Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
jake-1024
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County
Default Issues broadhead tuning?

I have had a really difficult time getting my bow tuned for broadheads.

Just so you know the equipment, I am shooting a LEFT handed 2013 Elite hunter. 29" draw set around 62 pounds. Arrows are gold tip 340 spine arrows fletched with 3" vanes with nockturnals on the back end and a 20 grain weight behind the broadheads.

I have tried a few different heads including drt's, stingers, and slick trick mags. Broadheads are consistently hitting to the right of field tips by a good 7-8" and I have tried moving the rest in both directions to fix this.

My question is I feel like a need to basically start from scratch to fix this unless I am just missing something. I feel that my nock height and rest height are good, and center shot appears to be good also. Where would you guys start to try to figure this out?
jake-1024 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Ttechhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee County

Check to make sure your bow is in spec i.e.: axel to axel, brace height, draw weight and draw length. If your bow is in spec, set your arrow dead level, and run the center of your arrow through the Berger hole. Set your center shot at 3/4". when you draw your bow back, look to see how the strings are coming off your top and bottom cam. You could be torquing your bow if your grip is not on. 7-8" is a long way off (assuming 20 yds). Also, check to make sure your draw stops are hitting at the same time. I would just start over if I were you. Hope this helps.
Ttechhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2016, 02:01 AM   #3
cmh2007
Ten Point

I would be suspect of an under spine arrow depending on how long you have them cut. Take the extra weight or of them first and see where that gets you. If that doesn't fix it I would look into the bow tune. And make sure you aren't torquing the bow any at all during release. Video yourself
cmh2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
old killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico

Agree with removing weight. Insure broad heads and arrows spin true. Check paper tune from 15 feet; this is approximately the distance you arrow will be it's farthest out of line: and practice shooting through paper to insure you are getting consistency in your shot.
old killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #5
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

What vanes are you shooting? How much helical or offset?
muddyfuzzy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

I'll take a stab at this.

Your arrows look to be on the line for being underspined. As posted above take the extra tip weight off. Or go to a 300 spine

First put bow into spec. Check cam timing And sync cams this is two differnt things . Best way for an elite is a draw board. Look it up they have a video. It can be done with out. But it takes two.

Set center shot 13/16 to 7/8. Level knoc.

Now take one arrow. Stand three ft from target at shoulder height. Hang a string and shoot the string. Adjust sight only till hitting string. Back up to 20 yards. Shoot string with at least three arrows. Adjust till all hit string. With rest. Now set a string horzontal. Shoot the three arrows and adjust loop till a straight line. Your arrow should be level to slight knoc high. If way high or low at all you have another problem. Now recheck the vertical line.

Now shoot your broadheads.

Some info. If your moving your rest very much. 1/8 is to much. You may have a toque problem, a spine problem. And it would be underspined. No such thing as overspined. Or the cams need to be shimmed. Needing to get arrow I front of the power stoke. There is a few more things to look at.

Last edited by enewman; 01-31-2016 at 11:15 AM..
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
SAVIOUR68
Six Point

IMO first off is if you have a basic tune on the bow and the broadheads do not respond to any rest movement this would point me to hand torque or improper draw length or improper shoulder/arm alignment at full draw.
Left hand shooter with broadheads shooting to the right of field points points to stiff shafts not weak but depending upon there length.
Try a different bow grip and re-test.

Last edited by SAVIOUR68; 01-31-2016 at 01:15 PM..
SAVIOUR68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
enewman
Ten Point

Saviour68

That is why I don't look at paper tuning as weak/stiff. We know his arrows are not to stiff. If anything it's border line weak. We also know there is no such thing as a stiff arrow.

So if bow is in all specs. And moving the rest does not move anything. Then you are correct. Its the shooter.

Do as saviour68 stated. Play with grip/form
Old 01-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #9
jake-1024
Ten Point

I recently switched arrows from a 400 spine to the 340 bc I wanted to go with a heavier arrow. Arrow length carbon to carbon is 27.5" and nock to end of insert is 28". A complete arrow with tip weighs right at 500 grains. The only reason I don't think it has to do with form or grip is bc I had great broadhead flight with the 400 spine lighter arrows.

