How do vehicle part recalls work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do vehicle part recalls work?

My wife drives and 07 VW Passat. Her dad bought it for her (used) when she was in college. When we got married, i somehow inherited the payments. But thats a whole different discussion! It has been idling rough for a while now and the check engine light has been on. I finally got around to taking a look at it today. Put a code reader on and it said P0171. Researched that and basically means its running lean. So then i researched the causes and started sorting through them. MAF valve looks brand new and all hoses and valves, that i can find, look to be in good shape. Next on the this is the PCV valve. So i research it a little and find that the part was recalled on this year model. So how does that work? Do i just take it to a dealer and say fix it? Is it free? Does it matter that i am not the original owner?

If it was recalled call a dealer. Shouldn't cost you anything.

Comment

Call your nearest VW dealer with the VIN, & he can tell you if it has the recall or any other recall

Comment

but print out the info you found on-line....back up, if they say yours aint on the list...yes this happens....a lot

Comment

It depends on if the recall is still active.Recalls like that do expire.A pvc valve shouldn't cost very much,it may be easier to just replace it yourself.

DJ

Comment

Usually dealers install at no cost.

Comment

Its a free charge. Just take it to a dealer

Comment

Working...
              X