Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #2151
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Went last night for a quick run through some recently harvested fields and took out 3 more hogs.

keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #2152
Outback77
Pope & Young
 
Outback77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Azle
Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited
Default

Nice!
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #2153
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Awesome, great looking setup and nice hog! What mount and tripod are you using?

I've got an off brand pro tripod, like a Manfrotto, but it's HEAVY! I compared the weight to the popular Manfrottos and it's nearly identical. No way I could tote that thing around, I do too much walking and stalking. I'm considering something lighter.

I also can't decide whether to get a pig saddle or a Reaper grip. Looks like you are using something else?
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #2154
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Awesome, great looking setup and nice hog! What mount and tripod are you using?

I've got an off brand pro tripod, like a Manfrotto, but it's HEAVY! I compared the weight to the popular Manfrottos and it's nearly identical. No way I could tote that thing around, I do too much walking and stalking. I'm considering something lighter.

I also can't decide whether to get a pig saddle or a Reaper grip. Looks like you are using something else?
Lol that's actually my Primos trigger sticks tripod. To me its the best choice for maneuverability and stability. It's light enough to carry and quickly set up and still stable to shoot from. Not as stable as a reaper though. My SBR blackout is just very well balanced so its able to balance on it like that for a photo

I'm thinking of ordering the reaper grip and the tripod they sell. Might even just get the head part and put it on the trigger sticks.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #2155
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Awesome, great looking setup and nice hog! What mount and tripod are you using?

I've got an off brand pro tripod, like a Manfrotto, but it's HEAVY! I compared the weight to the popular Manfrottos and it's nearly identical. No way I could tote that thing around, I do too much walking and stalking. I'm considering something lighter.

I also can't decide whether to get a pig saddle or a Reaper grip. Looks like you are using something else?
https://www.magpul.com/products/fire...tripod-adapter

There is also this option
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #2156
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Well I ordered a reaper grip.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #2157
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

The REAPER rest is too expensive for me...and I walk a good bit and it is too bulky and heavy for me.

Primos bipod is what I like. My 2 good buddies in the group have a reaper rest and love them
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #2158
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
The REAPER rest is too expensive for me...and I walk a good bit and it is too bulky and heavy for me.

Primos bipod is what I like. My 2 good buddies in the group have a reaper rest and love them
Yeah I've got the primos monopod, bipod, and tripod. I like the tripod the best but wanted something more stable so I got the reaper. I'll mainly use it for long range shooting and predator hunting but occasionally hog hunting if it doesn't turn out being too much of a hassle to carry. Thats why I still have the tripod trigger sticks though. If I feel like it's going to be a bit of a walk I'll take them.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 AM   #2159
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Thanks for all the info. I'm really not sure what to get but there is no way I can lug around a big heavy tripod like my off brand Manfrotto. Tonight is a good example. I spotted a hog off my back porch down in the pasture at about 350+ yards near the creek. I grabbed my rifle and a monopod and took off through the 3 ft tall wet grass fighting it the whole way. I couldn't walk straight down to him so I ended up walking a good 450+ yards to get down there. 0% chance I could have lugged a huge tripod and I stopped 5-6 times to see if I could get a shot at him off the monopod but I couldn't because of the grass, but that is a whole other story for another time.lol

I guess I'm definitely going to have to do some more research and see what the best lightweight option will be for me. I do admit, it would be nice to have a grip sturdy enough that it would hold my rifle if I did decide to mount it on my big pro tripod.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #2160
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Thanks for all the info. I'm really not sure what to get but there is no way I can lug around a big heavy tripod like my off brand Manfrotto. Tonight is a good example. I spotted a hog off my back porch down in the pasture at about 350+ yards near the creek. I grabbed my rifle and a monopod and took off through the 3 ft tall wet grass fighting it the whole way. I couldn't walk straight down to him so I ended up walking a good 450+ yards to get down there. 0% chance I could have lugged a huge tripod and I stopped 5-6 times to see if I could get a shot at him off the monopod but I couldn't because of the grass, but that is a whole other story for another time.lol

I guess I'm definitely going to have to do some more research and see what the best lightweight option will be for me. I do admit, it would be nice to have a grip sturdy enough that it would hold my rifle if I did decide to mount it on my big pro tripod.
Yes exactly my thoughts. Why I love my primos bipod. Got it on sale for $65.

