Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-22-2015, 03:07 PM   #201
holdem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, County

Started fly fishing in Drayton Valley, Alberta between the Saskatchawan and Pembina Rivers in 1958. Have fly fished in Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Idaho, Utah, Washington, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, Turkey and Italy.

Braunig and Calaveras fly boxes. Tying Briminators today after I separate Racoon underfur (dubbing) from the hair. Caught him under the porch. LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by holdem; 02-22-2015 at 03:44 PM..
holdem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #202
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

In the next few days I'll post my 9 wt custom fly rod build in the DIY section.

Blank is a 9 foot, 2 Piece, MHX High Modulus graphite blank. The blank weighs in at 2.3 grams, 4.5 tip with a .378" butt. Opted to go 2 piece for strength, feel and smooth blank recovery.

Guides will be American Tackle Titanium single foot guides (dual foot at stripper and first guide up from reel seat). Tip will a Fuji SIC Titanium. Single foot ring guides will allow the blank to flex smoothly without the additional stiffening factor found, when wrapping the forward guide foot down using traditional snake guides. These TI guides are super light and extremely strong - saltwater proof as well as braid proof (backing).

The reel seat is an American Tackle, thread up Aluminum Braided window reel seat, with a burled rose wood insert.

Grip is a Portuguese cork Half Wells

This rod will be built to fish my Galvan Rush Lite fly reel - backed with 250 yards of 20lb braid on various 9 wt floating and sinking lines. I have 3 spools for the Glavan and my thought is, this rod will cover coastal winds, jetty and PINS surf opportunities a bit better than my 8 wt TFO BVK.

The 8 wt TFO BVK is fishing with a Ross 8 wt reel and I'll have my son on this fly stick, as we chase our coastal addictions.

As it is with all custom rod builds, the color selection is the toughest decision to make. So I'll theme it much like this casting blank's colors.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 03-02-2015 at 11:05 AM..
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #203
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Cool! Can't wait to see your project, Rob. I use single foot guides too. They keep the line off the blank a little better, which I think helps shoot line a little further. And it makes for half the work in wrapping thread too.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #204
Mesquite Archer
Eight Point

Hunt In: Whitney / Abilene, KS

I was bit by the fly fishing bug about 15 years ago. I fly fish Colorado, Oklahoma and Arkansas when I get a chance and I cast a fly to the sand bass in Rowlett creek when they are running. The picture below is me in the Big Thompson River in Colorado.
Attached Images

Mesquite Archer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #205
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

DIY Fly rod build up as build phase Uno!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #206
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
DIY Fly rod build up as build phase Uno!
Looking forward to that. Let me know when your ready to start taking orders!
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #207
Chrisj81
Six Point

its my favorite way to fish
Chrisj81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #208
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cayuga, Childress, the Mountains

great thread. Surprised I never noticed it until now. Count me as a TBH fly fisherman.
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #209
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
I was bit by the fly fishing bug about 15 years ago. I fly fish Colorado, Oklahoma and Arkansas when I get a chance and I cast a fly to the sand bass in Rowlett creek when they are running. The picture below is me in the Big Thompson River in Colorado.
This is why I love throwing flies. The unique experiences that accompany getting into secluded waters are one in a million
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #210
CTR0022
Eight Point

My buddy Rob Anderson has been on a role the past few weeks on Pyramid Lake. They have been catching alot of 10-15lb cutthroats. Pyramid Lake is probably your best bet at catching a 10+ lb trout, the average fish will typically break most people personal best trout. . Pyramid is just a short drive from Reno, NV. Rob is one of the leading guides up there and will put you on some big fish.

I caught this opne with Rob a few years ago, just shy of 12lbs
Full Story and Pics HERE

CTR0022 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #211
Hector7
Eight Point

Hunt In: Zavala, Frio and Medina County

Awesome fish
Hector7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #212
Muygrande
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
My buddy Rob Anderson has been on a role the past few weeks on Pyramid Lake. They have been catching alot of 10-15lb cutthroats. Pyramid Lake is probably your best bet at catching a 10+ lb trout, the average fish will typically break most people personal best trout. . Pyramid is just a short drive from Reno, NV. Rob is one of the leading guides up there and will put you on some big fish.

