Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #1
91cavgt
Ten Point

Default Frustrated with the VA

So it appears since I was in the Army Reserves and never was active service, and since I was in for less than 2 years I am S.O.L.

During basic I hurt my left foot twice, which lead to my discharge. Fast forward 20 years and I have had 5 foot surgeries and a knee surgery from problems that are related from the injuries I sustained in basic.

So if I jump through a whole lot of hoops, and if the local V.A. agrees that my current problems are associated with the injuries sustained 20 years ago then I'll get a small check every month, but no medical help at all which is what I need.

Sorry guys, I am just very frustrated at all of this.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Jon-Paul
Administrator

I would suggest calling the DAV if you haven't yet. They might be able to assist you and offer some suggestions.
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-paul View Post
i would suggest calling the dav if you haven't yet. They might be able to assist you and offer some suggestions.

dav?
Old 07-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

https://www.dav.org/

They will be your advocate to the VA.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

This should make your blood boil....

It's Not Disney World--The VA Scandal Two Years Later
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
Two years ago, Americans were horrified to learn that as many as 1,000 of our nation’s veterans had died while waiting for medical care at Department of Veterans Affairs facilities. Any hopes of reforming the dysfunctional VA culture were dashed two days ago when Secretary Robert McDonald made an appalling comparison to waiting in line at Disney parks.
McDonald said, “When you go to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line? What’s important is, what’s your satisfaction with the experience.”
McDonald’s shockingly tone deaf and calloused statement has already prompted calls for his resignation. That couldn’t come soon enough.
Today, nearly half a million veterans still wait to see a VA doctor. According to USA Today, more than 480,000 veterans were waiting more than 30 days for an appointment.

This week, our organization at OpenTheBooks.com released the study, The VA Scandal Two Years Later. Our new VA salary/bonus data and analysis shows that while long wait times persisted, the VA added 39,454 new positions to their payroll between 2012-2015. Fewer than 1 in 11 of these new positions (3,591) were ‘Medical Officers,’ i.e. doctors. Sick veterans can’t get an appointment, because there just aren’t enough doctors.

During this period, $99.1 billion in salaries and bonuses flowed to 354,960 VA employees.
So who at the VA is receiving how much, for what type of work, and where are they located? We mapped the latest compensation data by employee and job title to local VA center ZIP codes across America. Search the salaries and bonuses at your local VA medical center here.
Here is what the latest VA employment and spending data shows:
• Last year, even after ‘reforms’ were instituted, we found that one of every two bonuses continued to flow to the same people who collected bonuses during the scandal. Read our Forbes column, The VA Scandal One Year Later (5/2015).
• The VA lawyered-up during the scandal – adding 175 more lawyers (2012-2015) - spending $454.4 million on ‘General Attorney’ salaries and bonuses. With 1,060 lawyers on staff, the VA now has more lawyers than all but the fourteen largest private law firms in the USA.
• In an attempt to improve its image, the VA has spent $99.4 million was spent on ‘Public Affairs’ (PR) salaries and bonuses since 2012. In 2015, the VA employed a PR corps of 304 officers – up from 262 officers in 2012.
• In 1996, the VA had zero police officers with arrest and firearm authorization. By 2008, the VA employed 3,175 officers and, by 2015, more than 3,700 VA personnel had arrest and firearm authority. Nearly $2 million was spent on riot helmets, defender shields, body armor, a “milo return fire cannon system,” armored mobile shields, Kevlar blankets, tactical gear and equipment for crowd control.
HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

Isn't basic training considered active duty?
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

Another thing. If the VA finds that the injury was service connected they might cover medical for that injury only. However, if I am not mistaken, you have to have been on active for 180 days or more to be qualified for veterans benefits. Don't know for sure.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
bluelund79
Pope & Young

Hunt In: KY, TX, WI

Do you have your medical records from BCT, as well as your training packet? I know it was some time ago. However, you can also contact the National Records Archive to get whatever paperwork is out there. WWW.ARCHIVES.GOV

Best of luck in your search. Did you ever receive counseling from cadre pertaining to sick call, etc? Paperwork like that, in leiu of medical records can also help substantiate your case. Keep at it. If you were discharged, for medical reasons, from BCT, that should cover the lack of ADT. I had some soldiers fail BCT for medical reasons, and as long as the discharge papers were for medical, said condition was covered. Unless they got discharge paperwork stating other reasons, which almost happened to a couple as well.
bluelund79 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

91cavgt--sent you a PM--hope it helps-
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
So it appears since I was in the Army Reserves and never was active service, and since I was in for less than 2 years I am S.O.L.

