting time when you aren't relying on it to get a deer down.

2) Start looking at your setups at your lease, land, hunting grounds. How far are you setup with your compound? If you were like me, you were setup at 20-25 yards to the feeder, etc. Start looking at cutting that in half. How do you get 10-12 yards from where they will be. If you can't move around your set... start thinking about how you can get them in closer (hand corning.) Getting closer, or getting them closer to you is the name of the game when it comes to traditional bowhunting. Start thinking about that now. Use your range finder and start getting into that frame of mind now.... rather than next year. If you try and kill a deer this year with your compound at 10 yards and are successful... you are gaining some good experience. Also, don't rely on the minute of time you have with the let-off on your wheel bow.

Comment

Join Traditional Bow Hunters of Texas and attend as many 3D shoots as you can ! Great people, tons of experience and a lot of fun!

Comment

Chuck (76Aggie) mentioned Cowtown Bowmen in Fort Worth. Starting in January we have club shoots about once a month. (30 target 3d course) There is a traditional class at these shoots - we have a fair number of trad shooters in the club, both veterans and beginners. You don't have to be a member to shoot - you should come join us. Then in late February we host our "Winter Traditional Shoot". If you come you will meet quite a few TBH trad guys. I agree with SwampRabbit that this is a good time of year to get started. If you put the time in, there is no reason you can't head to the field with confidence carrying a trad bow next season.

Comment

Working...
              X