I caught this opne with Rob a few years ago, just shy of 12lbs
Full Story and Pics HERE

Awesome. Isn't Pyramid the lake were they still have the pure strain of Lahontan cutthroats? Beautiful fish.
Muygrande is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #213
ajcarricktx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort hood, any were else I can access

It sure is. I never fished there but had to watch them. Only place I've seen fishing ladders lol.
ajcarricktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #214
CTR0022
Eight Point

a couple flies i tied up last weekend

Old 03-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #215
Morning Glory
Four Point

Hunt In: Sutton Co.

Man I fly fish every chance I get. If u want a crazy fun trip call capt Gregg Moon in hopedale la. I was in New Orleans on a job and booked a trip with him in January. 20 and 30 founders on fly. I missed a couple at 40lbs. U want regret it and u will go every year.
Morning Glory is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #216
Morning Glory
Four Point

All redfish. I would post pics but I'm new to site and can't do anything.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #217
CTR0022
Eight Point

Capt Greg moon is the Man! Her is a 2 day trip i did with Capt Moon the first day and Capt Dini the next. Both days were epic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #218
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

I enjoy fishing more than hunting, mainly bass fishing but I love to chase crappie and occasionally stripers and catfish. One of these days I would like to go big game fishing.
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #219
Morning Glory
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
Capt Greg moon is the Man! Her is a 2 day trip i did with Capt Moon the first day and Capt Dini the next. Both days were epic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO
Glad too see someone has been with Gregg also. I am going back this summer again. Prob in June or july
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #220
austinRecurve
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Alaska

Hole full of Pinks.
Attached Images

austinRecurve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #221
austinRecurve
Ten Point

This one didn't make it.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #222
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Just booked a few days late May in New Mexico! Getting excited!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 PM   #223
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Just booked a few days late May in New Mexico! Getting excited!
Where you headed, Randy?
Old 03-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #224
austinRecurve
Ten Point

Coho, Alaska, 2009.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 PM   #225
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Where you headed, Randy?
Shane, I have a long time friend who recently bought a vacation home in Angel Fire. We went out with them in late January to check out the area. I gave him a 4wt Echo rod, reel, line, net and some wading boots! Told him he needs to get back into fly fishing (he grew up in Colorado Springs and fly fished as a teenager, but hasn't since then). It worked! He called and wants us to go out in late May and fish for 2-3 days while the wives chill.

I PMed NMStickFlinger3, and he recommended Nick and Taylor Streit, who own Taos Fly Shop. Not sure exactly where we will fish, but for sure the Cimarron and maybe the Rio Grande if we old coots can traverse down to it. Generally, it will be in the Angel Fire, Taos area. Eventually, I would like to get out on Eagle's Nest Lake and hook into some Pike!

http://www.streitflyfishing.com/

Last edited by Burnadell; 03-18-2015 at 11:01 PM..
Old 03-19-2015, 12:59 PM   #226
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinRecurve View Post
Coho, Alaska, 2009.
WooWee! Would love to get one of those on my line someday.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #227
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
Shane, I have a long time friend who recently bought a vacation home in Angel Fire. We went out with them in late January to check out the area. I gave him a 4wt Echo rod, reel, line, net and some wading boots! Told him he needs to get back into fly fishing (he grew up in Colorado Springs and fly fished as a teenager, but hasn't since then). It worked! He called and wants us to go out in late May and fish for 2-3 days while the wives chill.

I PMed NMStickFlinger3, and he recommended Nick and Taylor Streit, who own Taos Fly Shop. Not sure exactly where we will fish, but for sure the Cimarron and maybe the Rio Grande if we old coots can traverse down to it. Generally, it will be in the Angel Fire, Taos area. Eventually, I would like to get out on Eagle's Nest Lake and hook into some Pike!

http://www.streitflyfishing.com/
Taylor Streit has been guiding there forever. I've heard good things about him, but I've never fished with him. I have a buddy that also lives in Taos and guides, so I fish with him whenever I want a guide in that area. Cimarron is fun. So is the Rio. We usually go behind the mountain at Questa to the Wild Rivers area and go down there. You can get to the Red from there as well, including the confluence of the Red and the Rio. Going down to the river is easy. Coming back up the canyon is the hard part.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:29 PM   #228
WCI
Ten Point

Not an expert but a 30 year student of flyfishing. I can assure you a fly will outfish any other legal forms. It does not take a professional fly rodder to accomplish this either.

