Rear air bags on 3/4 ton for hauling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear air bags on 3/4 ton for hauling

Who's got them and how helpful are they? I pull a skid steer and backhoe from time to time with a 20' car hauler bumper pull and get a little sway and bouncing on some roads even with a balanced load. I understand a rough road will be rough either way but am curious with heavier loads if the air bags are beneficial. Pickup is a 2007 Chevrolet 2500 duramax. Thanks

I run them. They definitely will lift up to level out. The only bad thing is that they are bouncy . Still, beats the heck out of driving an F350 to be beat to death on every dirt road. I run bout 5 lbs empty, and air up as needed. I pull my 39' RV and a 30' GN loaded with two CJ's just fine. I run a F 250.

Comment

I have run them on the last 3 trucks I've owned. I will not ever own another one without them. They will make a night and day difference on anything over 2k lb over the axles. The only down fall to them is on my old 13 Dmax I had a rear axle tube seal go to leaking I'm guessing from being over loaded too much. The bags has a tendency to give you a good feeling about being over weight

Comment

Seems like Firestone is pretty popular. Any advice on brand?

Comment

I've bought ride rite kits which was a Firestone product. Never had any issues other than deflating one unknowingly and the rear suspension travel took a big slice from the bag. Not the bags fault

Comment

Following.

Firestone is what I have been looking at.

For you that have them, do you have on board air or do you inflate/deflate as needed?

Also do you air them up before or after adding a load?

Comment

Mike, from what I've gathered an on board air compressor is really not necessary. The amount of air needed is so small it seems that a manual bicycle pump would be sufficient. Given, I don't have fist hand expirence on this and am all ears if I'm incorrect.

Comment

A good bicycle pump with a built in gauge is all you need. Plumb the Schrader valves through the rear bumper right next to the license plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Following.

Firestone is what I have been looking at.

For you that have them, do you have on board air or do you inflate/deflate as needed?

Also do you air them up before or after adding a load?

I have the on board air with remote control. I keep 10 lbs air in the bags at all time. When I put a load on, I just eye ball the squat of truck, and then adjust the level until I like it.

Comment

Firestone
                    I add air as needed.
                    Definitely worth the investment.

Comment

I have them on my '12 Chevy Duramax. Great when towing, but a rough as heck ride when not if you don't soften them up. Mine have the valves that come out to the license plate and double for the plate mounting up.

Comment

What about having them on a half ton? My Tundra pulls my camper like a champ but the weight sure squats the rear end more than I'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Centraltexan View Post
                          I have the on board air with remote control. I keep 10 lbs air in the bags at all time. When I put a load on, I just eye ball the squat of truck, and then adjust the level until I like it.
                          my buddy is getting rid of his truck and I am getting the bags off it but would like the on board compressor

which one did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            A good bicycle pump with a built in gauge is all you need. Plumb the Schrader valves through the rear bumper right next to the license plate.
                            I put mine I side the fuel fill door. Much cleaner install.

Add air after loaded. Then u can use a tape measure to see when ur level.

I had a cabover camper that was weighted to one side due to the bathroom. Really nice to be able to fill one bag more than the other and have a level ride.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                              my buddy is getting rid of his truck and I am getting the bags off it but would like the on board compressor

which one did you buy?

I have the air lift compressor with Firestone bags.

Comment

Working...
                              X