axis quest...week one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axis quest...week one

I've wanted a big axis for a LONG time with my bow. I have a big one with my rifle that I killed about 1979. I want one comparable with my bow. I've now got the opportunity. I got on a place between Laredo and Dallas that has some hosses. I'll be hunting for the next month, except for my Junco weekend.

Got back from my first trip yesterday afternoon. Place looks great. I put up 3 popups and built a couple cedar blinds. I saw some deer that I've got my sights on.

I would have gotten more video and pics, but I did my usual "first trip" stuff. I got my second camera back from my little brother and took it to my blind and in the Ranger with me, instead of my other camera that was charged and ready. got out there and...no tape! I tried to take some pics with the camera directly to my card....not formatted and can't pull up the pics.

I did get about 8 minutes of video of this one. I had seen several bucks in this area and decided I needed a cedar blind. I headed out Monday morning to this spot, scoped the cedar thicket, put in my folding chair and cut out some shooting holes. My Ranger was parked about 40 yards away on the road. When I finished and started to chum the area, the sack I had was ripped on both ends. When I took it out, I spilled a pile behind the Ranger and in a spot where anything eating it couldn't be seen. I chummed the road in front of the cedar thicket leaving myself less than 20 yard shots.

When I parked the Ranger off a ways, and got in the blind, I started putting on my release and this buck walked out like he owned the place. Went right to my spilled area and stayed there. I got a few glimpses of him, but for about 30 minutes he basicly stayed hidden, leaving we to contend with about 4 does within spitting distance of me. He finally came out and gave me some great video. At 16 yards he was broadside with leg forward. He was mine if I wanted him. I've seen better. I waited.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00611.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	24732350

Name:	DSC00610.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	24732351

Name:	DSC00609.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	24732352

Name:	DSC00605.JPG
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	24732353

Name:	DSC00603.JPG
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	24732354

Name:	DSC00595.JPG
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	24732355

I learned a lot this first week on the ranch. My middle brother and I are heading back this week for 4 days. I saw a big bowed monster at 40 yards that was coming out of velvet...stuff was hanging everywhere. Horns were plaster of paris white. After I hunted Monday morning, I went to the area and built another cedar blind. Rascal comes in and the axis quest will be over.

There's a ton of pigs. I set out about 6 cameras Sunday midday. Pulled the cards from 2 Monday morning. 180ish total pics and 170 were hogs. I'm going to carry some spare arrows. If I find my cards, I'll post pics. Big hogs, little hogs, fat hogs, skinny hogs. White hogs, spotted hogs, black hogs, brown hogs. Boar hogs, sore hogs, sow hogs, "cow" hogs.

Good Luck TD. Heard you will miss the 4th trip this year.

Comment

good luck on your quest for "The One"..... I'm after an axis as well where I hunt but he has yet to show himself while I was hunting

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
        I got on a place between Laredo and Dallas
        I think you would do better between El Paso and Dallas

Good luck! Cant wait to see some LDP's.
        Last edited by Solocam; 06-03-2008, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Not certain, Jason. Jen is having a party for Logan on the 4th. If I go, it'll be that night. It's the last weekend of my axis quest, so if I haven't killed on by then, I can hunt our lease and visit midday and stay with Clint and hunt Monday and Tuesday with him. I also need to get to my San Angelo lease and feed the critters. So, it's up in the air, but it's so great I hate to miss the fellowship. Besides, I might need a hub changed or something.

Comment

That hoss has a mean look on his face. Go get one!!!!!!!!!

Comment

LOL. Between El Paso and Dallas is a bit north.

Comment

Not certain, Jason. Jen is having a party for Logan on the 4th. If I go, it'll be that night. It's the last weekend of my axis quest, so if I haven't killed on by then, I can hunt our lease and visit midday and stay with Clint and hunt Monday and Tuesday with him. I also need to get to my San Angelo lease and feed the critters. So, it's up in the air, but it's so great I hate to miss the fellowship. Besides, I might need a hub changed or something.
                LOL. Hope you can make it at least for one night. I am bringing some REAL steaks this time.

Comment

Dang, what were they last year? If those weren't "real", then I don't know if I can take the "real". LOL Tell Joey and Clint to open the critter gate and let them out when I get there.

Comment

You have excellent restraint! I would've put an arrow in that one! Good Luck on the quest!

Comment

good luck on your "quest" you sure picked a dandy!

Comment

wow i need one of those with my bow
                        hope you get a big'un

Comment

Dang, what were they last year? If those weren't "real", then I don't know if I can take the "real". LOL Tell Joey and Clint to open the critter gate and let them out when I get there.
                          You had a preview at Bownanza.

Comment

Good luck to you TD. Hope you get a big un!

Comment

Good luck in your Quest for the BIG ONE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X