Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 01-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
MathewsChillR
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Stephens County
Default Do you really need a stabilizer?

I purchased a new bow before Christmas because my limbs broke on my bear during hunting season. I upgraded to a Mathews ChillR. I purchased this bow at cinnamon creek archery off I35. They set me up with a stockerized stabilizer!
To me it makes the bow heavy. Today I shot my bow when I got home and I decided to not install my stabilizer. It actually felt 100x better imo without it.

Do I really need to have a stabilizer if it feels better without?
MathewsChillR is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Kinney Counties

No you don't need one.
panhandlehunter is online now   Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #3
Bowtech38
Ten Point

I took mine off few years ago, shoots just fine with out it, its a bowtech assassin weighs little over 4 pounds ready to shoot with no quiver on it.
Bowtech38 is online now   Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
stickman
Pope & Young

Shot my mathews legacy for many years without a stabilizer.
stickman is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
DOUBLE.A
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Never shot without one but I kno I shoot a lot better with a long one.
DOUBLE.A is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #6
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

All depends. I tried both ways with many different stabilizer combos and none at all and found a combo that made mine feel better, but it is not a heavy set up either.
Mudslinger is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Nope.

You don't need a sling either.

I hunt (and kill) regularly without either.
I haven't used a sling in at least 5 years.
I remember to screw in my stabilizer about 50% of the time.
Texastaxi is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #8
MathewsChillR
Nubbin' Buck

Good!!!!!

It's amazing how much better I am without it on my bow.
I know it's there to add weight to the front of the bow to stabilize the bows weight
However I shoot much better with out it
Old 01-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
Rat
Ten Point

Everyone is different, even the same bows shoots differently from one person to the next.

Do what works for you. On my hunting rig I like a 12" stab with about 4 oz of weight. My field rig needs a longer stab and a little less weight, but I'm shooting 90 meters with that bow.

So for me, a stab is necessary.

So is a sling. I shoot with curled fingers to the side of the grip. If I don't have my sling on the bow hits the ground.

It's up to you, there is no right or wrong, yes or no, blanket answer.
Rat is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
BowTech2010
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

The chill r has an added weight in the bottom of the riser so a stabilizer isn't absolutely needed
BowTech2010 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #11
MathewsChillR
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTech2010 View Post
The chill r has an added weight in the bottom of the riser so a stabilizer isn't absolutely needed
Thanks for that info
Old 01-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #12
Brock Middlebrook
Pope & Young

I don't use one.
Brock Middlebrook is online now   Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
Quackedup
Six Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

A true stabilizer is perimeter weighted, ie, the weight is mainly on the outside of the stabilizer, away from the riser. This set up actually will slow pin movement and make it a little less pronounced. most of the "stabilizers" out today are not perimeter weighted and are more for reducing noise and vibration instead of actual stabilization. Most are designed around looks rather than a true stabilizing benefit. Having said all of that, I had a 6" stabilizer on my ChillR year before last and skipped it on my HTR this year. For hunting at short yardage, I don't think the added weight makes up for the little stabilization you get. On my Tournament rigs, I run 26"-30" front rods and a 12" sidebar with about a pound and a half total end weight. This really slows down pin movement and makes it easier to make aiming corrections due to the mass weight of the bow.
Quackedup is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #14
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackedup View Post
A true stabilizer is perimeter weighted, ie, the weight is mainly on the outside of the stabilizer, away from the riser. This set up actually will slow pin movement and make it a little less pronounced. most of the "stabilizers" out today are not perimeter weighted and are more for reducing noise and vibration instead of actual stabilization. Most are designed around looks rather than a true stabilizing benefit. Having said all of that, I had a 6" stabilizer on my ChillR year before last and skipped it on my HTR this year. For hunting at short yardage, I don't think the added weight makes up for the little stabilization you get. On my Tournament rigs, I run 26"-30" front rods and a 12" sidebar with about a pound and a half total end weight. This really slows down pin movement and makes it easier to make aiming corrections due to the mass weight of the bow.

