Mesquite Bowhunting Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mesquite Bowhunting Update

Returned from Mesquite Bowhunting in South Texas on our quest for Exotics and my daughter's FFirst Bow Kill. Although I never took a shoot, she managed to go 50%. Two misses and her first wo kills (story in hunting reports - My Daughters Bowhunter).
    The place is great. Good quantity of animals and a outfitter willing to help out with any request you may have; be it moving stands, making groud blinds, or whatever you need.

Gerald's operation is not a walk in the park. You need to bring your "A" game as the animals are easily spooked. Most shots are under 30 yards, but there are some locations where you could have a longer shot.

We are already talking about a return trip and it cannot happen fast enough for me. If you want to hunt it, gerald can get it. Everything from hogs to buffalo, to axis to ibex. Hogs and rams are plentiful, and the Aoudad are there as well. There is one that I saw that is great; the full mane and chaps with very good headgear. Right now Fallow are in velvet, but should be out with in the next couple of months. Animals are in great shape body wise.
    For my first ever exotic hunt, I AM HOOKED.......

Thanks Gerald.

what kind of numbers did you see on the hogs?

Comment

anywhere from one big boar to up to 10 in a group. It all depends on which set up you are in.

Comment

I can't wait to get back out there myself. What do his fallow look like? He didn't have any when I was out there.

Comment

Fallows were still in velvet. Should be hard horned by late August. They are in great shape though. Fat and Sassy...

Comment

I am curious as to why you didn't shoot anything. I have a group going there in Oct. I have never been but liked the looks of the web site,the price,and the trophy pics so I decided to book. They are kinda close to me too. We are all going for the exotic package but some of the guys are already addin other stuff to their hunt. One guy has added a red stag and another is talking about adding a second hard horned animal. I don't really care about the hogs as I have a ranch full of them so it will take a big boar to get my attention.

Comment

NDavey...

The reason I dod not shoot was not because of not seeing any animals, it was thatthe Fallows were in Velvet and off limits. With an Exotic Hunt, the animals have to be Hard Horned. Had I had booked it in late August or afterm then there would not have been an issue. When you go you should have no issues at all....
              Good Luck and keep us posted..

Comment

NDavey

I have hunted there numerous times, killed the following, hogs, buffalo, water buffalo, fallow, 6 x 6 elk, and alot of beer..... LOL
                I havent shot every time i been there and have even left with out shooting, sometimes it is because i wait cause I am waiting for the better shot or possibly the btter animal. Its ton of fun to hunt and you have to be on top of your game , its definately not a target shoot and you can lose before you win.

Great place and the hunting and hospitality are alwasy great.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I always get a little nervous whe nchecking out a new ranch.(new for me) I have heard alot of good things about the place and their web site looks great with the pics and all.

Comment

sounds like fun!!

Comment

hcshooter whats up???

Comment

NDavey,
                        trust me, you will LOVE IT. Gerald will do what it takes to put you on what you are looking for.
                        Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
                          NDavey,
                          trust me, you will LOVE IT. Gerald will do what it takes to put you on what you are looking for.
                          Good luck
                          I don't mean to hijack your thread, NDavey, but my wife just bought me a hunt there at Mesquite Bowhunting for my birthday and I'm also trying to gather some good info on the place and I didn't want to have to start another thread.

Bowanta,

I was told by Gerald that the Axis he has on the place usually shed in Mid-December and they will be in velvet from Jan-April time frame. He suggested doing the Axis hunt from May through December. What are your thoughts on this.

I am doing the Axis plus two hogs deal...I think there are several of us TBHer's going.

Oh, and good luck NDavey...when are you going???

Tom

Comment

Knight in Mossy Oak.... I am going in Oct. I think it is the 3rd or 4th.

Comment

You guys will have a blast. HCShooter long time no talk.

Comment

Working...
                              X