Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you un-stick an adjustable wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you un-stick an adjustable wrench?

Two of my adjustable wrenches are stuck, and I can't for the life of me get them to work. One will open about 1/4" and WILL..... NOT..... open any further. I've tried turning the knob with pliers, soaking it in gasoline, PB Blaster, WD40, everything. No luck. There's a little screw in the bottom of the wrench that turns in and out, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

One of them is a big wrench about 16" long I use with the top link on the tractor. It's pretty expensive. It sticks at about 1/2" and then locks solid.

Is there a trick to this, or are these wrenches just scrap metal?

Sounds like you might have to scrap them. Have you tried to move the jaw on it as you adjust.

Comment

It depends! Usually a good soaking like you've already tried does the trick. There could be a burr somewhere along the path of the sliding jaw. The screw you found should be able to be unscrewed to take the jaw and roller out for cleaning. Which you've tried also, so this was my long-winded way of saying you've tried everything I know to do and at that point I toss and replace. One other thing you could try is run the jaw out to where it hangs up then tap on the jaw while trying the roller to see if you can work it past, I've had limited success with this.

Comment

Quality tools usually have warranties, get them replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
          Two of my adjustable wrenches are stuck, and I can't for the life of me get them to work. One will open about 1/4" and WILL..... NOT..... open any further. I've tried turning the knob with pliers, soaking it in gasoline, PB Blaster, WD40, everything. No luck. There's a little screw in the bottom of the wrench that turns in and out, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

One of them is a big wrench about 16" long I use with the top link on the tractor. It's pretty expensive. It sticks at about 1/2" and then locks solid.

Is there a trick to this, or are these wrenches just scrap metal?
          Before you scrap them, soak in vinegar for 3 or 4 days and retry. Then clean with soapy water to neutralize the vinegar. And retry the wrenches.

Comment

If Liquid Wrench won't get them loose there's something bad wrong with them.

LWD

Comment

Soak them in diesel for 3 or 4 days and then try to adjust. If they don't work then hammer on a piece of pipe or other steel and try again. Diesel soak does it most of the time.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

What brand? You might warranty them. I would soak them in a degreaser like simple green or one of the many orange brands for a couple of days then dry it out with air, apply kroil and try them.

Comment

tap the jaws with a hammer..lightly after a good 2 or 3 day soak...

Comment

Remove the small screw, completely. The thumb wheel should fall out. Then remove the sliding jaw.

Comment

I've had the slide rust shut before myself. Mine had had a hole in the top portion for the lower jaw teeth to protrude out of when closed up small. I chucked mine up in the vise and used a hammer and a drift punch to get the lower jaw moving after I had soaked it.

Comment

hammer

Comment

Clamp a vice grip on it ( thumb screw ) so when it moves it will turn when it brakes loose. Works every time. Might have to reposition a couple times.

Comment

I swear that small screw won't come out. It comes out so far, then it's rock-solid.

I'll try soaking it in diesel, then the vise-grips.

Comment

Working...
                              X