I will try it out with the weights out to make sure that isn't it, then if that doesn't work I will start over through paper. My ATA measurement is perfect right at 31.5". My brace height looks to be a tad short, but I'm not positive on where to take that measurement from since I have an aftermarket grip on the bow.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:18 PM   #10
cmh2007
Ten Point

Remember there is a range of setup on the elite
Old 01-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
jake-1024
Ten Point

Oh and the vanes are vanetec vmax 3" with a right helical.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
SAVIOUR68
Six Point

Well if you had good flight with the 400 spine with broadheads then this may be a arrow issue.
What is the insert weight and broadhead weight ?
Also are the nockturals the same nock on both shafts or are they new, if new check for to tight nock fitment of the serving

Last edited by SAVIOUR68; 01-31-2016 at 06:41 PM..
SAVIOUR68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #13
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

You have enough spine to tune, you are certainly not weak to the tune of a 7-8" lateral miss. You also have plenty of fletching , look elsewhere for your gremlins. Might need to just set back up from scratch, sounds like something simple.
muddyfuzzy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2016, 08:16 PM   #14
jake-1024
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVIOUR68 View Post
Well if you had good flight with the 400 spine with broadheads then this may be a arrow issue.
What is the insert weight and broadhead weight ?
Also are the nockturals the same nock on both shafts or are they new, if new check for to tight nock fitment of the serving
Total weight on the front end is 134 grains currently. 12 grains for the insert, 20 grain weight, and broadhead is 102 grains. The nockturnals are the same they have been and weigh about 22 grains. Nicks still snap in like they always have. Didn't get a chance to shoot today but will let y'all know when I do get a chance without the weights to see what that does. Could also do that plus crank down my draw weight some to see if that works.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
let-um-grow
Four Point

Hunt In: Louisiana & Texas

Start with timing and paper tune (since you have already verified level & center shot). Just had almost exact issues with my back up Elite. Had slight tuning issues and it ended up being mostly spine of arrow as I had just changed......so there is some wisdom in what the other guys have already alluded to. My specs are almost exact to yours on Draw length, weight, and arrow length. Changed from FMJ's 340 and now shooting 400's. I am now shooting 1.5" cut fixed blades out to 60 yards.
let-um-grow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #16
jake-1024
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by let-um-grow View Post
Start with timing and paper tune (since you have already verified level & center shot). Just had almost exact issues with my back up Elite. Had slight tuning issues and it ended up being mostly spine of arrow as I had just changed......so there is some wisdom in what the other guys have already alluded to. My specs are almost exact to yours on Draw length, weight, and arrow length. Changed from FMJ's 340 and now shooting 400's. I am now shooting 1.5" cut fixed blades out to 60 yards.
That makes sense. My thinking was I could go to a stiffer spine then add weights to the front to increase my foc. Kinda regretting that decision now since I haven't been able to get this setup to work.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #17
enewman
Ten Point

Ok let see if I got this straight. Nothing changed on bow. All you did is take a 400 spine that you said shot good and got some 340 spine.

If this is correct and nothing else has changed. Then either your form is a little off and the 400 spine flexed enough to hide the flaws. A stiffer arrow will tune great but it will not hide flaws as good. Most of the time you see this in real stiff arrows not just stiff.

If you drop from a stiff to a weaker arrow and it shoots better. You or bow was not tuned as good as you think.

Maybe something has changed on the bow.

It's something simple. You just got to find it.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #18
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake-1024 View Post
That makes sense. My thinking was I could go to a stiffer spine then add weights to the front to increase my foc. Kinda regretting that decision now since I haven't been able to get this setup to work.
Your on the right track. Increase Foc is a good thing.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #19
boweye
Six Point

Jake,

I think at 27.5" arrows you're on the edge of being stiff (62lbs). Can you increase the poundage?

I shoot 400s at 26.75" at 72lbs. They shoot even with field points to 70 yards.

If your 400s shot perfect... then you pretty much answered your own question. I would find heavier 400s.

