• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
    Great post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you.

In regards to the question about what work is done that wears me out...let me see if I can answer. But first let me clarify, you could own 150 acres and not wear yourself out, but I can assure you that there is more work involved with ownership than with leasing. And no doubt, if I was on it to play the big antler game, the right choice would have been to remain on a large lease. That being said we have built some incredible memories on the land including several nice bucks.

But more specifically I do projects that may or may not be 100% necessary (projects you would not do if you were leasing) and when I bought the place it was basically unused for 10 years. Let’s just say it’s a better piece of land today (whether or not these improvements parlayed into better deer hunting is anyone’s guess). And in those early years I was younger and sweat equity was easier and cheaper.

There is always grass that needs cutting, large limbs that fall in roads, trees falling, blinds need repairing, gates, tallow tree control, fixing roads, etc. Again, some of these things get done by others or just don’t get done in a lease.

Hope this is informative. i am very happy and it feels good to sweat on one’s own land.

Comment

I think everyone should buy their own ranch!

Comment

I have 195 in Jones and lease in San Saba. Right now it's a toss up.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
          I own 150 acres in Polk County. I sweat, bleed, curse and work my muscles until I can’t move. There are times I do not enjoy, but I would not trade it for anything (and I did leave a great east tx deer lease once I bought my place).

My suggestion is as follows, are you buying to deer hunt or are you buying to enjoy all aspects of land ownership (stewardship, improvements, fishing, maybe livestock, pride of ownership, etc.)? If your thrill of the outdoors begins and ends with deer antlers, then stick to a large lease with other management minded individuals.
          Ok, this is my plan. I am looking at small pieces, 18-70 acres, several are butted against National Forest, some are not. The states are Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Texas and La are over valued. The property varies in price depending on access, state, county, etc.

I am planning to hunt only with very little improvement to the property, right now. Depending on the state, we will live there when I retire. The biggest thing I would do to the property is thinning timber, food plots(maybe) and some burning if its possible.

I am thinking it is gonna cost me twice as much to buy(finance) vs lease per year.

Maybe this will help a little bit more, thanx for the inputs. I need all you can give me.
          Last edited by lovemylegacy; 01-02-2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I bought a small place north of Rocksprings 7 years ago, and it has been a great experience for me. I have done a lot of work on it, and it’s been rewarding. But I enjoy projects and have been guilty of making up new things just to keep busy.

I’ve never been a paid member on a lease - I’ve been a guest many times when I was younger. It seems like I hear often of Hunters that are looking for a lease for one reason or another, and I wouldn’t want to be in that situation.

Comment

I own 147 acres, enjoy it a lot. Do not live on it but I do have barn and rv set up with electric, water and septic. I have another 5 acres in a subdivision with a house we built 2001.

I would get on a lease and pay real good if it was local and I was the only one on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                Ok, this is my plan. I am looking at small pieces, 18-70 acres, several are butted against National Forest, some are not. The states are Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Texas and La are over valued. The property varies in price depending on access, state, county, etc.

I am planning to hunt only with very little improvement to the property, right now. Depending on the state, we will live there when I retire. The biggest thing I would do to the property is thinning timber, food plots(maybe) and some burning if its possible.

I am thinking it is gonna cost me twice as much to buy(finance) vs lease per year.

Maybe this will help a little bit more, thanx for the inputs. I need all you can give me.
                Arkansas has a lot going for it(except healthcare), eastern Oklahoma too. We have been looking at this as well.

Comment

Own Land - money is going into something I can get back later.
                  Lease - money goes to land owner

Own land - don't need to worry about losing lease due to sale
                  Lease - losing it because land owner sells. Or land owner get's better offer.

Own land - property taxes
                  Lease - no taxes

Own land - improvements for hunting (maintain roads, food plots, etc)
                  Lease - improvements for hunting (maintain roads, food plots, etc)

Own land - you decided who goes on the property
                  Lease - land owner lets friends or family on.

Own land - hunting the same area all the time but could join a lease for 2nd area to hunt
                  Lease - can get on different lease otherwise hunting the same area all the time.

Own land - no camp camaraderie
                  Lease - camp camaraderie

Own land - will depend on your budget, but probably a small tract.
                  Lease - potentially a much bigger tract of land due to being a lease member

Own land - if small tract, what are neighbors doing (like minded in terms of management.)

Lease - big tract, not as big a deal if neighbors are like minded.

Overall, I'd prefer to own the land. For me, my time is limited, so a lease would frustrate me as I'd feel like I was throwing money away. However, clearly there are are pros and cons to both. Only you can decide what is best for your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                    We bought 130 trinity river bottom land just before deer season. Adding another 42 acres right now and hope to own the 250 between them soon and have another 130 to use as my own. Beteeen them all I look forward to focusing all my hunting there next season as I am giving up all my leases to do so. I can not wait!!
                    Glad to hear that Richard. Good for yall!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never had a lease. I will say that land ownership for me is much less about hunting and more about family and making memories. I dont feel the pressure that I have to kill something rather it is just a bonus. I would caution against buying land that is too far away to enjoy. Our land is 75 minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        I've been on many a lease including 12,000 acres of King Ranch For me, nothing beats the enjoyment of land ownership and I hope to never have to lease again.My land, my vision, my lifestyle. And that is what land ownership has become for me...a lifestyle.
                        This, I’ve hunted on a couple of ranches that you have been on, and one that you currently own. If you can swing it, there is no better feeling in the world than having your own place. My dad and I made that decision about 20 years ago , and have never looked back. We have been very blessed to have the opportunity to build and develop a very unique piece of property in west Texas. I’ve learned a lot from threads on this forum and through our own trial and error, and as Elgato states, it’s become a passion and life changing event for my dad and I. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.
                        I miss hunting in Mexico!
                        Last edited by drslonghorn; 01-02-2019, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I both a 160 acre place this year in Oklahoma and I have had a blast there! My family and my two hunting buddies have really enjoyed it! I just got tired of all the leasing BS. I'd been following all of Darton's Oklahoma threads and thought why can't I do the same thing as he is doing. I PM'ed him and off we went! It has been a great experience! I make the rules and at the end of the year my old lease payments make 4 of my monthly payments. Plus I have a great investment property to sell one day when I decide to cash out. I love projects on the piece and setting up new spots to hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                            I've never had a lease. I will say that land ownership for me is much less about hunting and more about family and making memories. I dont feel the pressure that I have to kill something rather it is just a bonus. I would caution against buying land that is too far away to enjoy. Our land is 75 minutes away.
                            This is an impossibility due to the inflated properties of Tx and La. land.

The one thing I did look at was buying a place on the lake next to Natl Forest. Fishing and hunting, but you gotta deal with the public idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post

It’s not overvalued, you just have to find the right tract. The best part of land in Tx (and east Tx to be specific) in regards to hunting is staying off of it and thinking of it as a timber investment doesn’t require a lot of work.....and it tends to work out in your favor.
                              Last edited by d_e_smith; 01-02-2019, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
                                2300 acres owned by my Dad and Uncle never had to deal with leasing land to hunt
                                I count my Blessings everytime I go through the Gate
                                And you should... nice deal

Comment

Working...
                                X