No way I am spending $350-400 for the REAPER setup and carrying a super heavy setup when we stalk up close to them like you
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 10:43 PM   #2161
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Thanks for all the info. I'm really not sure what to get but there is no way I can lug around a big heavy tripod like my off brand Manfrotto. Tonight is a good example. I spotted a hog off my back porch down in the pasture at about 350+ yards near the creek. I grabbed my rifle and a monopod and took off through the 3 ft tall wet grass fighting it the whole way. I couldn't walk straight down to him so I ended up walking a good 450+ yards to get down there. 0% chance I could have lugged a huge tripod and I stopped 5-6 times to see if I could get a shot at him off the monopod but I couldn't because of the grass, but that is a whole other story for another time.lol



I guess I'm definitely going to have to do some more research and see what the best lightweight option will be for me. I do admit, it would be nice to have a grip sturdy enough that it would hold my rifle if I did decide to mount it on my big pro tripod.


I'm out tonight using my reaper and SLIK tripod. Weighs about 8 pounds total so it's not too bad. If you leave the gun in it and fold it down then fold the legs up you can carry it all together pretty easy. But if I have to walk much or through heavy stuff I take my tripod trigger sticks.

Works amazing though!
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #2162
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

The 1st pic is legit!

You need to get a DLSR camera and take long exposure night shots. The best pics you will ever see
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #2163
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
The 1st pic is legit!

You need to get a DLSR camera and take long exposure night shots. The best pics you will ever see
Yeah I've been tossing the idea around about getting a D5600 or something to get some better photos.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #2164
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

In addition to the dog I got last night we also took out two spotted boars. One being a good size boar with lots of character, like split ears and several large scars on his back and sides.

keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #2165
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

that last pic is a HOSS....fighting sob
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #2166
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
that last pic is a HOSS....fighting sob


Yes sir he had lots of scars on him and both ears pretty tore up. You could tell he was pretty old. I'm not sure how to go about aging pigs though.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #2167
Avezorak
Ten Point
 
Avezorak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: South Brazos County and Freestone County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
I have the REAP IR and have the UNV DVR setup. Once used to it, its not a big deal. The quality is good, but not exactly what you see thru the eyepiece.



I have taken 15-20 videos of kills over the last 3 months.





Like he said, the options are extremely limited and this was the best option IMO.



The price of the REAP went up to $8k and now includes more of the DVR stuff for "free"


Thanks guys. Picked up my UNV DVR and cable today and its charging now. Hoping I can figure out how to get everything set up so I can record my hunts this weekend. Ill post up if I do any good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avezorak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 12:26 AM   #2168
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Great photos Keaton, those are awesome!

I checked out my pro tripod with the ball head and it weighs 8.3lbs with no rifle grip. It's just too much weight for the type of spot and stalk hunting I'm doing. I'm really interested in the Trigger Sticks just because of the weight and quick/quiet deployment. Would I be able to mount another rifle grip on it like the REAPER, Hog Saddle, M-Lok etc? If so, do you think the Trigger Sticks would hold an AR up in a horizontal position with one of those grips attached?

You seem to have used a lot of these options so I'd prefer to buy once than buy 3 times trying to make something work. Thanks
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #2169
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avezorak View Post
Thanks guys. Picked up my UNV DVR and cable today and its charging now. Hoping I can figure out how to get everything set up so I can record my hunts this weekend. Ill post up if I do any good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do not overcharge it.
45-60 mins max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Great photos Keaton, those are awesome!

I checked out my pro tripod with the ball head and it weighs 8.3lbs with no rifle grip. It's just too much weight for the type of spot and stalk hunting I'm doing. I'm really interested in the Trigger Sticks just because of the weight and quick/quiet deployment. Would I be able to mount another rifle grip on it like the REAPER, Hog Saddle, M-Lok etc? If so, do you think the Trigger Sticks would hold an AR up in a horizontal position with one of those grips attached?

You seem to have used a lot of these options so I'd prefer to buy once than buy 3 times trying to make something work. Thanks
I have not checked but I know the V head of it unscrews. I wouldn't use it to hold a gun with no hands on it.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #2170
Avezorak
Ten Point
 
Avezorak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: South Brazos County and Freestone County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Do not overcharge it.

