Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #101
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I ran 1.5 miles in 15:03. And thought I was gonna die. I almost stopped to get a drink out of a mudhole. I've got a little work to do with my running game.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #102
parkchief100
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Colorado

Back shoulders and traps. Pretty good workout early this am. Need to start some cardio and eat a little cleaner! Tomorrow. Lol.
parkchief100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #103
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.
Default Lmbo....

Quote:
I ran 1.5 miles in 15:03. And thought I was gonna die. I almost stopped to get a drink out of a mudhole. I've got a little work to do with my running game.
I run from the couch to the refrigerator. And back. But I hear ya! I need to get back into cardio as well, but this 10X10 workout I've been doing gets my heart rate up there for a good 45 minutes. I've had two knee surgeries and running on the street kills them. Running on the treadmill is like being a hamster in a wheel.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #104
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Back, Triceps and calves today with a little cardio before and after. Off day tomorrow to play golf and then back at it Friday. My golf game has gone to crap since I started back to the gym on a regular basis back in November. I looked back at all my scores and the last time I shot in the 70s was November 3rd. The exact week I started lifting again, lol.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 PM   #105
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Didn't get to workout but come off a night shift and went and chased axis in a trap for about 45 mins so got my cardio in today lol
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #106
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

Lunch break workout was another practice ride today. It was mainly cadence practice on little to no sleep. Overall 5 miles in interval. No good.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #107
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.
Default Had to cut it short this morning...

for a friends of scouting breakfast here in Kerrville at 7 AM. Hit the gym about 515 AM, got warmed up and then it was 5X5 chest and hammies and abs. Flat bench press, incline dumbbell press, incline dumbbell flies, prone leg curls, cable crunches and then had to boogie. I'll be back on the 10X10 tomorrow. Deadlift, clean and press, pushups, pullups, weighted hip thrusters and then abs.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #108
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Shoulders and abs today. Gonna modify the workout schedule for a couple weeks.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #109
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
for a friends of scouting breakfast here in Kerrville at 7 AM. Hit the gym about 515 AM, got warmed up and then it was 5X5 chest and hammies and abs. Flat bench press, incline dumbbell press, incline dumbbell flies, prone leg curls, cable crunches and then had to boogie. I'll be back on the 10X10 tomorrow. Deadlift, clean and press, pushups, pullups, weighted hip thrusters and then abs.
Ive seen quite a few people doing these the past few months. What exactly is that exercise strengthening?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #110
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default rtp...

weighted hip thrusters are a glute exercise.

This mornings 10X10 kicked my butt. I increased the weight of my deadlift and my clean and press. Those are the first two exercises and the increase had me sucking wind big time. I should have gone with weighted pullups, but didn't. Gonna get some much needed rest over the weekend. I hope!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #111
Muskles
Ten Point

Kenpo X cardio today. I forgot how much I like the P90X warm-up and stretches!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:12 AM   #112
150class
Pope & Young

Well.... had a 8am session scheduled with a personal trainer and he never showed.

Did a quick bi's and back workout and left
Old 02-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #113
SabreKiller
Ten Point

That sucks! I hope you hadn't paid for the session yet!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #114
Muskles
Ten Point

Some friends of mine had that happen to them. They paid in advance and never saw the guy again. Hope you have better luck.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #115
rtp
Pope & Young

Weighed in today, 19.1% body fat and down to 9.0 lbs of fat needing to be lost. My weight remained unchanged but down 1.1 lb of fat from a week ago. Those are my best numbers so far. I know those arent great numbers but at least the needle moved again in the right direction and at 53 Im happy but not content with them. Changed up the diet and exercise this week and it seemed to have paid off. Gotta keep the body guessing I suppose.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #116
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Back and biceps done. Weight fell a lot this week, so I've backed off cardio to slow down for now. Tuesday was at 181.4
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #117
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default Wellllll...

I haven't checked the scales in a while. Last time I looked I was back up to 225 from my post gall bladder removal of 209. I used to train people and had to tell them to quit looking at the scale. They were trying to lose weight. I'm trying to put it on, but cut my BF down to 12%. Not sure, but I'm prolly close to the same as you rtp in BF. Goal is 235 and 12-15% BF. I'm 57 and 5 days a week of getting up at 4:30 AM wears me down by Friday. The gym I go to charges $60 for BF check. Guess I'm gonna have to fork it over.

Ya'll have a good weekend!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #118
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Got 3 runs in last week, all 1.5 miles. Rest day today but I'll bump it up to 2 miles this week.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #119
rtp
Pope & Young

Chest and biceps yesterday. I skipped my cardio other than my warmup. Shoulders and traps today.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #120
150class
Pope & Young

Full Bi's and back today before work. 4:30AM came earlyyyyy.....