Yep!
Mudslinger is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #15
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
While true for the most part, my hunting stab is 11" carbon rod with 8oz stainless weights on the end and for the fun of it I pulled it off and shot without it and my pin movement actually slowed without compared to with it. Maybe some bows just balance better than others? I had never tried it but it was very noticeable at 50+yds
bphillips is online now   Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #16
ferrellv
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere i can

Nope i shoot mine without one and dont have any trouble.
ferrellv is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
acwirz
Nubbin' Buck

I need to try shooting without one after reading this. I've always felt that the bow is heavy with it on there but was necessary.
acwirz is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2016, 06:04 AM   #18
Quackedup
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
While true for the most part, my hunting stab is 11" carbon rod with 8oz stainless weights on the end and for the fun of it I pulled it off and shot without it and my pin movement actually slowed without compared to with it. Maybe some bows just balance better than others? I had never tried it but it was very noticeable at 50+yds

That might have been too much weight out front. Most bows don't need that much weight to balance. Putting a lot of weight up front usually means some rear weight needs to be added to make the bow balance. On my target set up, the 30" bar only has 4 ounces on the end of it and the 12" rear bar has 16 ounces. This makes the bow sit very neutral in my hand. If it is really windy out, I may up the weight a little, but I keep the 1 to 4 ratio and the bow stays in balance.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 AM   #19
bow4my2
Pope & Young

I only have one as a noise dampner on my z7 but doesn't really do anything for weight. its actually one bow that I have shot that feels pretty balanced
bow4my2 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #20
muddyz
Four Point

I'll have to try shooting with an without now and see.
muddyz is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #21
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
That might have been too much weight out front. Most bows don't need that much weight to balance. Putting a lot of weight up front usually means some rear weight needs to be added to make the bow balance. On my target set up, the 30" bar only has 4 ounces on the end of it and the 12" rear bar has 16 ounces. This makes the bow sit very neutral in my hand. If it is really windy out, I may up the weight a little, but I keep the 1 to 4 ratio and the bow stays in balance.
Yea it was too heavy I believe but even with only one 4oz weight it was still better without any stab. It kicks back a little after the shot without one but it will be worth it having it hold better
bphillips is online now   Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #22
XJessen89
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Varies

I am going to try shooting it both ways this afternoon and see what I prefer. I would like to keep the bow on the lighter side. Does anyone know if they make a screw to hold your sling in place of the stabilizer? My bow came with the stabilizer and I added a sling from Cabela's, but it did not come with anything to mount the sling.
XJessen89 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #23
old killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico

They will add weight. The right amount of weight will stabilize the bow and keep the fibers from appearing to shake or move as much, like the ones used by target archers.
I have a 90 degree set up on my Chill R and use a 4 inch stabilizer turned up to use as a carry handle so I don't carry the bow by the string.
The key is your group size vs the carry the carry weight. In the mountains the weight can be a problem. Not so much when you walk 300yds to a tree stand. With the new parallel limb design hand shock is no longer an issue.
Practice both ways and see which way you prefer.
old killer is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #24
Bubbasnl
Nubbin' Buck

Default Comes down to what works

My old bow I didn't use one and it felt great, my new one I tried out a friends and found it made a difference, think it ultimately just depends on what feels best for your setup. Test with and with out, use what ever works best and you feel most confident in.
Bubbasnl is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #25
Quackedup
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJessen89 View Post
I am going to try shooting it both ways this afternoon and see what I prefer. I would like to keep the bow on the lighter side. Does anyone know if they make a screw to hold your sling in place of the stabilizer? My bow came with the stabilizer and I added a sling from Cabela's, but it did not come with anything to mount the sling.
a rest bolt is the same size and thread as a stabilizer stud. If you don't have an extra bolt, they are standard sized, I just cant remember of the top of my head what size they are.

Last edited by Quackedup; 01-20-2016 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Typo's
Old 01-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #26
Rat
Ten Point

5/16 x 24, 1/2" long will work. Use a stainless cab screw (bolt with the Allen wrench head) it looks cooler.
Rat is offline   Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #27
Iehooligan11b
Ten Point

I've got a sniper hawg light. Does that count?
Iehooligan11b is offline   Back To The Top