During basic I hurt my left foot twice, which lead to my discharge. Fast forward 20 years and I have had 5 foot surgeries and a knee surgery from problems that are related from the injuries I sustained in basic.

So if I jump through a whole lot of hoops, and if the local V.A. agrees that my current problems are associated with the injuries sustained 20 years ago then I'll get a small check every month, but no medical help at all which is what I need.

How did you hurt your foot if you don't mind my asking?
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #11
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
How did you hurt your foot if you don't mind my asking?
I don't know exactly. It probably had something to do with my size at the time (112 pounds soaking wet holding a brick) and carrying 75 pounds of gear on the road marches.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
dustinztx
Six Point

Hunt In: Buckhorn Mo

VA is tough, all I can say is keep trying. I did all my paperwork through the Texas Veteran Commission at the VA hospital in Austin. I like you have shot knees and ankles for being on jump status most of my career. Ended up with 3 injuries at 10% and 2 injuries at 0% with the note for further evaluation at later date.

Talk to the TVC and see if they can help. Make sure you have all your paperwork and medical records. I had all the docs and it still took over a year for VA to come back with an answer.
dustinztx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Hillary going to fix you up. Not
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paisano View Post
Another thing. If the VA finds that the injury was service connected they might cover medical for that injury only. However, if I am not mistaken, you have to have been on active for 180 days or more to be qualified for veterans benefits. Don't know for sure.
I think it's active duty for 180 days not counting Basic or AIT. I was in National Guard for 7 years. I did get the reduced GI Bill when I was in college and used the Texas Veterans Land Board once. Other than those I'm not considered a vet.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #15
91cavgt
Ten Point

Thank you to everyone that have suggestions and support. I appreciate it.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #16
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

Smdh!!
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #17
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

My Dad is 87, he was stationed in Japan for almost two years. Did his time and was discharged. He never ask anything from the VA. Not a loan, nothing. Worked his butt off his whole life and finally retired at 75. He suffers with neuropathy, very painful. Went to the VA to see if he could get help as the only thing that remotely helps him cost over 900.00 dollars a month. They said they could not find him in their records, turns out his records were in a fire along with many other servicemen years ago. It took a while but they finally acknowledged he was a Vet. Bottom line is they will not help with his Meds.
I guess if you work hard and serve your Country, pay taxes, you get the short end of the stick. But, if you don't work, the Government pays you!
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #18
91cavgt
Ten Point

I want to thank you guys that said I need to contact DAV. I now have an advocate and am in the process of gathering medical records now. Unbeknownst to me, the first doctor that operated on my foot put in his notes that I have a severe foot deformity. After reading this to my wife she asked me with a smirk on her face how I was able to join the Army with a severely deformed foot.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #19
giarcher
Four Point

I'm glad you found an advocate to assist. I'm working with my parents to do the same for them. The VA system is very difficult to navigate and too many give up because out of frustration.
giarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #20
Quanah11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Langtry, Mason, Llano, Alpine

Active duty time only begins once your training status ends, i.e. Boot camp, MOS school, special schools. Then before anytime counts you must be in more than 180 days. Reserve duty counts for 1/2 days of the day you actually drill. So if you drilled 2 days every month for a year then you have 24 days on duty and that equates into being on active duty for 12 days but under reserve orders. It's a strange deal but unless you were active duty and sustained injuries in a combat zone the VA is almost more of a headache than it worth. I broke my neck and femur in the Corps after a few years in, and they offered me 60% per month and I turned it down so that I could re-enlist. Besides that I had to be in a body cast for my femure for six months, I HAD TO LEARN HOW TO WALK AGAIN. I went to the Army back to the Infantry and have had two wounds, and I'm still in. It really ****** me off when someone who was a desk jockey or gets disability for back pain from sitting in a chair their whole career. I know of three 100% disabled people who run marathons and are perfectly fine. The excuse I always hear is "they did this to me so they should pay me". I think the government shouldn't pay them because their desk chair wasn't just right and they were just big ole wusses. AHH rant over
Quanah11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

I don't have a clue what is considered active duty now. When I was in almost 50 years ago your time started the day you took the oath. With 180 days in service you qualified for the GI benefits. NGs and Reservist served 6 months active duty including basic and AIT. We also made $72 a month as an E1.

