Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 05-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #51
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

All in all though, I got a good seedbed. Just disced it lightly Friday, (three different plots), and planted 200 lb. of iron clay peas, fertilized, and dragged all the plots today. The old man was tired !
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #52
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

That clover plot is looking good too, if I do say so myself. I love Whitetail Institute clover. It's about the only buck-on-the-bag seed I buy anymore. Just hard to beat !
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #53
barnag
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Looks good!
Can you give me a run down on the clover?
I'm trying for the first time this fall.
Plan on planing mid September, central texas.

Does it need to be planted yearly? Or just mowed down each spring?
Any advice is appreciated!
barnag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #54
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnag View Post
Looks good!
Can you give me a run down on the clover?
I'm trying for the first time this fall.
Plan on planing mid September, central texas.

Does it need to be planted yearly? Or just mowed down each spring?
Any advice is appreciated!
First, if you haven't done a soil test, do so. If your ph is not in the 6/7 range, you are not utilizing the nutrients in your fertilizer and you're wasting time and money to produce an inferior crop in most cases. Some plot seeds will do ok without the proper ph, but they will do much better if the ph is in the neutral range, 6.5-7.5. Your test will determine how much lime to add. I use Whitetail Institute for that because it's easy and tailored to deer farmers, not cattle ranchers.
Mid-September is fine for planting clover. It needs to be planted in the fall. It won't impress you though until next spring. That clover plot above literally burned up last summer in the heat, but it keeps reseeding itself. Clover likes heavy soils, sandy soils that rainfall kinda " goes through " are not good for clover. Soils that will hold some moisture do best. Be sure and prepare a good, weed and grass free seedbed, because clover seed are very small, don't compete well with grass and weeds that are already growing. Kill all your grass and weeds with glyphosate at two to three ounces per gallon of water, ( depending on how thick or tall the weeds are ), wait about 8/10 days, disc all the dead stuff under, and drag/level/smooth your seedbed as best you can. Broadcast the clover on top immediately before a rain ,roll it in, or LIGHTLY drag it with something that doesn't bury it too deep. I have had excellent results with the tire drag pictured above. So cheap to build, I have one on every place I plant.

I left out an important point, hence the edit. You are gonna bring up all kinds of seeds when you disc grass and weeds under, but most of that will not be a problem until next spring. Then, you'll have grass and weeds in your clover plot. Use Clethodim to kill grass. Be patient, it works slow. Use Butyrac 200 to kill weeds, or just mow your clover about eight inches off the ground, clipping the blooms off as well as the weed tops. Clover " makes " its own nitrogen, so when you fertilize it use a low nitrogen fertilizer. Nitrogen promotes grass growth, so no need to add to your problem. Lots of good info on QDMA website and Whitetail Institute will answer any questions you have about their products.

Good luck to you !

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-06-2017 at 06:33 PM..
Old 05-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #55
barnag
Four Point

Thank you for the great info.
The soil has been tested and its ph is right at 8.0.
Will clover do okay in that range?
barnag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #56
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnag View Post
Thank you for the great info.
The soil has been tested and its ph is right at 8.0.
Will clover do okay in that range?
To be honest, I've never seen soil that tested on the alkaline side of neutral. So I don't know the answer to that. I'll do a little research and find out. I do know that you can bring the ph down by adding organic material such as compost, pine needles, etc. but it's a gradual process. Whitetail Institute could answer that question.

A little googling tells me that Berseem, Red, White, and Ball clovers will tolerate ph up to 7.5/8. Not familiar with Ball, but the other three are frequently used in food plots.

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-06-2017 at 07:33 PM..
Old 05-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #57
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Great thread Don! I know next to nothing about food plots but sure have been wanting a small one on my back hill where I do my hunting/deer watching. Very sandy loam soil. I guess I'll figure out how to do the soil sample and then go from there. What is the minimal equipment you think I'd need for a small plot (less than 1 acre)?

All I have at the time is a 34 hp kubota, front loader, brush hog, and a box blade with rippers/scarifiers.

