Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #51
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
The only response I have received is a receipt acknowledgment from the VA so you are making better progress than I am. Good luck Dave!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
When did you submit your claim?
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #52
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rusk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
So 9 months AFTER I submit a claim to the V.A. I finally get a response.

We are now researching your claim.

Really? It took 9 months just to start looking at my claim?
That is normal....takes 1 to 1.5 years for a claim to be fully processed. You usually get backpaid from the time you submitted the paper work. I was pre-screened and told I would be at 15%, but have never done anything about it. been out for 5 years now.
AZST_bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #53
Merc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool

Whatever you do, don't miss the appointment, and don't listen to them if they tell you that you can reschedule.

Everything on mine was denied because I couldn't make the appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmitch003 View Post
they took 16 months on mine and when they send your a letter that you have an appointment for evaluation, don't miss it
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #54
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Leon Co, and with God every time I go out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
When did you submit your claim?
I would be lying. Need to check the paperwork

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2017, 11:17 PM   #55
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

A friend of mine took 11 years to get his disability. It was awarded 2 months after he died from complications of Agent Orange.
The only good thing about this was that his family did get one large check because they paid back to the date he first applied.

Good luck.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 05:19 AM   #56
Iehooligan11b
Ten Point

I guess I've been really lucky. Original rating was approved within several months. And thanks to John-Paul's advice on here I got with my DAV office and they helped me file the rest of my paperwork that I was waiting on from the Army. I got a new rating within about three months. Having your paperwork in order and having documentation from all injuries really helps speed up the process from what I'm told. They said a lot of guys go in claiming all kinds of stuff but with no documentation it will severely drag out the process.

Good luck hopefully everything gets straightened out.
Iehooligan11b is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #57
Radar
Eight Point

I actually got a letter a few years ago from the VA, they had sent it to my home address where I enlisted. I read over it quickly and basically they wanted me to visit them for health reasons. Never did inquire about it.
I spent 6 weeks in sick bay with infection dripping out of my leg and some of the worst pain ever. You know the sense of smell sure can remind you of things.

I get along just fine without the VA.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #58
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

It took a congressman getting involved after Desert Storm to get them to enter the experimental nerve agent pills and other crap into my unit's medical records. I believe those things contributed to the crazy person I am today.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #59
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
I guess I've been really lucky. Original rating was approved within several months. And thanks to John-Paul's advice on here I got with my DAV office and they helped me file the rest of my paperwork that I was waiting on from the Army. I got a new rating within about three months. Having your paperwork in order and having documentation from all injuries really helps speed up the process from what I'm told. They said a lot of guys go in claiming all kinds of stuff but with no documentation it will severely drag out the process.

Good luck hopefully everything gets straightened out.

I went to the DAV to get them to help me out. I'm sure glad I did. The V.A. asked for the same info a couple of times over and the DAV were on top of it. I requested all of my medical records from when I was in but got a letter staying that the V.A. has all of them. So I submitted all of my medical records from the past 6 years which came out to be a small book.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #60
Radar
Eight Point

I had a hole in my leg that was 3/8 or so in diameter. The doc said no problem we can handle it. It got infected because it was not cleaned out. The corpsman put a wick in the hole to absorb the infection. The wick was 12 inches long or so and they stuffed inside my leg, then they would lay a hot pad on top of the wick to pull out the infection. The hot pad weighed 5 pounds or so and was made from clay pads wrapped in canvas. The corpsman would put the pad in a steamer and heat it up.The pad was heavy and caused pain.
They would change out the wick everyday and it would smell and was covered in pus. I got a fever and would not remember things. One day they forgot about me and left the wick in my leg.The wick dried to my skin. They poured hot water on my leg to loosen up the wick and pulled it out. It made me cry, the only time in my adult life I cried from pain.
A few days later I left, still hurt. I don't want a **** thing from those bastages.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #61
91cavgt
Ten Point

Here is yet another update.

I called my local DAV office because I never got the letter that the VA sent me a couple of months ago. Well, come to find out the VA just sent me a new letter yesterday stating that my claim has been denied due to too little active duty service.

I told the DAV rep that I never got the last letter from the VA. So the DAV rep confirmed my address and it was wrong in their system. The change of address form that I filled out in their office a year ago had not gone into effect for some reason. So I updated the address, again.

I also requested the denial letter be sent to me as well as a copy of all of my medical records the VA has in my file. Once I get all of this info I plan on fighting the denial through my local congressman.

Come on Trump, do something about this!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #62
91cavgt
Ten Point

6 days later nothing had came in the mail. So in the morning I'm heading to DAV to get a hard copy of everything.