Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
parkchief100
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Colorado
Default New Year Workout Accountability 2017

Well we are starting this thread a little late, but better late than never! If you are tired of being tired, out of shape, out of energy, unmotivated or your in the best shape of your life this thread is for you. We will utilize this thread to motivate one another, discuss all levels of fitness, get info on supplements, be a cheerleader or be an asset and a free trainer for someone. I am by no means an expert but I am a guy who has power lifted and worked out off and on for 32 years and I have some knowledge. My oldest son is fixing to be a certified trainer and he can add a lot of insight as well. Psdryan has been on the boat for a long time and I'm sure he will be one of our biggest sources of knowledge and inspiration. So if your ready to make a change in 2017 this is the place to log workouts, get advise and information and most importantly- connect and be held accountable! God Luck and God Bless!

I'll start, I am working legs and biceps as I type this am. Started taking a pre workout on Monday and it has made a huge difference! I am motivated and have energy again! Bam
parkchief100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
PSD Ryan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I can

I'm in again. I've dropped the heavy lifting lately to focus more on functional fitness. Lately I've been using the madbarz app, which is a bunch of prescribed (and free) bodyweight workouts. As a long time heavy lifter, I've always looked down on bodyweight stuff, but I've been seeing improvement in my overall fitness from it.
PSD Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
texanhoyt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland,Stephens, Knox counties

Put my story on here a while back I have dumped over 160 pounds in last couple years by working out and eating right. My main workout is running 5-6 days a week with some cross training (mainly body weight) in between.
Ill knock out a 6 mile run during lunch today.
texanhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
parkchief100
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhoyt View Post
Put my story on here a while back I have dumped over 160 pounds in last couple years by working out and eating right. My main workout is running 5-6 days a week with some cross training (mainly body weight) in between.
Ill knock out a 6 mile run during lunch today.
Man that is awesome! You sir will be an inspiration to many on here including myself. Great job!!!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.
Default I'm still in...

I never really quit, just haven't posted on here in awhile. I had my gall bladder removed in late November so that set me back a month and a half. I lost 9 pounds due to that surgery, which on my frame (6'3/225) before surgery, made me feel like an Ethiopian. Then work gets in the way. I'm back at it hard this week. The goal is 230 and 12% BF.

Name:  lift-things-up-and-put-them-down-o-s.gif
Views: 1474
Size:  75.2 KB
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #6
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

I'm in, again, too. I dropped off last year because the last portion of my year got hectic. Excuse, I know, but new baby, injury, move to a new house, injury, holidays, sick (in that order, no joke). But, I have a new garage gym setup, I train almost every day on my lunch break, and I'm planning to run a few different races this year. We'll see how it goes.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I was hoping this thread would pop up. The 2016 thread kinda died away. I haven't slacked a bit though. Leg day today!!
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
ShawnG
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Lets have some fun with this. I am a fitness instructor in Abilene. Taught for 13 years. I've ran 14 half Marathons and 2 full half marathons. I lift 5 days a week. About to try cross fit on a regular basis for the first time. Interested to see how that goes.
ShawnG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2017, 01:15 AM   #9
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
I was hoping this thread would pop up. The 2016 thread kinda died away. I haven't slacked a bit though. Leg day today!!
I searched for it the other day too.
I'll hit everything in a few hours.Hope to get in some heavy bag work as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
parkchief100
Ten Point

I got me a little walk in early this am. Dropped my son off at the high school and went to leave and the truck died. I was out of gas but the gauge showed 1/4 of a tank. It has done this before but it's been several years ago. The walk was not bad because there is a gas station right by the school. The problem was I had on slip ones with no socks and it was like 30 degrees.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #11
Hart8
Pope & Young

Lol! I did arms in the small gym..Squats,and shoulders in th big gym..Heavy bag work was minimal..I was gassed.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #12
parkchief100
Ten Point

I've been doing a little reading on supplements for my 15 year old and it looks like we could all use a little vitamin D3. Carry on!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #13
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Chest and shoulders for me today, tomorrow will be a rest day. In another month or so I'll switch to almost all cardio work for the summer then hit the wrights again in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #14
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Legs this evening & cardio

Superset:

Leg press 3 sets of 85
Barbell squat 3 sets of 20

Leg extensions- 3 sets of 20 with partials to failure at the end.