Re scheduled with the trainer for thursday to do a full body workout to see where I am on all accounts (it wont be pretty lol). Said he came down with Strep last week and was out. He actually texted me on Thursday and I had mistaken it for a TBH'er I was suppose to buy some steps from last weekend since I had never had a text convo with the number before. So I butchered that whole situation on multiple accounts.

Legs tomorrow

Also have been having pain on the outside portion on my left foot for 2 months now that spikes up after any cardio activity or a full day of wearing boots. My fiance's dog took my legs out from under me and my foot bent a way it should not have. I was hoping to avoid going to the doctor but the pain is concentrated in a very specific area and looks like I should quit procrastinating and figure out if something is really wrong since its been lingering so long now.

Last edited by 150class; 02-27-2017 at 08:21 AM..
Old 02-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #121
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default Back to 10X10 today...

and today is my favorite WOD of the 5 in the series. Kettle bell swings, pushups, goblet squats, bicep curl, dumbbell kickbacks. All done as a circuit. I hit my stride at round 3 and it lasted until round 8. I was sucking wind in rounds 9 and 10. I use very little rest between rounds, keeping my heart rate up and the sweat pouring! I changed it up a little for this morning. First 5 sets of triceps were kickbacks, the last 5 were 5 tricep pushdowns immediately followed by pronated grip tricep pushdowns. The GF has a Fitbit and it showed she burned 994 calories this AM.

I told her she needs to put in more effort.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #122
Muskles
Ten Point

X stretch Saturday, off Sunday. Today was chest and triceps. Elbow seems to be getting stronger, instead of worse like I was anticipating.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #123
parkchief100
Ten Point

Chest and triceps on Friday. I went light weight and high reps. Changed it up a little. Got in a back and shoulders workout this am. I'm getting there. On my 6th week back but I still have not started back to my cardio jumping rope. Once I start that the weight will start to fall off!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #124
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Back and legs today. Bent over rows, pullups, low rows, weighted intermediate grip pullups, leg press, leg extensions, walking weighted lunges. All heavy weight, near max and 5X5. Abs too. Tomorrow back to 10X10
Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #125
rtp
Pope & Young

Off day today but did play golf. Finally got back in the 70s. YeeHaw! Going to workout the next two days and then play golf again of Friday. Leaving Saturday morning for Pebble Beach. Going to play Spanish Bay, Spy Glass and Pebble.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #126
Muskles
Ten Point

Missed out today. Had to pick up oldest son unexpectedly and trying to find a gas leak. Just have to push it back a day and miss out on a weekend off day.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #127
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default 10x10...

kicked my booty today. Dumbbell bench press, bent over dumbbell rows, dumbbell squats, plank, and hip thrusters on a ball. But that wasn't enough for me. Threw in incline situps, leg raises and cable rotations as well. The worst part about it is I lost count! I think I actually did 11 rounds.

Tomorrow is heavy 5X5 shoulders, hammies, calves and abs.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #128
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Pretty cool thread! I finally got off my rear this year and have started getting back into shape. Have dropped about 20lbs since the beginning of the year. Have about 30 more to go. I've done this all before, so I a have been mixing it up in order to not plateau or sacrifice too much muscle as I go. Cut calories, add low cardio to get going the first month... transition into weights and cardio intervals in the second month. Instead of just jumping into P90X (I have done it before) I am just hitting the gym and doing full body lifting 2-3x a week in order to get the "newbie gains" out of the way and increase strength so I can get through the more intense stuff that is to come. Goal is to be near ideal weight by June and transitioned into non-deficit nutrition and some sort of maintainable cardio & strength program. I just need to find that "program." That activity that I can do that doesn't eat a lot of time, and doesn't apply a great deal of fluctuations on my food intake. (I used to race bikes, I got down to 5% body fat, I had incredible cardio capacity... but when you stop, it can be hard to not put weight back on.)
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #129
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Welcome back! Git u sum!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #130
rtp
Pope & Young

Back, triceps and calves today. Shoulder is still flaring up. Im hoping the 8-9 days off for vacation give enough time to totally heal.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #131
Muskles
Ten Point

Leg day!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #132
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Arms!!! ....... DTP style. This will be my last arm day before my south Texas hunt, and upon return I will go into super cutting mode.

Today was 10 sets supersetted:

Alternating dumbbell curl / barbell skull crushers
Reps:50,40,30,20,10,10,20,30,40,50-all to fail using rest pause method
That's 300 reps of each!........ my arms hurt
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #133
Muskles
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Arms!!! ....... DTP style. This will be my last arm day before my south Texas hunt, and upon return I will go into super cutting mode.

Reading that makes my arms hurt!
Old 03-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #134
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default That's what I'm talking about!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post

I haven't done that in awhile! You know its been a good arm day when you can't lift your arms! I may have to go back to that tomorrow.

