Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX
Default Fall Food Plot Maintenance

What kind of maintenance should we be doing on our fall food plots? Cattle are grazing on them now. Should we try to disk and drag them in a couple of months prior to planting to make sure the soil is Prepped so that it will just take a light disking, broadcasting seed/fertilizer and dragging in late September? Just wanted to see what you guys do to keep your fall food plots ready and if there's any way to improve your success rates? I appreciate the help.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

You can disc them a couple times in the late summer to get rid of weeds, etc., or you can burn down with gly about two weeks before you plant, or, if conditions are right, you can disc some fire lanes and burn it off. Your choice.

The best way to improve your plots is to make sure your soil is the proper ph and you use the correct amount and type of fertilizer. Only a soil test will tell you that. I like to turn my plots under when the deer quit using them, but I plant both spring and fall.

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 04-19-2017 at 06:55 PM..
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
texashunter56
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond

I would disc as soon as the cattle quit grazing them to have the weed free and keeping the rainfall in the ground until late summer. Then lightly disc to prepare for fall plantings.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
gonehuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano

I would plant something else in the plot, I planted milo in my plots a few weeks back. Puts a lot of good organic matter back in the plot when I mow it and disk it in before fall planting, plus the doves like it.
gonehuntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #5
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

I would love to plant some milo to help improve organiz matter but wouldn't the cattle keep it grazed down low? We have a 4.5 acre field and a 1.5acre field. I just don't think they would grow well since the cattle could graze it.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #6
texashunter56
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
I would love to plant some milo to help improve organiz matter but wouldn't the cattle keep it grazed down low? We have a 4.5 acre field and a 1.5acre field. I just don't think they would grow well since the cattle could graze it.
Put up an electric fence.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top