Wilk
WCI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #229
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Taylor Streit has been guiding there forever. I've heard good things about him, but I've never fished with him. I have a buddy that also lives in Taos and guides, so I fish with him whenever I want a guide in that area. Cimarron is fun. So is the Rio. We usually go behind the mountain at Questa to the Wild Rivers area and go down there. You can get to the Red from there as well, including the confluence of the Red and the Rio. Going down to the river is easy. Coming back up the canyon is the hard part.

Who is the guide you know from Taos? Spencer Seim by chance?
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2015, 11:53 PM   #230
PROUDREDNECK
Ten Point

Another one brother include me on your list
PROUDREDNECK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #231
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
Who is the guide you know from Taos? Spencer Seim by chance?
No, it's Mark Cowan. He's a real estate appraiser for his main job, but he guides all over the world. He guides occasionally with Van Beacham at the Solitary Angler in Taos as well.

http://remoteflyfishing.com/
Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #232
CTR0022
Eight Point

Tour of Texas; Baffin Bay Speckled Trout
The Baffin complex, which includes Alazan Bay, Cayo del Grullo and Laguna Salada is the most remote bay system on the Texas Gulf Coast. It reaches west of the Laguna Madre, about midway between Corpus Christi and Port Mansfield, isolated from the open Gulf by Padre Island. This large bay complex is unique in many ways. Due to its lack of any major freshwater drains and any open passes leading to the Gulf of Mexico, Baffin Bay has a higher salinity level then any other bay in the area. Its is believed that the high salinity levels help the trout grow larger because the fish are not stressed by constantly having to adjust to varying salinity levels. It is also believed that since the bay is protected from the Gulf of Mexico that sharks, dolphin and other large predatory fish typically do not move into the bay to prey on the trout. Serpulid reefs are found no where else on the Texas coast and are unique to Baffin. Living and growing serpulid reefs occur in only a few other areas of the world. These reefs are dated from 300 to 3,000 years old. Serpulid worms (after the family of tube-building worms, Serpulidae) and much like coral reef-building animals, making their tube homes out of calcium carbonate. Over time, these tubes build up into very large rock-like reef structures. While there are some living worms still found on these reefs, there are no reports the reefs are building or enlarging at this time.

Continue Reading Here

Old 03-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #233
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I trout fished a bit when I was stationed at Carlisle Barracks, PA, but now it is just bass, crappie, and panfish in Tx tanks and the Guadalupe River. Here's one I caught several years back--

dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #234
CTR0022
Eight Point

Whats normally called a pond is called a tank in Texas. Your average cow will drink roughly 25 gallons of water a day during our scorching summers. To provide water for their livestock ranchers started building tanks by bull dozing a dirt dam across a gully to collect runoff. Today many of these tanks are supplemented by wells that pump cool fresh ground water keeping these tanks full of water. They started getting stocked by sportsman and ranchers with bass and other game fish and frankly some just got fish in them from unknown sources. These tanks can be located in some of the most water barren parts of the state, but somehow they hold fish and other amphibians like bullfrogs and red ear sliders. They are a great fishing opportunity that shouldn't be over looked. The fishing is normally pretty easy due to the lack of fishing pressure and the small size of these water impediments. No matter what the conditions are like, (high pressure, cold front or clear windless days) you can almost always find a few fish that are willing to add a smile to your day.

Full Report Here

2.5lb crappie
Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #235
CTR0022
Eight Point

anyone here have any experience fishing the clearwater for stealheads?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #236
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Fly sticks

Left: MHX Custom self build - Galvan reel - Rio Outbound short 1.5 sec sink on the upper 10ft

Middle: TFO BVK - Ross reel - Scientific Anglers Mastery redfish float

Right: Scientific Anglers

Little Deadlies with weed guards for the Laguna Madre grassy flats

Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-29-2015 at 10:30 AM..
Old 05-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #237
CTR0022
Eight Point