45-60 minutes max

Thanks man. I had heard that and set a timer. I got everything put together and working and took a couple videos in the yard. Its kind of a pita to find a place to put that dvr thats not in the way but I got it figured out.

Leaving early tomorrow to head south with my Reap-IR on my 300BO SBR and a MK3-35mm Hunter on one of my 5.56 ARs. We are gonna burn some batteries on the thermals and the Foxpro this weekend. Looking forward to it. I think the next thing is gonna be a PVS-14 on a TW Bump helmet. Should make spot n stalk a lot easier.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avezorak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #2171
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avezorak View Post
Thanks man. I had heard that and set a timer. I got everything put together and working and took a couple videos in the yard. Its kind of a pita to find a place to put that dvr thats not in the way but I got it figured out.

Leaving early tomorrow to head south with my Reap-IR on my 300BO SBR and a MK3-35mm Hunter on one of my 5.56 ARs. We are gonna burn some batteries on the thermals and the Foxpro this weekend. Looking forward to it. I think the next thing is gonna be a PVS-14 on a TW Bump helmet. Should make spot n stalk a lot easier.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it will!

I also run a REAP IR. Been using my .223 but will be switching to my new .300 BO also.

Seen some good deals on brand new 308's I want to buy
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #2172
stxhunter
Ten Point
 
stxhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Duval County
Default

Keaton, which model of SLIK tripod did you go with ? Like that setup!
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #2173
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxhunter View Post
Keaton, which model of SLIK tripod did you go with ? Like that setup!
It's the pro 700dx. I'm really liking it. Extremely heavy duty. Strong enough to hold my 11 pound 308 and that ~25-30 pound dog.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #2174
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Great photos Keaton, those are awesome!

I checked out my pro tripod with the ball head and it weighs 8.3lbs with no rifle grip. It's just too much weight for the type of spot and stalk hunting I'm doing. I'm really interested in the Trigger Sticks just because of the weight and quick/quiet deployment. Would I be able to mount another rifle grip on it like the REAPER, Hog Saddle, M-Lok etc? If so, do you think the Trigger Sticks would hold an AR up in a horizontal position with one of those grips attached?

You seem to have used a lot of these options so I'd prefer to buy once than buy 3 times trying to make something work. Thanks
When you first hold the tripod by itself you think theres no way you'd want to carry it very far. But I found it to not be so bad at all. I carried it for a 300 yard stalk across a harvested wheat field and didn't hate it. Now the trigger sticks are easier..but the tripod wasn't bad at all. Just clamp the rifle in and have the legs already extended to the length you want and then fold them in and point the gun down. When you get where you're going to shoot you just fold the legs out and get the rifle up. Takes all of 2-3 seconds. And with my trigger sticks I get the length I want them at before I get to the hogs because they all don't like to extended at the same speed or ease. So even with the trigger sticks I need to fold the legs out when I get there.

But yes the trigger stick tripod does have a 3/8-16 bolt and a 1/4-20 bolt where you cold attach the grip to. But it just does not seem very sturdy. But I'll give it a try tonight! It might work ok for my SBR that doesn't weigh much but I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable using my AR308.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #2175
Avezorak
Ten Point
 
Avezorak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: South Brazos County and Freestone County
Default



Im still not crazy about where the DVR is mounted but it will do for now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avezorak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #2176
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avezorak View Post


Im still not crazy about where the DVR is mounted but it will do for now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Where did you buy your MDVR? It should have come with the UNV custom buttstock pouch and shock cord kit. It's a perfect place for it and I forget it's there, really a good out of the way place.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #2177
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Where did you buy your MDVR? It should have come with the UNV custom buttstock pouch and shock cord kit. It's a perfect place for it and I forget it's there, really a good out of the way place.


Mine is older and is the small leather case. But I glued that to a piece of aluminum that I have bolted to half of a offset flashlight mount and I mount it on the pic rail built into the Zeus thermal.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #2178
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Just weighed my reaper grip and tripod. 7.9 pounds.
I also tried attaching my reaper grip to my trigger sticks and it's just not strong enough to hold up a gun. The grip on the trigger stick wants to break over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2017, 12:52 AM   #2179
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keatonskidmore View Post
Mine is older and is the small leather case. But I glued that to a piece of aluminum that I have bolted to half of a offset flashlight mount and I mount it on the pic rail built into the Zeus thermal.


