Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longbow riser question (just noticed tiny crack)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just noticed this spot on the bottom of the riser. This bow is new to me but a few years old. I can catch my fingernail on the crack in the epoxy. I have emailed the maker and am waiting on a response but just curious what y’all think. This is probably my favorite bow I have owned... Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not good at all it’s coming apart. Some cracks are ok but that’s on a lamination

Comment

The date on the bow is 11-09

Comment

I'd inject some two ton epoxy in there and tight wrap it with a bike inner tube overnight and let it eat. But that's me. A delam on the belly side of the riser on a three piece would be weird for sure. What's your arrow weight vs bow weight?

Comment

Has to be flexing or something that’s a pretty significant crack. Loctite 420 will penetrate it but if that’s caused by flex or stress it might not hold

Comment

Looks like flexing outward like light arrows or dry fire at one time. Not saying you dry fired it.

Comment

Yep, she coming apart.
              That's why I much prefer laminations running belly to back, instead of side to side.

You can glue it, and maybe it will hold, but being someone who has had risers blow up in my face, "I" would also wrap the snot out of it with something to help it hold.

Rick

Comment

That's what I feared. I spoke with the maker and he said to send it in so he can take a look at it. Like I said, this is my favorite bow to date and they really aren't in production anymore so I have my fingers crossed. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

If it is de-laminating the bow maker should make good on it. Most of them do anyway.

Comment

I think you should consider getting a new one. It's a big crack

Comment

Originally posted by nicksoros View Post
                      I think you should consider getting a new one. It's a big crack
                      Mentioned that to a buddy once. Found out we have different opinions on female anatomy

Comment

I have fixed problems like that in the past. It is really hard to get any glue into the crack, even with a fine needle on a syringe. My answer has been to inject as much glue as possible then to drill and countersink a hole above the crack in an area where there is enough wood to hold a screw. Flood the screw hole with locktite 420, wait a couple of minutes for it to wick, then put a wood screw in making sure that it bottoms out good and tight into the countersunk hole. I am not talking about countersinking with a beveled countersinking bit but actually overboring the hole with a bit the same size as the screw head so that the plug used to cover the screw head can be glued in. You can use a tiny piece of dowel or just tint some epoxy to cover the screw head then do a touch up to the bow finish. If that is a three piece bow you might be able to come in from the back side and not have to worry about messing up the finish on the riser.

Comment

Originally posted by widdler View Post
                          If it is de-laminating the bow maker should make good on it. Most of them do anyway.

I don’t know about that! The bow is 8yrs old, and the OP is not the original owner. No way I would try to hold a bowyer liable on a bow that old!!!

JMHO!!!

OP, I hope it stays together for you!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Last edited by Bisch; 10-27-2017, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            I don’t know about that! The bow is 8yrs old, and the OP is not the original owner. No way I would try to hold a bowyer liable on a bow that old!!!

JMHO!!!

OP, I hope it stays together for you!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            I agree with you, and no I didn't try to hold the bowyer liable at all. I did however email him asking what he thought in which he replied to send it in and he'd take a look. Turns out he fixed it free of charge and I think it's sitting at the post office waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow. All of that done in about a week and a half and all I had to do was pay shipping! Tops in my books - not only are his bows some of my favorite I have shot, he also goes above and beyond what's asked.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I am glad I didn't have to go about trying to fix this myself.

Comment

Good stuff.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X