jack O'Connor on the 7X57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jack O'Connor on the 7X57

Ran across this searching for something else today. For those that haven't read Mr. O'Connors writings he is one of our best gun scribes ever in the opine of many especially those of us that remember him as Shooting editor of Outdoor Life. He wrote this for Gun Digest on the 7X57

Jack O' Connor explains the why and how of the current spate of interest in the little 7mm, the 7X57, from the pages of the Gun Digest 1974 annual edition.

Lots of good in site into hunting and some of the things that have been discussed lately like shot distance is covered in this as well, much better written than I ever could. ..

Just before writing this I read a piece by a writer who dotes on the magnums more than I do. He uses the 7×57 as a dreadful example of the non-magnum. He says that “200 yards is close to the practical killing limit of the 7×57.”-He adds that this is because the energy has then fallen off to about 1,400 ft. pounds.

Jack O’ Connor and friend with a 38½″ gemsbok, the kill made in Southwest Africa in 1972, Jack’s rifle a 7×57.
    Well, I’ve got news for the lad. Two hundred yards is not only the practical killing range of the 7×57, but also the practical killing range of the 30-06, the 7mm Magnum, the 300 Weatherby Magnum, and what have you. The reason for this is that very few hunters can lay the bullets into the vital area of a game animal at any greater distance, even under the most favorable conditions. In fact, I’d bet a sugar cookie that most hunters could kill stuff farther away with the 7×57 than they could with the 7mm Magnum. It would not kick them so hard. They wouldn’t be afraid of it, and they would shoot it better. I have some more news: game is not killed by foot pounds of energy. In fact, the energy has little to do with killing power. Animals are killed by putting in the right place a bullet that penetrates deep enough and opens up adequately.

With the advent of newer bullets the 7X57 might just be better today than when Jack and his wife were traveling the world hunting. What he wrote about it can be said about the 7mm-08 which is its modern ballistic twin, at least until you get over 162gr bullets where the X57 will have a bit of an advantage.
    Last edited by kmon; 11-20-2017, 06:40 PM.

Good read, and a lot of truth. I enjoyed O'Conner's writing but my favorite gun writer of that era was Elmer Keith.

Comment

But I thought I needed a 30-378 to shoot whitetail does at 45 yards!?!?!??

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        Good read, and a lot of truth. I enjoyed O'Conner's writing but my favorite gun writer of that era was Elmer Keith.
        I have enjoyed many of Mr. Keith's writings as well and still do on occasion he had a way with words. His work on handgun bullet designs will out last all of us. The Keith style bullets are shot every day somewhere and will be as long as we can gat lead for loading bullets. And lets not forget the 44 Mag which was his baby to the point he got the first one when it was finally made. I have also killed deer with his bullet design from a 44 special.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
          I have enjoyed many of Mr. Keith's writings as well and still do on occasion he had a way with words. His work on handgun bullet designs will out last all of us. The Keith style bullets are shot every day somewhere and will be as long as we can gat lead for loading bullets. And lets not forget the 44 Mag which was his baby to the point he got the first one when it was finally made. I have also killed deer with his bullet design from a 44 special.
          Yep, he was the reason I bought my first .44 Mag back in 1971, and have not been without one since. I have an autographed copy of his auto-biography "H***, I was There". He led a fascinating life.

Comment

I love the 7x57, especially with heavier 160 grain bullets. My pet load maxes out at a modest 2600 fps, but it gets fantastic penetration. Complete pass throughs on large animals such as zebras and black bears.

My first rifle was a .257 Weatherby, and soon after I bought a .300 Win Mag and various other fast cartridges. Over time I've gravitated towards the 6.5x55 and 7x57. There's just something about the classic cartridges that I find irresistible.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
              I love the 7x57, especially with heavier 160 grain bullets. My pet load maxes out at a modest 2600 fps, but it gets fantastic penetration. Complete pass throughs on large animals such as zebras and black bears.

My first rifle was a .257 Weatherby, and soon after I bought a .300 Win Mag and various other fast cartridges. Over time I've gravitated towards the 6.5x55 and 7x57. There's just something about the classic cartridges that I find irresistible.
              I just picked up a Ruger M77 International in .275 Rigby (Rigby's name for the 7X57). I haven't had a chance to work with it yet so I don't know loads I will like.
              Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful rile, my 7X57 Is also a Ruger but #1 International marked 275 Rigby as well. So far everything I have shot with it has dropped within sight, when I got it I picked up some Federal loaded 140 gr partitions and it shot those into just over inch groups with a 2X7 Burris on top of it. Good enough for the ranges I hunt for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post

Amen brother.

Comment

Mine too, and he and Jack did not see eye to eye. Made for some interesting reading.

Comment

I just picked up a Ruger M77 International in .275 Rigby (Rigby's name for the 7X57). I haven't had a chance to work with it yet so I don't know loads I will like.
                      Jim Corbett's favorite leopard and tiger caliber.

Comment

Few cartridges, in the history of modern firearms, have influenced our shooting world as much as the 7x57mm Mauser.

Comment

I love mine. It was my first deer rifle. I have made some long distance shots with it too. I was using 180 grain on big hogs back in the early 2000s. Now I mainly use the 139 grain hornady. I can drive tacks with it. I love the caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            But I thought I needed a 30-378 to shoot whitetail does at 45 yards!?!?!??
                            minimum

Comment

Working...
                            X