Ya that's the really old case that came with them. About 2.5 years ago UNV came out with a new custom pouch and molle panel buttstock attachment. It was an add on item that not many people knew about but I gave it to my customers for free. Then they dumped the molle panel and kept the custom pouch, added shock cord (bungee) with small plastic hooks and it became a standard included accessory. That was probably about 1+ years ago. Here is a pic of the new setup.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2017, 12:54 AM   #2180
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keatonskidmore View Post
Just weighed my reaper grip and tripod. 7.9 pounds.
I also tried attaching my reaper grip to my trigger sticks and it's just not strong enough to hold up a gun. The grip on the trigger stick wants to break over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Ya I was afraid of that. I wondered how sturdy that grip was. Since I've already got the fancy tripod and ball head I guess I can just buy a grip and see how I like carrying the tripod. If it's too heavy I can try something else...... thanks!
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #2181
Avezorak
Ten Point
 
Avezorak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: South Brazos County and Freestone County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
Ya that's the really old case that came with them. About 2.5 years ago UNV came out with a new custom pouch and molle panel buttstock attachment. It was an add on item that not many people knew about but I gave it to my customers for free. Then they dumped the molle panel and kept the custom pouch, added shock cord (bungee) with small plastic hooks and it became a standard included accessory. That was probably about 1+ years ago. Here is a pic of the new setup.


I got mine from a guy who imports them directly from the same place as UNV. I saw some guys running the buttstock pouch but just wasnt sure if I wanted it there. I have a nylon pouch thats about the right size. I may try it after this trip.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avezorak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #2182
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

I don't even notice my UNV recorder pouch now. I zip tied mine on and its perfect and does not move.

How do those elastic straps work? I have them but couldn't figure them out. Zip ties don't move and seem to be more stable
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #2183
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avezorak View Post
I got mine from a guy who imports them directly from the same place as UNV. I saw some guys running the buttstock pouch but just wasnt sure if I wanted it there. I have a nylon pouch thats about the right size. I may try it after this trip.
Gotcha. I would definitely look into mounting it on the right side of the buttstock (assuming you are a left hand shooter). I can see you've got an enlarged buttstock, so it might not mount as well there, I can't tell but the buttstock is a really nice place because it's out of the way. Have fun with it and be sure to use the remote record switch. The MDVR is a pain to use without the remote record switch and the battery won't last very long without it because you will leave it running because it's so hard to turn on and off. The remote record switch is so handy and your battery will last for many hunts.

Good luck and we want to see videos of what you kill!
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2017, 11:32 PM   #2184
Avezorak
Ten Point
 
Avezorak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: South Brazos County and Freestone County
Default







We have put 10 on the ground so far yesterday and today. These optics are incredible. Im hoping I got some video, Im not 100% sure how the DVR works. Lol. I have also discovered I absolutely must have a helmet mounted PVS 14 to navigate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avezorak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #2185
Buckwheat
Pope & Young
 
Buckwheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Clifton,Tx
Hunt In: Bosque County
Default

Not the Pulsar core I originally put a down payment on. But life happens and I decided to go with the sightMark photon 4.6. So far it pretty cool around the house. Can't wait to take it out and shoot it play with it in the pitch black.

For those that have and use there's. If you have any tips or tricks please pm me.

Thanks again to Jason @ Outdoor Legacy gear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #2186
Avezorak
Ten Point
 
Avezorak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: South Brazos County and Freestone County
Default

13 down in 3 nights plus saw some cool critters we dont usually see in the daylight. Ill get videos up after I get home


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avezorak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #2187
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

22 down last weekend.
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #2188
Avezorak
Ten Point
 
Avezorak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: South Brazos County and Freestone County
Default

Holy smokes man! Nice!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avezorak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 01:05 AM   #2189
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Keaton, you are the MAN! That's awesome. Y'all definitely know how to get on some hogs. Great pics and congrats on the success.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 AM   #2190
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
Not the Pulsar core I originally put a down payment on. But life happens and I decided to go with the sightMark photon 4.6. So far it pretty cool around the house. Can't wait to take it out and shoot it play with it in the pitch black.