25min cardio. Probably do treadmill
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #15
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: I used to hunt in Culberson County, but now I hunt in Val Verde County.
Default Saturday was a good day....

I did some things that I didn't get to do during the week.

Shoulders
Seated Arnold press 4X10
Lateral raises 4X10

Chest
Incline bench press 4X8
Seated wide grip press 4X8
Incline dumbbell fly 4X8

Back
Intermediate grip low row 4X10
Seated lat pull down (plate load) 4X8
Bent over row 4X8
Weighted narrow grip pullups To failure

Decline situps 4X10
Incline leg raises 2X10
Hanging leg raises 4X8

I had to stop with the shoulders. I'm having issues with my left arm. Can't figure out if I have an impingement in there or what. Really affects my bench as well. When lifting the bar off during bench press, my left arm nearly collapses. It just quits on me for a second.

Today

Legs
Weighted box squats 4X10
Leg extensions 4X10
Leg press with sled 4X10

Back
Lat pull down machine -plate load 4X10
Bent over row 4X10
Weighted narrow grip pullups to failure 3X8

Incline situps 3 X10
Hanging leg raises 4X8 (very slow on the eccentric)
Crunches 4X10

Tomorrow is chest and hamstring day with calves. YAY!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #16
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Lunch break workout was my first time on a road bike.

Freshly assembled and reasonably fit to my frame. I went down to the park near my work and road for a while, checked out gears and the feel of the bike; probably got about 3 miles in, maybe. The loop I mapped out will get me 10+ on a lunch break if I'm able to do it. That'll get put in the rotation a few times per week.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #17
parkchief100
Ten Point

Nailed a chest and triceps workout this am. Worked abs in as well. Starting back slowly but did 275 for 3 on bench. Will go up to 295 on Thursday and into the 300's next week. Build it back a little at a time. I am loving this Nitraflex preworkout!
Old 01-31-2017, 08:40 AM   #18
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default Good day today...

shoulders and hammy's. Deadlifts, leg curls, some leg press, and calf raises. Lateral raises, shoulder press on the plate loaded machine, rear delt cable pulls. Always hitting the abs...decline situps, leg raises, cable rotations, and finish it off with hanging leg raises.

I like the Nitraflex as well. A guy at the gym is supposed to give me the name of an NO2 product that has no caffeine. I'm gonna add that in to my preworkout.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:53 PM   #19
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Lunch Break Outdoor Workout:

100m walking lunge

3 Rounds -
2x KB Windmill (each)
4x KB Rack-Squat (each)
6x KB Snatch (each)

100m walking lunge

3 Rounds -
5x KB Swing (each)
5x KB Snatch (each)
5x KB Clean (each)
5x KB Squat (each)
5x KB Press (each)
5x KB Halo - both ways.

It was a beast considering my little hellion...er..darling daughter..is teething and I was on wakeup duty all night.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #20
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Yesterday was a rest day, back and arms today with a little ab work for good measure. Light cardio tomorrow. Eating a little cleaner too, my eating habits always fall off through deer season.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #21
CRM_95
Pope & Young

But just noticed today makes 760 days that I haven't missed tracking calories and macros. I missed a week when I was on a trip with no cell service right before this or it'd be close to 1k!!

Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #22
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Well, today turned into a rest day. I woke up @0130 and could not go back to sleep until nearly 0500. Today WAS going to be cardio and ab blasting. Guess I'll do that Saturday. Chest, abs and biceps tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #23
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

Wednesday Lunch:

Today was supposed to be a shooting day. I wanted to put about 3 dozen arrows in at lunch at 20 yards. Need to get 'in shape' for the TTH challenge in April at CCR. Unfortunately, I checked last night and all my arrows are broad-headed up and I didn't have time to change them over. So, instead, today became a bro-sesh day. I figured if I can't shoot I may as well work the shoulder girdle.

100m lunge warm up

4x12 standing chin-row
3x8 lateral KB raise
3x10 T-bar front raise
3x12x12 KB front raise-to-forward press
2xMax bent front T-bar raise

Now I'm back at my desk.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #24
parkchief100
Ten Point

Got in a back and shoulder workout early this am. Pretty good workout but I need to make myself start deadlifting again. I hate it and have not in years. Well at least not seriously or heavy with any consistency. Once a year with light weight doesn't count!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #25
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Ive been steady at it since mid Oct both regarding diet and working out. I havent dropped a lb overall but have shaved off 9 lbs of fat, and added 9lbs of lean muscle according to the $8000 scale at the gym. Today was my off day for the week so I played golf. Tomorrow is chest and biceps. Looks like a lot of the same folks still at it.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-01-2017, 08:52 PM   #26
Hart8
Pope & Young

Had an all day gym affair yesterday...kickin' it old school tonight with the rusty ****..Sit-ups in a few...Keep after 'em fella's

Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #27
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Had some "changes" come up.....

Several weeks ago we looked into life insurance. Well they told me a lady would come to the house and "finish up " ( I'm redneck as they get, I have no clue about any of this process). So lady changes dates and times 5 times that week and finally says 2pm... ok
I tell my wife I'm going to the gym at 11... I take all my pre workout stuff and head to the gym. Proceed to kick my own @ss (anyone that has followed my workout in the past knows it's "till you can't do anymore ). Start my post workout cardio and take my post workout shake. Wife text... she said she will be there in 15. So I wrap up 5 min early and head home.

Had to pee... so I did and lady shows up with "test kit". I told her of everything:
1. I just finished working out
2. I'm still itching from pre workout
3. I ate 20 min ago
4. I already peed

"You sure this test will be ok?"...... "oh yea, no problem"

Bp- perfect
Everything perfect.... except enzymes (now wife thinks I have live damage... heck I might)

After 5 day of bro science and reading studies, working out within 48hrs of this test is an absolute no no since the enzyme they are measuring is released by damaged muscles

Levels weren't "scary high" but enough I was declined the premium rate so I'm testing again with my dr Tuesday. Been off all supplements since Monday and will stay off till test is done at least and will stop lifting Thursday to test Tuesday. Levels remain high for 7 days after but I believe if that was the issue I'm close enough 4.5 days and 8+ hrs fasted and hydrated SHOULD correct it. I'll report back, good or bad news.

Today was shoulders
Old 02-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #28
parkchief100
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Had some "changes" come up.....

Several weeks ago we looked into life insurance. Well they told me a lady would come to the house and "finish up " ( I'm redneck as they get, I have no clue about any of this process). So lady changes dates and times 5 times that week and finally says 2pm... ok
I tell my wife I'm going to the gym at 11... I take all my pre workout stuff and head to the gym. Proceed to kick my own @ss (anyone that has followed my workout in the past knows it's "till you can't do anymore ). Start my post workout cardio and take my post workout shake. Wife text... she said she will be there in 15. So I wrap up 5 min early and head home.

Had to pee... so I did and lady shows up with "test kit". I told her of everything:
1. I just finished working out
2. I'm still itching from pre workout
3. I ate 20 min ago
4. I already peed

"You sure this test will be ok?"...... "oh yea, no problem"

Bp- perfect
Everything perfect.... except enzymes (now wife thinks I have live damage... heck I might)

After 5 day of bro science and reading studies, working out within 48hrs of this test is an absolute no no since the enzyme they are measuring is released by damaged muscles

Levels weren't "scary high" but enough I was declined the premium rate so I'm testing again with my dr Tuesday. Been off all supplements since Monday and will stay off till test is done at least and will stop lifting Thursday to test Tuesday. Levels remain high for 7 days after but I believe if that was the issue I'm close enough 4.5 days and 8+ hrs fasted and hydrated SHOULD correct it. I'll report back, good or bad news.

