Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happend with shot......your opinion????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happend with shot......your opinion????

3 weeks ago today I checked my daughter out of school early to take advantage of our early youth hunt here in Central Louisiana. It had rained all day and was breaking off as we headed to the stand about 3:30. I had pictures of this buck along with a large eight point on a regular basis. As soon as we climbed in the stand we had two does poke their heads out of the WRP and begin to feed. About an hour before dark I look down the road and see the big 11 point that I nicknamed "Skyscraper" and behind him was the big 8 point and behind him was a small 8 point. The bucks walked to us in a single file line and until they hit the corn and rice bran that I had out at 150 yards. My 12 year old daughter got the gun out the window and I told her that the buck we wanted was on the left as I flipped the safety off. She squeezed the trigger as I looked thru the binoculars. The buck spun hard and off into the WRP weed patch he went. I couldn't tell anything about the shot at this point. We got down and looked for blood and couldn't find anything. I had to wade a ditch up to my waist to look for blood and still couldn't find anything. I went back to the road and found some white hair and as I picked up a piece of the hair I noticed the lead from the bullet laying in the road with white hair on it!!!!! I went back the next morning and walked and walked and walked looking for blood or any sign of this buck but found nothing. We have been looking for buzzards for 3 weeks now and have seen nothing.

At this point I am still scratching my head as to what happened? Something had to absorb the energy from the bullet and tear it apart. We have run cameras the last 3 weeks and the bucks this deer was running with have all been caught on camera since then. Any idea what could have happened????

150 yard shot
    7mm-08 shooting Hornady 139 grain Interlock bullet
    No limbs or anything obstructing shot
    One disappointed 12 year old daughter
    Attached Files

What gun was she shooting? and how big bodied was the deer?

nevermind just saw the gun and load

Comment

I have pics of deer and hair on ground but cant get them to upload. Anybody got an email I can send the pics to that can help post them?

Comment

Hard to say. Maybe brisket shot that’s just a guess.

Comment

The buck
          Attached Files

Comment

This is all we could find.
            Attached Files

Comment

Brisket hair.
              From the evidence you have, I would say that deer is alive and well.
              Last edited by Jimbo47; 11-22-2017, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                Brisket hair
                That is what I thought as well. But.......could the bullet graze him and end up laying flat on the ground like that?? Could it have gotten into him enough to kill him and end up on the ground like that??? I have even had people say that she shot low and the bullet hit the ground in front of him breaking up the bullet and it ricocheted into him?????

Comment

Or leg shot.
                  I’m guessing that deer is still alive.

What a tank.
                  How much do you think that deer weighs?

Comment

my wife grazed a deer about several years ago and he went down like he was hit hard but after 20-25 seconds he was up and and gone. my guess is that it may shock their system I really don't know. She killed him 3 weeks later she had grazed his brisket about 1/2 inch deep all the way across. Good luck tell her keep her head up.

Comment

Looks like he had a bullet proof vest on! Crazy!

Comment

Had the same thing happen with my 14 year old daughter a few weeks go. When she shot I could hear the bullet hit, and could see the buck had damage to front leg. Was sure she had punched through the shoulder and into the chest, and that he was going to crash. He just kept going. We looked all over, when returning to where she shot him. We found zero blood, only a small piece of flesh and a bit of bone. My guess is she hit him low on the shoulder and never entered the cavity. May be a similar issue with your daughter. Lack of blood spells low leg or brisket to me. Good news is he most likely lives to see another day. My daughter is still sick about it, I'm trying to get her back out there.

Comment

It had to have gone through the front legs of the deer, for the bullet to come apart like that and loose it's jacketing. The jacketing is probably still in the deer. I would guess the deer has died. That hair is from the insides of the legs or it's chest. To get that much white hair, I would guess, lower part of the chest and through both front legs. The other option, is it hit the hind quarter and went through a rear leg bone. Either way, the deer has at least one broken leg, probably two seriously damaged legs. It is very possible the deer has bleed to death at this point or gotten where it can't get up and move around and has died of problems caused by the wound and broken legs. If that was from a hind quarter, which would make more sense for you to find the bullet on the ground and the bullet to be in that condition. I would say the deer likely bled to death within a few hours.

Comment

I figure he weighs around 250 or so. I am going to walk the section that he ran into again this weekend and hopefully find him if he is indeed dead. I also have a buddy that does cropdusting for a living and he is going to fly over it for me. If he is dead in the weeds then the coyotes and/or buzzards should have the weeds beat down around him.

Praying that he is still alive and he messes up around Christmas time during our rut and follows a hot doe out into the open.

Comment

My bet would be on a brisket shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X