For those that have and use there's. If you have any tips or tricks please pm me.

Thanks again to Jason @ Outdoor Legacy gear.
Thanks man I appreciate the business and I know you are going to love the Photon. Get out there and bust some hogs and post some pics.
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #2191
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Haven't hunted corn fields yet, but I will alot this summer.

In standing corn, can you still pick up hogs in the middle with a good thermal?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 07:13 PM   #2192
Buckwheat
Pope & Young
 
Buckwheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Clifton,Tx
Hunt In: Bosque County
Default

Got the photon dialed in on the 7.62x39.
Three shots low center. Adjusted per instructions. Next three were about 1" high at 100. Just where I want it. Three shot groups in all the small diamonds.

My 6 yr old son got in on the action also. Had him do his shooting @ 50 yards.
He is itching to shoot a pig.

Real impressed with this scope so far. Easy to operate and learn. Fun to use. Can't wait to use it at night on something. I don't care if its rabbits. Lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #2193
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point
 
Outdoor Legacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Appleby, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma
Default

Great shooting Adam, I love to pics and great job on getting the young ones out there shooting at well. I appreciate the business and I'm ready to see some pics of dead hogs!
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #2194
Avezorak
Ten Point
 
Avezorak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: College Station, TX
Hunt In: South Brazos County and Freestone County
Default



Smoked this big sucker on my buddies place in Freestone Co last night. He went down hard with Winchester 150 gr Deer Season 300 BO ammo. Both shots exited. Thinking that may be my new favorite ammo.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avezorak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #2195
Jethro
Ten Point
 
Jethro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Collingsworth County
Hunt In: Quail, Marilla
Default

So has anyone used one of these bulbs in a Wicked Lights W402ZF as an IR illuminator? I have ran this light for a couple years as a red/green/white light and have been very impressed with it. I am thinking that for just a $30 add on to that light, it would make a really strong NV illuminator. I ordered one today anyways, I figure a guy can't go too wrong for $30. I should have me a Photon 6.5 here in about 2-4 weeks or so.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/wick...t-led-w402led/
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #2196
Lawhorn
Ten Point
 
Lawhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: S.Texas
Hunt In: S.Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
So has anyone used one of these bulbs in a Wicked Lights W402ZF as an IR illuminator? I have ran this light for a couple years as a red/green/white light and have been very impressed with it. I am thinking that for just a $30 add on to that light, it would make a really strong NV illuminator. I ordered one today anyways, I figure a guy can't go too wrong for $30. I should have me a Photon 6.5 here in about 2-4 weeks or so.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/wick...t-led-w402led/


I've used the Sniper IR illuminator and it works great. Very strong illuminator. I run an ATN XSight II and the Sniper is almost twice as strong.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #2197
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Went out Wednesday night to use my new Zeus 640 75mm HD and got on one sounder. We didn't leave the house till 10:30 and I lollygagged around trying to learn how to take some better night photos with my new camera so by the time we were done with that it was 1:30. We both had work the next day so we quit then.
Managed to take out 10 of the 12 in the sounder. I'm an idiot and didn't think I would need my DVR since I was in a rush and thought that since the hogs were so close to the trees we'd only get a few shots off. Well..we took out the two bigger pigs first and the rest had no clue what to do. All ran right towards us and would just kinda run around some and stop. Made it nice and easy to pick them off. Even got a twofer while they were running. Two piglets lined up perfect and the bullet went through the first ones neck and through the hips of the one behind it..of course I didn't have my DVR for that..

Anyway. Trying to learn how to do long exposure photos..the photography stuff is complicated.
Mad I moved a little during this shot but it's hard to sit still for 30 seconds with pterodactyl size mosquitoes eating you alive.





keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #2198
hog_down
Four Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Default

awesome pics...
hog_down is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #2199
TeamAmerica
Six Point
 
TeamAmerica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)
Default

how did you get the pigs to lay so still for that long camera shot
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #2200
keatonskidmore
Ten Point
 
keatonskidmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Graham, Texas
Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
how did you get the pigs to lay so still for that long camera shot
Helps when you make their eyeballs, brain matter, and intestines hang out! lol
keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com