This is the area I'd like to plant. Some pines, big oaks, and a pretty good mix of sun and shade.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...&postcount=472
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #58
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Bobby, I see that your Kubota has front wheel assist, so it will easily pull a 5' disc in that Centerville soil. That soil is quite like what I farm in Trinity Co. That's all the extra equipment you will have to have, but a seeder would be nice to have also. You could get by with a pull behind and pull it with your four wheeler. However, you can seed with a hand seeder and fertilize with a five gallon bucket if you have to. You could buy a used disc and that's what I did when I started planting food plots years ago. When I progressed into more and more of it, I needed a heavy disc so I could get it done better and faster.

As for the soil test, go to Whitetail Institute and order a kit ($15 or so), follow the directions, send it to them, and they will email your results in a few days. Tell them what you want to plant and they will tailor fertilizer recommendations to your crop. If you want a fall plot, I find it hard to beat wheat, forage oats, or rye grain with a few Austrian Winter peas mixed in. Cheap and easy ! Wheat and winter peas are my standbys.

Just noticed your fruit trees are two years old. How are they doing ? I have some 3/4 years old and they just took off this year. I need to pull the tubes off and build some cages to keep the bucks and porkers from destroying them as soon as I plant one more place.

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-07-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Old 05-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #59
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Here you go Bobby, found you a disc ! You'll have to pick it up in ND though
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #60
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

On a slightly smaller scale, here's one that will fit the bill.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #61
Chew
Pope & Young

Thanks Don. That Blue one won't make it to the back of my property without a bulldozer to clear the way!

So do I need to spray the gly$^%^%$&$& stuff to kill everything before I disk and plant? Any differences in what you would plant there for a spring plot vs. a fall plot?

So after I seed, drag it with something?

Thanks for the info.

Do you run trail cams around your plots? Do you find that they enter and exit in the same places?
Old 05-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #62
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I would spray with the glyphosate from TSC, cheaper and does the job. Two to three oz. per gallon of water.

I would plant wheat for the fall with a small amount of Austrian Winter peas. About 1/4 peas to 3/4 wheat. I plant either soybeans or iron clay peas in the spring, but if all you have is a small area, the deer can eat them up before they get started. Where you are, I would expect that. From what I've observed working in that area, y'all have a higher deer density than I do here.

You can make a drag like I pictured above for a few dollars worth of chain, some old tires and 30 minutes worth of sweat. It does a good job in sandy soils

I do run trail cams. During the non-rut, deer tend to enter and exit in a pattern and in the same places, but during the rut all bets are off. Think about this; after you have a successful food plot for a few years, "your" deer have never known anything except that food plot. It's just part of the landscape to them, and a place they have eaten all their lives.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #63
Chew
Pope & Young

Good stuff. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #64
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Had to take my backhoe today and clean up a little behind the timber cutters on my lease in Rusk Co. This is one of my iron clay pea plots, planted April 25th. Need some more rain !
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #65
Radar
Eight Point

Drycreek have you ever planted strips of corn along your cowpeas? I have considered this several times but afraid the hogs will find the ears and destroy the fields
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #66
txtradesman
Ten Point

looks good!
txtradesman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #67
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Drycreek have you ever planted strips of corn along your cowpeas? I have considered this several times but afraid the hogs will find the ears and destroy the fields
I tried to. They didn't wait for the ears, they ate the corn out of the ground the very first night. Went right down the rows ! Kinda funny now, but it wasn't then. It was all hand planted.

I don't have any luck keeping the hogs off any kind of grain. Before I started discing the wheat under before it matured, they were in that as soon as the heads ripened. I try not to do anything that attracts them. My next step is to get rid of all the feeders on my place except the one across the road from my cabin. It has a driveway alert on it and when it dings, they get a little helping of 6.8 SPC by way of ATN night vision !
Old 05-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #68
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Looking good Drycreek! I need some rain bad.

