X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Val Verde County

How's the hunting?

Wish I could tell you.

Looks like I won't be making the 9.5hr drive this year.

Comment

Dad went opening weekend, saw lots of deer. Only thing weird was there was a bunch of poor bodied deer walking around. Mainly does but he said they looked terrible. Did see a giant ten out of bow range but he'll catch up with him in gun season.

Comment

Originally posted by ram04 View Post
        Dad went opening weekend, saw lots of deer. Only thing weird was there was a bunch of poor bodied deer walking around. Mainly does but he said they looked terrible. Did see a giant ten out of bow range but he'll catch up with him in gun season.
        The ten sounds promising but the doe's don't. I'll be hitting Langtry from 12/4-8 during smoke pole season. I'll be shooting my dad's Ruger #1 7mm Mag. It'll feel good to harvest some deer with my old man's boom sick.

Any other reports?

Comment

Val Verde county 1/2 way down Dolan Creek rd

I went two weeks ago for 3 days and just got back yesterday from a 4 day hunt. It was awesome! Saw great deer both hunts, but this Fri, Sat storms had the washes running 2-3ft deep until Sunday eve. Did see a shooter 9pt on Fri right at dusk and a real nice shooter 10pt on Sun right at dusk as well. Deer look healthy with most does having twin fawns. Temp was 45 deg yesterday morning. Sweeeeeeet!

Comment

I hunt right on the Sutton Co border and deer activity has been fantastic. Acorns are dropping and the mature bucks are very infrequent in visiting the feeders. With all this rain, there will be a good green-up and early rifle season will probably be slow (as far as hunting feeders goes). My deer have all blown up this year and there are some studs that I have my sights on. Best of luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Ag_Attack View Post
              I hunt right on the Sutton Co border and deer activity has been fantastic. Acorns are dropping and the mature bucks are very infrequent in visiting the feeders. With all this rain, there will be a good green-up and early rifle season will probably be slow (as far as hunting feeders goes). My deer have all blown up this year and there are some studs that I have my sights on. Best of luck to you!
              Thats great, deer looked great in velvet on my place but last round of pics showed they had just peckered out.

Comment

Appreciate the update fella's. Good luck to all!

Comment

Up

Comment

Dad's up there now. 1 forky and 8 does over yesterday's hunt. Feeder was broken but now fixed. Will keep updated.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                      Dad's up there now. 1 forky and 8 does over yesterday's hunt. Feeder was broken but now fixed. Will keep updated.
                      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
                        thanks
                        Am report, 1 buck before shooting light, rest slick heads with 1 young buck.

Comment

Originally posted by icetrauma View Post
                          Am report, 1 buck before shooting light, rest slick heads with 1 young buck.
                          Slow movin huh...

Comment

Have no experience with the feeder hunting but everyone that does hunt feeders has mentioned that the rains over the last month have deminished deer activity at feeders. We are seeing more deer and bigger racks on deer than anything we have seen in the recent past. There are a lot of young deer that are smaller then usuall and I am not sure as to why other than maybe it's that does are feeding twin fawns.

On a side note we are seeing way more mountain lions than ever before. We recently even had a pair of ML on one of he cameras. Rancher called in some varmint hunters who along with their dogs were able to get one of the cats. Good luck to all and for those that hunt strictly bow I would advice bringing a rifle just in case a cat appears and gives an opportunity for a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                              Have no experience with the feeder hunting but everyone that does hunt feeders has mentioned that the rains over the last month have deminished deer activity at feeders. We are seeing more deer and bigger racks on deer than anything we have seen in the recent past. There are a lot of young deer that are smaller then usuall and I am not sure as to why other than maybe it's that does are feeding twin fawns.

On a side note we are seeing way more mountain lions than ever before. We recently even had a pair of ML on one of he cameras. Rancher called in some varmint hunters who along with their dogs were able to get one of the cats. Good luck to all and for those that hunt strictly bow I would advice bringing a rifle just in case a cat appears and gives an opportunity for a shot.
                              I definitely will be carrying my rifle or pistol maybe both.

Comment

Working...
                              X