Again, as others have said keep pushing if you feel you have a claim.
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #22
91cavgt
Ten Point

Well, i requested my dd214 in august through archieve.gov and I mailed off the signature page the next day. A couple of weeks ago, I got an email stating they never got my signature page and my request had been deleted. Well, maybe the 3rd time is a charm? The 3rd request was sent out on Friday and I faxed off the signature page this time instead of mailing it off.

So yesterday I went by the local V.A. office to talk to DAV. It is a good thing I did as the DAV rep told me the V.A. was requesting an update to a form I filled out in August!

So now I have to wait till my dd214 comes in. This will take a few months.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #23
Slickrick
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shackelford CO

I did not serve in the military, wish I had. This is a disgrace that our country gives so much to illegals and wont take care of our own who serve their country. Four more years of Dummycrats and we will be done. GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!
Slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #24
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

Please don't expect fair treatment at the hands of the VA. The machinations by them are simply incredible. Your best friends, and only allies will be the DAV and the Texas Veteran's Commission. Be patient and don't let them (the VA) frustrate you. I truly believe they want people to get frustrated and drop their claims - less work for them. They also act like you're trying to take money out of their pocket.

Good luck,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #25
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:

I know a guy who went AWOL from boot camp back in the 70's, he was discharged, he gets full benefits from the VA, damdest thing I ever heard.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #26
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

I was told by the va that my wife makes to much for me to qualify for va medical. At least I can draw SS. So I have no use for them.
I never needed medical during my 30 years as a cop but once my health went south I asked. Have no use for them or some of their reps.
I'm proud as hell for my service as a Jarhead

Last edited by wow; 10-25-2016 at 08:52 PM..
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #27
91cavgt
Ten Point

Here is another update.

I got a thick envelope in the mail today from the national archives. Great, now I can get my dd214 to DAV and get things going. So I open it up and to my shock it states that I never received a dd214 because I had less than 90 consecutive days of active duty for training. What? So I read the attached pages and they state I joined in November of 93 and my separation was finalized on August 3rd of 96.

I don't know what to say. I just don't know what to say.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #28
91cavgt
Ten Point

Here is something else that my wife just pointed out. On the page that states when I was discharged, at the bottom is says my name, and in front of my name it says PFC (private first class). So if I have less than 90 days active duty then how was I an E3 (PFC) when I was discharged?
Old 11-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #29
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Don't even get me started......
Cause, I wouldn't know where to begin....
Trump, promised to take care of Vets......We'll see.....
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #30
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
https://www.dav.org/

They will be your advocate to the VA.
Or you might also try

http://www.amvets.org
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #31
Jmh05
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green/Irion Co.

So did you graduate basic and AIT?
Jmh05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #32
Jmh05
Pope & Young

I'm assuming you did and made it back to your reserve unit and drilled for the remained of your time...?
Old 11-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #33
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmh05 View Post
So did you graduate basic and AIT?

I joined in November of 93 and immediately started going to drills. Went to basic the summer of 94 then came back and participated in drills till July of 95. When I was being shipped off to ait, I had to go through MEPS again and that is when I got diacharged.

This afternoon I talked to a friend of mine who works for a call center at the VA and she said it sounds like they could not find my dd214 and so they just sent this letter of non sense.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #34
91cavgt
Ten Point

Another update.

I went to my local V.A. today and chatted with a supervisor. She said it looked like the National Personnel Records Center did not have my DD214 because I was in the reserves instead of active duty. She gave me a phone number to call which is for the U.S. Army Human Resources.

So I called them and after nearly 20 minutes I was told that due to my time of service, I do not have a DD214. I need to go back to the National Personnel Records Center and request separation orders.