Matt
boweye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #20
TEXAS 10PT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry/Fisher Counties

I think nobody has caught that you are shooting left handed. Too stiff and you will be opposite the reaction of a righty who is too stiff. Right too stiff is left so it makes sense you being too stiff will go right. If you are sure that your bow is tuned, center shot is correct and nock height is good and no fletching contact then I would add weight to the tip and see where that takes you.
TEXAS 10PT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #21
jake-1024
Ten Point

Think I might have found the issue which is cam lean. I placed an arrow in line with the cams and both top and bottom appear to be off.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #22
Deer716
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval, McMullen & Goliad

I had the same issue years ago only to find that my arrows were not trued out (spinning true). I took them back with broadheads and they recut and glued inserts with broadheads attached and put on the arrow square or whatever its called and problem solved. Now I just order mine over the phone from a shop in San Antonio with broadheads and tell them to make sure they are spinning right with the broadheads when they build them. Never had a problem since.
Deer716 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #23
Dave_
Four Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by enewman View Post
Ok let see if I got this straight. Nothing changed on bow. All you did is take a 400 spine that you said shot good and got some 340 spine.

If this is correct and nothing else has changed. Then either your form is a little off and the 400 spine flexed enough to hide the flaws. A stiffer arrow will tune great but it will not hide flaws as good. Most of the time you see this in real stiff arrows not just stiff.

If you drop from a stiff to a weaker arrow and it shoots better. You or bow was not tuned as good as you think.
I had this same problem. Figured out the DL I was shooting was too long. I had been shooting long since I started bow hunting, so it just felt natural and just sighted in with broad heads at the time anyways. Wasn't until I started shooting heavier arrow and fine tuning all my own gear before I figured it out.
Dave_ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #24
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ View Post
I had this same problem. Figured out the DL I was shooting was too long. I had been shooting long since I started bow hunting, so it just felt natural and just sighted in with broad heads at the time anyways. Wasn't until I started shooting heavier arrow and fine tuning all my own gear before I figured it out.
That's funny. I'm a 26.5 draw. In the 1990's I was hunting speed. I tought myself to shoot 29 inches. And I killed a lot of deer.

Now for some reason. If your draw is not perfect. We can't hit the side of the barn.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #25
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba County, Jones County and Missouri

I used to shoot high wrist to cover for a dl that was too long. And killed a few deer that way. But I'm much more comfortable and consistent at my true dl.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #26
TEXAS 10PT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Scurry/Fisher Counties

Quote:
Think I might have found the issue which is cam lean. I placed an arrow in line with the cams and both top and bottom appear to be off.
Bro I have been shooting Elite's for 10 years. All binary cams have some lean. I've never had issues shooting them with broadheads.
TEXAS 10PT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 AM   #27
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

Could be as simple as fletching contact. Lipstick is your friend. You could spend hours tuning a problem that isn't there....
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 AM   #28
cmh2007
Ten Point

Mine all lean a bit and never a problem
Old 02-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #29
tradslam
Eight Point

Hunt In: Co,Tx,Ne,Wy,Ok or where ever I draw a tag

I'm running 400 aftermaths 26 inches to the valley of the nock, on a 68 lbs helim (28 inch dl) and getting bullet holes. I don't see how you would be to stiff with a 28 inch arrow at 60lbs at 29. Are your arrows hitting consistently, or all over the place?

Are you shooting 7 inches off at 20yards or 80? If its 20 I'd say some contact is happening.

If you have some heavy inserts, toss in some 100 grainers resight in and measure some groups. (I don't think that little weight you added is off setting the jump in spine unless that new arrow is longer)
tradslam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #30
DoubleGArchery
Ten Point

At 62 pounds you should be able to shoot the 400 spine .You go to 330,340 spine with a short arrow you just got really stiff. If your going heavier weight you might have to shoot your arrows longer, carry on.
DoubleGArchery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #31
boweye
Six Point

A bow at static should have some cam lean. Ideally the cams should be pointed to about 1/4" right of the D-loop for a right handed shooter.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #32
boweye
Six Point

Drawl length has nothing to do with the equation of arrow spine.

Only poundage, arrow length, and to an extent, cam design.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #33
cmh2007
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by boweye View Post

Sure it does. It's the amount of time the arrow has power applied and directly relates to how long an arrow you can use
Old 02-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #34
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:

Yes draw length has a lot to do with spine. This is where the amount of force that is applied to the arrow. My 26.5 draw is not going to apply the same amount of force to an arrow from same bow at 29 inch draw. No matter how long or short the arrow is.