Radar, I haven't planted corn with cowpeas, but I did have a garden last year and the hogs decimated my corn when the ears got almost ready.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #69
Radar
Eight Point

I planted a mix this year with sorghum in it. I already regret it being in the fields. The hogs dont know what it is yet, but I figure when it tops out they will. I hear hogs love sorghum.
Next year when I fertilize I will use the premix with herbicide in the fertilize. Over the past few years I started using Gly on most of my fields and have seen the hog rooting slow down. I think the Gly is killing off certain plants the hogs are after. But I do think planting corn would be an attractant for hogs.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:42 AM   #70
Ironman
Pope & Young

I had sorghum in a dove plot last year and the hogs didn't mess with it. I don't have a hog problem either, but they did get my corn.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #71
Radar
Eight Point

I got hog problems, they is a sounder that passes thru once week and does a little rootin and moves on. I guess that is the best I can hope for in Wilson county. I really slowed their activity by fencing in feeders and planting plots with stuff the hogs don't care about. Night vision on my AR helps too.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #72
Ironman
Pope & Young

Ugh! Only got a trace of rain. Didn't even register on the weather station.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #73
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Went to my place today to spray behia grass. Checked on my pea plots. Already up about 1.5 ". The hogs even tried to eat them ! A little rooting in one plot, not too bad. I've been told that once the peas/beans/corn sprout, hogs will leave them alone. They've never bother 'em before at this place. I need rain too !
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #74
Radar
Eight Point

Thats what my fall plot looked like in one field, they even ate the T posts.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:34 PM   #75
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thats what my fall plot looked like in one field, they even ate the T posts.
Man, keep them Wilson Co. hogs away from East Texas !
Old 05-12-2017, 05:55 AM   #76
Radar
Eight Point

Hahaha , I really do despise hogs and the damage they do. Every year I try to figure out what to rotate my food plots with that does not create another attractant. Last year I had one field that looked like the surface of the moon.

My closest neighbor called me Monday and said the hogs found his pivot and rooted up around it so bad he had to get a back hoe to fill in the wallers.

I do want to ask you this, I found a real good deal on a nice JD 6100 planter for 800.00. How tight can I make my rows for peas and sunflowers? I seem to have the best luck in my soil with a mix of Peredovik sunflowers and CI peas. Do you think I could mix the seed in the hoppers and it would flow properly?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #77
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Went to my place today to spray behia grass. Checked on my pea plots. Already up about 1.5 ". The hogs even tried to eat them ! A little rooting in one plot, not too bad. I've been told that once the peas/beans/corn sprout, hogs will leave them alone. They've never bother 'em before at this place. I need rain too !
Corn is negative.

I planted several rows in my plots last year, corn sprouted and was up about 10" when hogs came in and got all of it. You could see where they walked down rows, very little rooting.

Have not had a problem with them messing with anything else I have planted
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #78
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hahaha , I really do despise hogs and the damage they do. Every year I try to figure out what to rotate my food plots with that does not create another attractant. Last year I had one field that looked like the surface of the moon.

My closest neighbor called me Monday and said the hogs found his pivot and rooted up around it so bad he had to get a back hoe to fill in the wallers.

I do want to ask you this, I found a real good deal on a nice JD 6100 planter for 800.00. How tight can I make my rows for peas and sunflowers? I seem to have the best luck in my soil with a mix of Peredovik sunflowers and CI peas. Do you think I could mix the seed in the hoppers and it would flow properly?
I know you keep a feeder behind your house to shoot the hogs, but I would get rid of it. Once the feeders were gone here, so were the hogs for the most part.