This is what is so messed up with our system. There are so many departments that handle a very small segment of our vets that no one knows for sure who has what info. Vets get sent on a wild goose chase to find just one single document from their time in service and they end up getting frustrated and just quit. I have lost track of the hours spent on the phone or at my local V.A. office trying to get just a couple of documents needed to file a claim. All of this has been going on now for over a year and I am still not any closer to getting what I need.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #35
91cavgt
Ten Point

and so now I go to the National Archives website to request my separation paperwork and it will only allow me to request my DD214, which I have already done. I was not given my separation paper work when I requested it last time so I am back at square one, the same place I was at over a year ago.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #36
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I didn't read all the responses...but I remember this from when you first started the thread.
Would getting in touch with state rep be something worth while in this?
Maybe the press (matt Patrick has helped facilitate these kind of interactions before) ?
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 02:25 PM   #37
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Leon Co, and with God every time I go out.

Quote:
and so now I go to the National Archives website to request my separation paperwork and it will only allow me to request my DD214, which I have already done. I was not given my separation paper work when I requested it last time so I am back at square one, the same place I was at over a year ago.
I have been trying to get mine for over 5 years and correct my DD214 but keep hitting a brick wall. I am more than disappointed. I have my DD214. Went online and requested ALL documents but only received another copy of my incorrect 214. I don't understand why it is so hard to get documents from the Gov!

Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 11-14-2016 at 02:28 PM..
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #38
blntrey3
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Val Verde County, Loma Alta

Dav
blntrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #39
41Chevy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Canada, Mexico (One time only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wow View Post
I was told by the va that my wife makes to much for me to qualify for va medical. At least I can draw SS. So I have no use for them.
I never needed medical during my 30 years as a cop but once my health went south I asked. Have no use for them or some of their reps.
I'm proud as hell for my service as a Jarhead
Just got a letter telling me the same thing. I don't have a service related disability so it doesn't matter to me. I still have Tricare. Just thought it was funny.
41Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #40
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blntrey3 View Post
Dav
I have been going through DAV but they told me that they need my dd214 or seperation papers that state why I got discharged. They told me that is one document that they can't get.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #41
topduarte
Pope & Young

The VA is the devil imo
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #42
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
I didn't read all the responses...but I remember this from when you first started the thread.
Would getting in touch with state rep be something worth while in this?
Maybe the press (matt Patrick has helped facilitate these kind of interactions before) ?
A disabled vet friend of mine recommended this to me today. That might be my next step.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #43
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

I'm in the same boat brother. It sucks. Goodluck

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #44
Jmh05
Pope & Young

It's crazy how the documentation sucks. We don't send split training soldiers back through meps. We send people through the Medical Readiness Clinics before going to schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #45
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmh05 View Post
It's crazy how the documentation sucks. We don't send split training soldiers back through meps. We send people through the Medical Readiness Clinics before going to schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, they sent me back through meps in houston. I guess they just used the doctor side of things there. Regardless, the doc there saw my record of the sick calls all for my left foot and sent me off to get checked out by a specialist. I went back to find out the results and the doc said, sorry, have a nice life, bye.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #46
Devin
Administrator

Hate to hear this nonsense.... especially for our vets.

Do contact your US House Rep, (Find Your Rep).

They should be a good advocate for you. My wife works for our State Senator and does similar things for their constituents daily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

&
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #47
91cavgt
Ten Point

So 9 months AFTER I submit a claim to the V.A. I finally get a response.

We are now researching your claim.

Really? It took 9 months just to start looking at my claim?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #48
pmitch003
Six Point

Hunt In: Flynn

Quote:
So 9 months AFTER I submit a claim to the V.A. I finally get a response.

We are now researching your claim.

Really? It took 9 months just to start looking at my claim?
they took 16 months on mine and when they send your a letter that you have an appointment for evaluation, don't miss it
pmitch003 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #49
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos Co, Leon Co, and with God every time I go out.

The only response I have received is a receipt acknowledgment from the VA so you are making better progress than I am. Good luck Dave!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Brazos Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #50
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

There is a Facebook page called,"The VA is Lying"It is largely a complaint/gripe page but there are at times some worthwhile info.It's at least worth a look.Also don't overlook some of the Veterans groups out there that are willing to help.VFW,DAV

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top