No announcement yet.

Need advise on bathroom tile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill - They have snips you can get for cutting the small stuff and working the corners. check Home Depot or Lowes.

Comment

I still can't believe what I just did. I picked up the tile today (believable), then at Home Depot picked up 4 inch masonry blades for my Makita chop saw. I've used the chop saw for lots of projects, and with the metal grinding wheels it does a good job sharpening axes and shovel blades.

Anyway, I put on eye protection and my shooting hearing protection, and said "I wonder if I can cut a curve with a straight blade?". Darn if it didn't work great.

Then I cut all the other curves. The one that was left was the hole in the tile for the shower head. "Wonder if I start by making a hex pattern, and then criss crossing it to remove material, will I wind up with something that looks like a hole?".

Darned if it didn't work too. Here's all the pieces, and a rat tail file I used to clean up the edges.

Before and after on the water faucet.

Grout tomorrow, then some sulfamic acid to clean up all the old tile and grout, and seal the new grout, and the job will be done. I'm kind of sorry my wife didn't say to re-do ti all with nice new tile, once I got started the project was not that bad after all.

Comment

Yeeee Haaaa.

Finished the "beast" yesterday, and cleaned all the dirty grout (there's got to be a special place in heaven for husbands who do that for their wifes).

My goal was to get 'r done before deer season opens, and as ridiculous as it sounds, Kauli-fornia Zone A archery deer season opens next Saturday, July 14. Here's a final picture, I don't know why they get this funny pixel pattern on them.

Thanks for all the advice, I hope what I learned about using a chop saw and 4" masonry blade helps somebody else out in the future.

Comment

Working...
        X