Last edited by Ironman; 05-12-2017 at 09:36 AM..
Old 05-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #79
wba123
Spike

nice
wba123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #80
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I know you keep a feeder behind your house to shoot the hogs, but I would get rid of it. Once the feeders were gone here, so were the hogs for the most part.
That's what I'm thinking too. I have four feeders on a 217 acre property and I'm about to get rid of them all but that one. It's at the front of the place and very few hogs use it. Might take it out too eventually.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:42 PM   #81
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:

I've never used a planter, so I can't answer that. I do want a drill in the worst way though. It would make my food plotting so much easier. Suckers are expensive though !
Old 05-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #82
Radar
Eight Point

A few pics of two of my plots. The deer are eating the sunflowers down to the stalk. Along the edge of the field.
Attachment 854023
Attachment 854024
Right now sunflowers and Red Rippers are waste high.Attachment 854025
Hammering the sorghum.
Attachment 854026
Big stuff

Last edited by Radar; 07-20-2017 at 04:06 PM..
Old 05-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #83
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Those peas look good ! They obviously got a jump on the deer.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #84
Radar
Eight Point

Yes sir, I could use some rain. Weather liar says Wednesday . I have looked at the grain drills but my goodness they are high dollar. So much seed is wasted on broadcasting.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #85
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes sir, I could use some rain. Weather liar says Wednesday . I have looked at the grain drills but my goodness they are high dollar. So much seed is wasted on broadcasting.
Yeah, but you can buy a lot of seed for $11,000.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #86
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Yeah, but you can buy a lot of seed for $11,000.
Very true ! Main reason for me is to get by with way less discing. Mow, burn it with gly, then drill. May be harder than it sounds, but that's what I read and see on Dr. Grant Woods' videos.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #87
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Well, just got back from Brushy Creek pea plot planting ! Got the two plots lightly disced, planted, fertilized, and dragged. Almost three acres in about four hours ! This is the two acre plot......
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #88
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

This is the plot where I actually hunt, about 3/4 of an acre.......
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #89
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

And these are the bastages that would like to root up said plots the old man has worked hard to maintain. My buddy killed these with NV on a 6.8 from about 10 pm until 1am at a stand fairly close through the woods. I was guarding my peas with the same setup at the location pictured above. No takers at my locale, which was just fine with me ! We did it again last night, no hogs at either place. Again, fine by me, especially my peas !

Edit: Not much sleep this weekend, just had a little venison summer sausage and a Redd's Strawberry Ale to celebrate all my plots in, gonna take a little nap now boys. I'll update this thread if and when rain and time gets these plots up and feeding deer ! Thanks for following !

( I love this stuff )
Attached Images

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-14-2017 at 12:58 PM..
Old 05-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #90
BTLowry
Pope & Young

My peas and sunflowers were planted 2 weeks ago
Coming in good
Old 05-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #91
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
My peas and sunflowers were planted 2 weeks ago
Coming in good
BT, let's hope we get some rain soon, these peas need to pop pretty quick for them to make it !
Old 05-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #92
Radar
Eight Point

Purdy good start on the peas in only two weeks, hope they out run the deer till they get knee high.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #93
Radar
Eight Point

I shredded a new plot last week end, maybe a 1/3 acre. Its virgin ground and has never seen an implement. I have got to knock out two prickly pear patches and trim up a big mesquite to get my tractor underneath it. It takes a month to eliminate prickly pears as the herbicide takes time. I use Remedy Ultra with a mix of 3 quarts diesel and 1 quart Remedy. Best ratio I found to completely kill cactus.
I will take some pics next weekend of the new plot. Soil samples are on the way to A&M.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #94
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
BT, let's hope we get some rain soon, these peas need to pop pretty quick for them to make it !
It came a flood here the day after I planted

Figured all of mine would come up in a glob at the end of the patch

Hope yours get the rain you need
Old 05-15-2017, 01:32 PM   #95
Ironman
Pope & Young

I....need....RAIN! The last two systems have blown up east of me.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #96
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Visited my Mt. Enterprise property today to see if the storms blew anything away ! All good around the house, so I looked at a couple pea plots. These peas were planted 5-7-17.
Attached Images

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 05-15-2017 at 04:09 PM..
Old 05-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #97
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Got a little rain !
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #98
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Aannnnddd, put out four mineral blocks on our lease at Good Springs. Checked on those peas too, planted 25th of April I think......
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #99
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Closeup......
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #100
Chew
Pope & Young