Today was shoulders

Dang! Good Luck

Got in a chest and triceps workout at the hotel early this am. Had to improvise a little bit but I got in a good one non the less. I will start my cardio jump rope routine I. The next couple of weeks. I'm feeling good!
Old 02-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #29
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Back and biceps done with 25 min cardio... time to "rest" till Tuesday
Old 02-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #30
rtp
Pope & Young

Chest and Biceps and Calves today. 2 hr total workout including warmup and cool down. Today was also weigh in day for me. Total weight was up .2 lbs, 186.9, from last week but body fat was down over 2 lbs and lean muscle mass was up over 2 lbs as well. My body fat is 19.2% which is the lowest it has been since I was a lean mean fighting machine in my 20s. Previous attempts have always had me plateauing at the 20% level. My goal for now is 14%. I have finally found the magic formula that works for me regarding weight lifting, cardio and diet. My body weight has remained basically the same since the beginning of Nov but Im down 11 lbs on my body fat. Not a bad 3 months. Onward!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #31
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Chest, biceps and abs today. Incline bench, wide grip plate loaded bench, incline dumbbell flies, seated incline dumbbell curls, long bar curls, preacher curls, standing cable isolation curls, leg raises, sit ups , cable rotations. It was a good day.

Low Fence. I was unaware of any issues like yours for life insurance. Heck, I signed up for a life insurance policy nearly five years ago. I took my preworkout and did my creatine afterwards and still passed the testing. What enzyme were they looking for?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:46 PM   #32
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Ast
Alt
Old 02-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #33
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

Did chest and tris this morning. Hit another PR on bench this morning. Will hit shoulders, arms, and back tomorrow am.

Ordered some new Nike Romaleo lifting shoes and hope they help my squat and cleans.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2017, 06:22 AM   #34
parkchief100
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Chest and Biceps and Calves today. 2 hr total workout including warmup and cool down. Today was also weigh in day for me. Total weight was up .2 lbs, 186.9, from last week but body fat was down over 2 lbs and lean muscle mass was up over 2 lbs as well. My body fat is 19.2% which is the lowest it has been since I was a lean mean fighting machine in my 20s. Previous attempts have always had me plateauing at the 20% level. My goal for now is 14%. I have finally found the magic formula that works for me regarding weight lifting, cardio and diet. My body weight has remained basically the same since the beginning of Nov but Im down 11 lbs on my body fat. Not a bad 3 months. Onward!
Man that is awesome! Glad you found your combination. When I want to work cardio and shred I get on my jump rope. A lot of people can't do it because of bad knees etc... There is a reason it has stood the test of time! UFC fighters, boxers, trainers and numerous others use this to shred and harden the core. Good Luck you got this!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #35
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkchief100 View Post
Man that is awesome! Glad you found your combination. When I want to work cardio and shred I get on my jump rope. A lot of people can't do it because of bad knees etc... There is a reason it has stood the test of time! UFC fighters, boxers, trainers and numerous others use this to shred and harden the core. Good Luck you got this!
I'm more impressed by 15 consecutive jump ropes than a 400 lbs bench press! When I was a kid I could go forever..... now all I do is beat the $&&%out of my shins. I get more Casio throwing them and going and picking them back up. Lol
Old 02-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #36
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Leg day today, and another quick abs workout. I HATE leg day.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #37
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
Leg day today, and another quick abs workout. I HATE leg day.