From what I see you wrote, is do to what or how we find spine on a chart. Charts are a rough calculation. Plus charts are set up so if you choose a 26 arrow then your draw is 26 inches. Old school

If you use a program. Draw length makes a big difference.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #35
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
A bow at static should have some cam lean. Ideally the cams should be pointed to about 1/4" right of the D-loop for a right handed shooter.
Yes bows have cam lean but the amount you start with all depends on spine of arrow and the amount of tourqe the shooter is applying to a bow.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #36
boweye
Six Point

I respectfully disagree on the importance of drawl length affect on arrow deflection. I believe the initial release of energy has the greatest affect on arrow deflection and the time thereafter has minimal influence.

I think the arrow is much like a race car, the longer on the track, the faster it goes... but the frame of the car is torqued during the initial start. Thus the arrow's deflection is caused by the initial release of stored energy.

You are right that spine programs use the information.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #37
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
I respectfully disagree on the importance of drawl length affect on arrow deflection. I believe the initial release of energy has the greatest affect on arrow deflection and the time thereafter has minimal influence.

I think the arrow is much like a race car, the longer on the track, the faster it goes... but the frame of the car is torqued during the initial start. Thus the arrow's deflection is caused by the initial release of stored energy.

You are right that spine programs use the information.
Let's talk about this. If the draw made no difference. And the energy into the arrow was just at the release and nothing else then speed of the arrow would be the same no matter what draw length.

Energy is being applied to the arrow as long as it's on the string. And the arrow is being flexed one direction. As soon as arrow leaves the string it will start to flex in the opposite direction and it starts slowing down.

Same as taking a 28 in arrow. If I shoot it from a 26 in draw bow vs a 29 in bow. The arrow will be dynamically stiff in the 26 in bow.

In the race car. The reason it gets faster is your appling energy to the tires to push it Foward the whole time you give it gas. An arrow has no more energy to push it Foward once it leaves the string

Last edited by enewman; 02-05-2016 at 04:07 PM..
Old 02-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #38
jake-1024
Ten Point

Alright. Made a slight adjustment to the rest and took out the 20 gr weights to replace them with 50 gr weights. This is where I'm at right now. The arrow to the right is a slick trick mag and the 2 in the bullseye are field points. Only off about 3 inches.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #39
enewman
Ten Point

Ok if I'm reading this correct. You added more weight. Making the arrow dynamiclly weaker. And it moved over. If this is correct. Now turn your bow up from 62 to 65 and see if they get closer.

I have a few more things to say. But I will Waite.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #40
jake-1024
Ten Point

And this is where things get confusing to me. Took the 50 gr weights out and this is the group at 20 yards. Basically exactly the same.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #41
cmh2007
Ten Point

Form or centershot issue. I'm going to say form
Old 02-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #42
enewman
Ten Point

Hm. Take one of your arrows. Cut the fletching off. Shoot one fletch and one bare shaft and post pic

Last edited by enewman; 02-05-2016 at 05:39 PM..
Old 02-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #43
jake-1024
Ten Point

Bareshaft was no bueno. Arrow hit sideways and ricocheted off the target. Actually blew up.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #44
enewman
Ten Point

Ok then you are way out of tune. Or you are torquing the dog crap out of your bow.
What arrow was that the 340. And what tip weight was you shooting

How tall are you

Last edited by enewman; 02-05-2016 at 06:40 PM..
Old 02-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #45
jake-1024
Ten Point

Ya. I'm gonna start from scratch tomorrow or Sunday before the game. I don't think I'm torquing the bow. I have a loose relaxed hand on the bow, but who knows.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #46
cmh2007
Ten Point

It's either on your release hand or your bow hand
Old 02-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #47
tradslam
Eight Point

Hunt In: Co,Tx,Ne,Wy,Ok or where ever I draw a tag

Draw length does come into play, no question. Speed goes up as draw length goes up, hand in hand.

Can you crank your bow up more, easier then pulling inserts.
tradslam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #48
jake-1024
Ten Point

No. The limbs are maxed out on my bow right now.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #49
enewman
Ten Point

Quote:
Ya. I'm gonna start from scratch tomorrow or Sunday before the game. I don't think I'm torquing the bow. I have a loose relaxed hand on the bow, but who knows.
You will be surprised

So are you 6 ft tall
Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #50
jake-1024
Ten Point

Yes sir. Right at 6 feet.