Broadhead advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead advice needed.

I am currently shooting 2 blade Magnus Stingers as these were recommended by the experienced guys here. My question is why would Viper tricks not work out of my recurve. I understand they don't look the trad part but I am only interested in killing effectiveness. My arrows are 500 grains traveling just under 200 fps. I have a bunch of Vipers for my compound that could be used for the recurve if it will work. Any advice in this area would be appreciated.

They will work as long as you have the delivered energy to handle the multi blade.

I suggest you shoot them & the stingers side by side into a good broadhead target, and see what difference there is in penetration.
    If there is a difference, and you can live with it, then get after it.

I've used multi blade heads for years with zero problem, BUT shooting anywhere from 65 to 98 pounds of draw weight with arrows of 600gr plus I also knew I had plenty of deliverance to make them work.

The bottom line is - you won't know until you know, but seeing the difference first hand in a target before seeing it in an animal will go a long way in helping you make the decision.

Rick

Comment

Truth.

Comment

Thanks Rick. I will do some comparison tests into my Block. The Viper Trick is COC and seems like it might be ok.
        98 pd draw is legit. Are you a Viking?
        Last edited by speck1; 11-18-2015, 06:49 AM.

Comment

This was not me, but a guy I know:

Recurve - 50 @ 28", drawn a to 27", so roughly 48# at his draw.

Arrows - 125 grain 3 blade muzzy 100 grain brass insert. Don't know total arrow weight, but I'm guessing 10 gpp or better.

Shot distance 23 yards from a tree stand.
          Animal recovery distance 50 yards.

I don't know if he got two holes, but it obviously did the job.

Rick

Comment

That is what I was hoping for. I just feel more confident with the Viper than I do with the Stinger. I have no experience with the Stinger at all. Never shot one at a deer but have killed lots of critters with the Vipertrick.

Comment

I loved magnus shooting out of my compound. I actually went to Zwickey, an no frills, ugly, old tech broadhead that is just sharpened steal. I initially did it because I needed a 175gr head and didn't want to mess with insert weights at the time. I am glad it worked out that way. I found out that those heads are virtually indestructible. I shot it into 3/8" plywood and the broadhead won. Did the same with some stingers, and lets say it went into the pile for warranty returns.

Go with what you are comfortable with. For me, that is putting more steal into the head and supporting the cutting edge. The only thing I'd like to do a little different is find a convex head vs the straight or slightly convex head.

Comment

I am just never completely sure I have the edges on the Magnus or Zwickey as sharp as they should be. They seem sharp but not like the blades on a Slick Trick.

Comment

Rage Hyperdermic and G5 T3. Best broad heads I've ever used. Both have given me the red carpet treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by grishw1 View Post
                    Rage Hyperdermic and G5 T3. Best broad heads I've ever used. Both have given me the red carpet treatment.
                    Not off a trad bow, I bet?

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      Not off a trad bow, I bet?

Bisch
                      I'll second that.

Rick

Comment

Any sharp head will work on a good shot. The issue comes when when you hit a big bone. You have a better chance of getting to vitals with a cut on contact 2 blade.

Comment

Working...
                        X