Same here. That's why I do them on Mondays. Get them out of the way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2017, 04:53 PM   #38
rtp
Pope & Young

Shoulders, Traps and Abs today. Total workout time, 1hr40.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #39
Hart8
Pope & Young

Chest,abs,and heavy legs tonight.
I think I'm gonna take sunday off.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #40
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Chest and abs today, rest day tomorrow. I'm trying to get motivated right now, still half asleep.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #41
rtp
Pope & Young

Legs and core done today. Off day tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #42
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

6.4 miles on the bike in 30 minutes today. Needs to be a LOT faster. I road like I was working out, and the wind really ate my lunch today.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #43
parkchief100
Ten Point

Back and shoulders today. A little slow today as I pulled something in my lower back changing out the wax ring on the downstairs toilet. Still got in a good workout but no lower back work today. Put the heat on my seat all day and it feels a lot better. I bet it's a good thing that I drove a bunch today!
Old 02-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #44
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Just cardio for me today. Tomorrow is back and shoulders and I'm sure I'll work abs while I'm at it. Then headed out Thursday for a little hunting trip so I'll be out until the first part of next week.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #45
LiftAndShoot
Eight Point

I had no business working out today. I wasn't even prepared (I gear up my truck every night for a lunch break workout) this morning. I've been up since about 0230 with my daughter and work is making me want to club a baby seal.

But, I threw the bike in the truck and don't regret it. I got an 8 mile ride in practicing my shifting coming off hills. Goal today was to get above yesterday's top speed, and I did. Can't be unhappy about that.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #46
rtp
Pope & Young

Chest and biceps today along with a little cardio. My right shoulder is acting up so I wasnt able to push things today. Im hoping it is just aggravated and nothing else. I know all of the rotator cuff tests and mine are very strong so I know it isnt that. I think something got pinched last week during this same workout. Ive got a couple of prescription creams I can put on it several times a day. Im going to give it a week or two to see if it will calm down. This shoulder was repaired in 2004. It did this a couple years afterward and my Dr. hit it with a cortisone shot and it has been money ever since.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #47
parkchief100
Ten Point

Got in a chest and triceps workout this am. A little pressed for time as I fell back asleep by accident after hitting the alarm. I didn't get to go heavy but what I got done felt good.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #48
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Had blood work done this morning, after 5 days off lifting and 7 off supplements. Had to be fasted and that was for blood work at 9:00..... well finally at 11:30 they get me finished so 15 hrs fasted...... which had me in a state that I put gas in my diesel that I've been driving since 04'...... been a day to say the least

Chest and triceps done this evening with 20 cardio. Felt good to blow off some steam
Old 02-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #49
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Default I missed Monday...

due to my stomach not agreeing with me. All the crap I ate at the Super Bowl party was churning!

Tuesday was a kick butt day though. I've been wanting to find something different for me and the GF to do rather than just plain lift. I found a 10X10 full body workout on FB that came from Men's Fitness and the humanfitproject. 10 sets of 10 reps done in a circuit. Front squat, renegade row, clean and press, pushups, pullups. It was a good workout. Kept it kinda light since I was gonna due 10 sets of each. It felt good to sweat that much again. I haven't sweat like that since having my gall bladder removed.

Today was shoulders and quads with some back. I just wasn't in sync today. Usually its a push/pull but felt the need to hit my delts, quads, and back again. Made a change in grip position for pull ups and it felt great. Incline situps, hanging leg raises, crunches too.

Tomorrow is back to the 10X10. Hang clean, pull ups, goblet squat, dip, dip/leg raise combo.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #50
rtp
Pope & Young

Shoulders and Traps today with cardio. My shoulder is really acting up so I scheduled an appt with the Dr. who did the surgery back in 04. Earliest I could get in is next Thurs. We have a common friend so Im working it to try and get in sooner. Im going to try and get done what I can between now and then within reason. It really sucks to have to back off. Ive had 3 shoulder surgeries so Im probably being overly concerned, but it sucks to have one done, especially at the age Im at now.