Today was shoulders and hammies. Heavy 5X5 for deadlifts, prone leg curls, calf raises, alternating dumbbell should presses, lateral raises, rear delt cable pulls, prone barbell front raises. Incline situps, hanging leg raises.

Back to a 10X10 tomorrow and will probably be back in the gym on Saturday. I'm leaving Monday for Terlingua/Big Bend/deer lease for a week. Hiking and filling feeders will be my active recovery for the week.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #135
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

Skipped yesterday..First rest in 2 weeks.So I'm doublin' it today!lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #136
rtp
Pope & Young

DONE! I hate leg day lol. Weighed in today and the numbers got a little better. Fat was down 1/2 lb and my weight was down a bit also. BF% fell slightly to 18.9%. 8.5 Lbs of fat to go. Off from the gym for the next week and a half so hopefully I dont do too much damage along the way. But if so, Im not going to sweat it. Got to enjoy this thing call life along the way. Im going to try to hit that little white ball far and straight but if not, the 19th hole will still be there.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #137
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Still just pretty much running for me. Upped it by 1/2 a mile this week from 1.5 to 2 miles. Baby steps lol. I'll get 2 more runs in this week then up it to 2.5 miles next week.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #138
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default rtp...

How are you getting your BF checked? The hand held meter or with calipers. I've used both and the hand held electronic gizmo has always been consistently higher than calipers.

I guess I'm gonna have to fork over the money to get measured.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #139
Muskles
Ten Point

Back and biceps today. Slowly increasing weight since elbow and tendonitis are still at bay. Groin/hip flexors are tender, think I pushed legs too much yesterday.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #140
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
How are you getting your BF checked? The hand held meter or with calipers. I've used both and the hand held electronic gizmo has always been consistently higher than calipers.

I guess I'm gonna have to fork over the money to get measured.
My gym has a scale that you stand on. It has two metal pads that contact the heal and front area of each foot. Then you have to hold these two arms out away from your body. It has a metal pad for each thumb pad to make contact with. It then sends a series of electrical impulses through your body and then calculates all of your numbers. It give Lean Mass, Total fat, suggested fat to lose, hydration etc. It also does all of this for each limb and your trunK. After it does all of that, it prints a nice little report with all the info on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper. That makes it nice to keep on file to go back and review later on. They told me the machine costs about $8000. We are allowed to use it as much as we want so I weigh in every Thursday morning to see where Im at.

Now, Im not sure how accurate it is or isnt. I just hope it is consistant so I know which direction Im headed.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #141
Muskles
Ten Point

Been a crazy week and my workout plan has been all messed up! Ended up doing shoulders this morning. Got plenty of cardio digging up a plumbing issue though. Hopefully the week to come will be back to normal. Unexpected issues are not good for my OCD!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #142
parkchief100
Ten Point

Legs and biceps this am. Got really deep with some squats and boy I am feeling it now. I need to start my cardio! Someone push me and get me started.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #143
Muskles
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkchief100 View Post
Legs and biceps this am. Got really deep with some squats and boy I am feeling it now. I need to start my cardio! Someone push me and get me started.
What are you wanting to do for cardio? I like the P90X kenpo workout. You can probably buy just that DVD on eBay.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #144
Muskles
Ten Point

Chest and triceps today. Last week of babying my elbow.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #145
parkchief100
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
What are you wanting to do for cardio? I like the P90X kenpo workout. You can probably buy just that DVD on eBay.
I hate cardio with a passion but I am pushing 48 yoa and I am adding that weight to the mid section. I just have not found the motivation to get back on my jump rope. When I start jumping rope I drop the extra fat and shred the core. I work my way up to 1500 jumps a day. I just have not found that motivation yet.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #146
Muskles
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkchief100 View Post
I hate cardio with a passion but I am pushing 48 yoa and I am adding that weight to the mid section. I just have not found the motivation to get back on my jump rope. When I start jumping rope I drop the extra fat and shred the core. I work my way up to 1500 jumps a day. I just have not found that motivation yet.
I don't like jumping rope, running, or most cardio workouts. The kenpo is a great alternative. It's a lot of punching and kicking. An hour is over before you know it.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #147
parkchief100
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
I don't like jumping rope, running, or most cardio workouts. The kenpo is a great alternative. It's a lot of punching and kicking. An hour is over before you know it.
Thanks! I will have to look at that.

Chest and triceps early this am. Decent pump but didn't go heavy. Pressed for time but got her done.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #148
Muskles
Ten Point

Leg day today...... Everyone loves leg day!
Old 03-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #149
Muskles
Ten Point

Back and bis today. Where is everyone?
Old 03-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #150
Muskles
Ten Point

Shoulders and abs. Next week starts the bulk up part of the program.