Euro in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro in progress

I shot this deer 2 weeks ago and wanted to do a euro mount. I've done the boiling thing before but decided to try maceration this time. I'll never boil one again! I put the skull in a Rubbermaid container, covered it with water and added a little rid-x septic treatment put the lid on and let it sit for 2 weeksClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351261457.537505.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	24931430this is the container I used. I got home from work this morning and pulled the skull out to change the water but there was no need to change it the skull was completely clean! No work involved besides skinning it before putting it in the water. I still have to degrease and whiten it and I'll post more pics when I do that but here it is so farClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351261804.310009.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	24931431Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351261842.740715.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	24931432Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351261875.128192.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	24931433anyone doing their own euro that doesn't have beetles, I highly recommend giving maceration a try, no work and no kind of bone damage at all

Very interesting...will have to give that a try.

Comment

?.... How bad does it smell. Weak stomach when it comes to smells. I did one minus te ridx and I threw up lol. Looks like it did a good job. Any washin or scribing needed besides degreasing?

Comment

I started doing it this way last year. Works awesome. Beats the heck out of messing up the pot when you boil it. Looks great bud!

Comment

Looks good

As a taxidermist I can tell you the smell is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBrokenTine View Post
            Looks good

As a taxidermist I can tell you the smell is terrible.
            On second thought, I think I'll just leave it for the professionals

Comment

Wow, I’m impressed. So what kind of odors does that thing put off while in the container?

Comment

That looks really good. I will def have to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                  Wow, I’m impressed. So what kind of odors does that thing put off while in the container?
                  It really wasn't all that bad. I tried to keep my face as far away as possible when pulling the skull out, and I only gagged once!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
                    ?.... How bad does it smell. Weak stomach when it comes to smells. I did one minus te ridx and I threw up lol. Looks like it did a good job. Any washin or scribing needed besides degreasing?
                    No scrubbing at all, I just pulled it out of the bucket and washed it off with the water hose. I didn't even prep it all that great just skinned it, and cut out the eyes. No scrambling the brain or anything else, there was even a big chunk of meat and the first vertebrae still on the back of the skull when I put it in the water.

Comment

I mascerated a pig skull this year.

Works great. I am clear coating it as we speak.

Empty and refill once a week.

Will post pics when I'm done.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Chaney View Post
                        I only gagged once!
                        LOL!!! Its pretty bad. Ive done this to yote skulls but just used water. Once I put the head in an old pot and put on the roof of the barn. Without a top on the pot the smell didnt get that bad at the house unless the wind was right. I left it like that for about 6 months letting the rain change the water.

Comment

When you drain and refill, It does stink though... My wife let me know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                            When you drain and refill, It does stink though... My wife let me know about it.
                            Yes sir, once you disturb the water it is nasty, I took my head out then kicked the bucket over and ran, I'll go get my bucket when the smell goes away.

Comment

this is a pretty good way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X