The sunfish family is probably the single most species of fish responsible for getting new anglers started in fishing. Sunfish, bream or panfish is a common collective name to refer to the many species that make up the sunfish family. Sunfish refers to a whole group of small fish that are pretty, plentiful and pugnacious. They aren’t the biggest fish but as they say it’s not the size of the fish in the fight that counts; it’s the size of the fight in the fish. Fishing for these guys is a ball on a slow fly rod like a TFO 3wt Finesse or your favorite glass rod. Sunfish are deep-bodied, which gives them a lot of surface area to leverage against the water during a fight and with their flat, slender bodies and fins they can accelerate and change direction quickly. The best thing about fishing for sunfish is you only need the most basic equipment. A 2, 3 or 4 weight fly rod is ideal, a click pawl reel and a standard weight forward floating line. Fly rods can be 6-9 foot because rarely will you be casting pass a few rod lengths. A medium to slow rod will be the most sporting and will allow these feisty fish to put a good bend into the cork of the rod. A very basic eight foot leader in 4x tipped with the most popular fly in the world a wooly bugger. Olive, black or brown wooly buggers in size 10-14 will catch gills all day long. Very rarely are these fish picky on flies and when you find a few dozen of them on their classic honey comb beds; it’s a rear occasion to not get a hit after two or three strips. Sunfish are found everywhere, from small creeks, neighborhood ponds, lakes, rivers and don’t pass up some of the small landscaping ponds found around shopping malls, banks and other suburban areas. Spawning from late spring to early fall these fish will populate any body of water they live in rather quickly. The best time to find the biggest females is the days leading up to the full moon. This is when they move up to spawn and can be target quiet easily on a fly rod. Typically these bigger fish will only be up in the shallows at night and at grey light. You’ll catch fish all day long on the beds but if you are looking for Bullgills, it is best to come back during the night to target these fish. Bullgills are the biggest of the bluegills and will break 10” and weigh over a pond. The current Texas state record bluegill is just over 2lbs and was caught in the Lampasas River in 1999. There are many private bass ponds where these fish are fed high protein pellets several times a day and for the private water record in Texas the current record is over 3lbs. I’m sure many have been caught even bigger but the bluegill in these ponds are meant to grow big bass and probably don’t get much consideration for anything else.

Continue Reading Here
Old 05-10-2015, 01:05 AM   #238
Treehunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Where do you guys order your flies online??? Wondering what else is out there other than cabelas
Treehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2015, 04:00 AM   #239
djohnson
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County
Default 95%

95% of all my fishing now is with a fly. I will be fly fishing the Devil's River next Thur-Monday. Can't wait for some of those smallmouths on the fly.
djohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2015, 04:16 AM   #240
djohnson
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County
Default 95%

95% of all my fishing now is with a fly. I will be fly fishing the Devil's River next Thur-Monday. Can't wait for some of those smallmouths on the fly.
djohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2015, 06:03 AM   #241
cmh2007
Ten Point

Try flyfishfood fly shop

http://store.flyfishfood.com/mobile/...y.aspx?id=1814
cmh2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #242
CTR0022
Eight Point

Matt Bennett in Round Rock ties custom flies. He worked at Living Waters flyshop in Round Rock for a few years and now has started tying commercially full time. you can contact him for any flies and he'll tie them up for you.

http://flygeek.net/
Old 05-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #243
hooligan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
In the next few days I'll post my 9 wt custom fly rod build in the DIY section.

As it is with all custom rod builds, the color selection is the toughest decision to make. So I'll theme it much like this casting blank's colors.
I have a rod with those same color wraps
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #244
CTR0022
Eight Point

anyone here ever fish the gunnison gorge? I;m in the middle of planning a trip for mid to late august. Would like to hear about your trip if you've been. thanks
Old 06-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #245
Treehunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Any suggestions where I can practice my fly fishing skills in Arlington? Any neighborhood ponds?
Treehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #246
cmh2007
Ten Point

Dry casting with a piece of yarn tied into your tippet eureka best
cmh2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2015, 02:59 PM   #247
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehunter View Post
Any suggestions where I can practice my fly fishing skills in Arlington? Any neighborhood ponds?
I don't live in Arlington, but all I ever really do is fly fish neighborhood ponds. In fact, I like to hit up different neighborhood fishing, not just the one in my neighborhood (my neighborhood pond is more of a tank.)

Oh and google earth is your friend. Just look around where you live and see if any of the water you see is a fishing pond. I found several I didn't even know about.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #248
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I used to when I had the time> I am planning to start up again now that I am semi-retired. I just took my 4 wt rig to my house up in Arkansas. Went for a drive to the Little Red River last weekend but didn't fish.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #249
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Hopefully going this evening. Back to the ol honey hole with my trusty 4 wt. TFO. Gotta love that topwater blowup.
Attached Images

quarterback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #250
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

I've been trying to catch perch in my tank but all I get is bass. It is a good deal of fun to catch a 1-3# bass on my 4wt but they're not my target
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top