Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
catslayer
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default Is this a good deal on an air rifle

The good old powerline 880 bit the dust. Looking for a new air rifle.

Found this http://www.cabelas.com/product/GAMO-...L/2420467.uts?

Says 279 normally now less than 200. Anybody shot it? Or have good siggestion for sub $300 air gun

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
talleywack97
Ten Point
 
talleywack97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: arlington
Hunt In: Piney Woods
Default

Gamo's stuff aint too bad
talleywack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: San Saba County, Jones County and Missouri
Default

I have a little older, fixed stock model. I like it really well. Took a while to figure out what pellets it likes best but now I can smack a squirrel at 35 yards no problem. Rats and grackles don't have a chance.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
mchildress
Ten Point
 
mchildress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sealy,Tx
Hunt In: Polk
Default

My son has one and likes it. We ran it and my Diana 34 through the chrono last weekend with the same pellets and the Gamo was averaged 30fps faster. The Diana is more accurate but he has no problems on birds and squirrels.
mchildress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
catslayer
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default

Also looking at Benjamin Trail NP2 Air Rifle... has wood stock...
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
IkemanTX
Six Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

The Benjamin trail NP is a better gun between the two. I was looking at an NP in .50 a while back but decided my 22 was working just find for the time being.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: San Saba County, Jones County and Missouri
Default

Benjamin usee to be superior air rifles. Still very good. The scope and mount on the Gamo isn't the best but mine gets knocked over in the corner and bounced around on the cart at the lease/ranch. I used Loctite on all the screws and even on the rail grips and haven't had any movement issues.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
hoytassassin
Eight Point
 
hoytassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: college station
Hunt In: everywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by catslayer View Post
Also looking at Benjamin Trail NP2 Air Rifle... has wood stock...
Go with the NP2 in .22 cal.... it's a beast and a tac driver. I also own a Gamo bull whisper in .177 cal and its powerful but not nearly as accurate and as quite as the NP2.
hoytassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
catslayer
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytassassin View Post
Go with the NP2 in .22 cal.... it's a beast and a tac driver. I also own a Gamo bull whisper in .177 cal and its powerful but not nearly as accurate and as quite as the NP2.
Leaning this way for sure...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
hoytassassin
Eight Point
 
hoytassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: college station
Hunt In: everywhere
Default

Also if you go to PryamidAir.com Benjamin has a new rifle that just came out. Supposedly it's an even quieter version of the NP2
hoytassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #11
snipermedic
Ten Point
 
snipermedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Palacios,Wharton,Brazoria
Hunt In: Arkansas
Default

CCI quiet they sound about the same. Heavier bullet with about the same speed.
snipermedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 07:13 AM   #12
Hunterlo70
Four Point
 
Hunterlo70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW area
Default

Benjamin is the nicer air rifle. I have a Benjamin Titan NP in .22 and my brother has a Gamo, also in .22 caliber. His air rifle is not quite as powerful anymore for whatever reason. The pellet out of the Gamo won't even penetrate a plastic water bottle anymore. Not sure why but the Benjamin is still like new after years of operation. I would just upgrade the sights.
Hunterlo70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #13
DRT
Pope & Young
 
DRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Hunt In: San Saba County, Jones County and Missouri
Default

I would check with Gamo. They stand behind their products.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #14
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Benjamine Trail NP2 here in .22. Hard to beat for the price. Academy carries them for around $210, Mine came with a 3-9x32 mildot that is not the best. But it's ok for what it dose.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #15
hoytassassin
Eight Point
 
hoytassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: college station
Hunt In: everywhere
Default

Hey Cat just an update on the NP2. I was curious as to the power of my gun as I have yet to shoot anything with it so I pulled out the big metal trash can I keep in the garage to see what a pellet would do to it. I figured it would go through but wasn't sure about much after that so I stuck some magazines behind the first side. The pellet blew threw the can and threw 3 magazines. The entry hole was massive for a .22 as I could almost put my pinky through it. No doubt this gun will blow through squirrels and I'm 100% positive a pig won't stand a chance either. Also I'm shooting nickel size groups at 30 yards with the Benjamin discovery pellets.
hoytassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2017, 10:42 PM   #16
Shinesintx
Ten Point
 
Shinesintx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North of Dallas
Hunt In: South Franklin County
Default

The first time I shot my Gamo Silent Cat, it sounded like a 22
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #17
White Falcon
Pope & Young
 
White Falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Holly Lake Ranch
Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!
Default

I have a Benjamin, .22, smooth bore. Wish They had rifled barrels like the old .22, Crosman.
White Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #18
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

I have an older one and replaced the scope with a cheap Simmons 3x9.
Dead squirrels at 40 yds one shot. Mine likes the gold pellets Gamo Precision Ballistic Alloy Raptor .177
It will shoot less than a dime size group at 25 yds
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytassassin View Post
Hey Cat just an update on the NP2. I was curious as to the power of my gun as I have yet to shoot anything with it so I pulled out the big metal trash can I keep in the garage to see what a pellet would do to it. I figured it would go through but wasn't sure about much after that so I stuck some magazines behind the first side. The pellet blew threw the can and threw 3 magazines. The entry hole was massive for a .22 as I could almost put my pinky through it. No doubt this gun will blow through squirrels and I'm 100% positive a pig won't stand a chance either. Also I'm shooting nickel size groups at 30 yards with the Benjamin discovery pellets.
I had a similar experience with the Gamo Bone Collector Pellet Trap. 4th shot and I got a ricochet after a pass through.
I now use a couple of thick phone books for backstops when checking sights.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #20
IkemanTX
Six Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default

Anyone have any experience with the Benjamin Trail NP XL .25 cal? I know it won't run the same speed as the .177 or .22, but it sure does pack a heck of a punch when it gets there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #21
hoytassassin
Eight Point
 
hoytassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: college station
Hunt In: everywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Benjamin Trail NP XL .25 cal? I know it won't run the same speed as the .177 or .22, but it sure does pack a heck of a punch when it gets there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No sir but what i've read about it its a beast.... most complaints on the xl are in regards to the trigger. Benjamin redid their trigger on the np2 and i have zero complaints on it.
hoytassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #22
IkemanTX
Six Point
 
IkemanTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denton
Hunt In: Caddo
Default Is this a good deal on an air rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytassassin View Post
No sir but what i've read about it its a beast.... most complaints on the xl are in regards to the trigger. Benjamin redid their trigger on the np2 and i have zero complaints on it.


So a trigger job and it should be golden... nice. I was considering the NP XL and a pellet casting mold as a SHTF/survival option. Lead is pretty easy to find, easy to mold, and the pistons tend to last at least a couple decades on these guns. A heavy grain .25 even stays subsonic in the NP XL, reducing the noise profile while maintaining killing power. Seems like a pretty good backup to a standard .22 rifle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IkemanTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #23
hoytassassin
Eight Point
 
hoytassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: college station
Hunt In: everywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
So a trigger job and it should be golden... nice. I was considering the NP XL and a pellet casting mold as a SHTF/survival option. Lead is pretty easy to find, easy to mold, and the pistons tend to last at least a couple decades on these guns. A heavy grain .25 even stays subsonic in the NP XL, reducing the noise profile while maintaining killing power. Seems like a pretty good backup to a standard .22 rifle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes sir
hoytassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com