Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #2151
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton County, Texas

Went last night for a quick run through some recently harvested fields and took out 3 more hogs.

keatonskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #2152
Outback77
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited

Nice!
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #2153
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

Awesome, great looking setup and nice hog! What mount and tripod are you using?

I've got an off brand pro tripod, like a Manfrotto, but it's HEAVY! I compared the weight to the popular Manfrottos and it's nearly identical. No way I could tote that thing around, I do too much walking and stalking. I'm considering something lighter.

I also can't decide whether to get a pig saddle or a Reaper grip. Looks like you are using something else?
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #2154
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post

I've got an off brand pro tripod, like a Manfrotto, but it's HEAVY! I compared the weight to the popular Manfrottos and it's nearly identical. No way I could tote that thing around, I do too much walking and stalking. I'm considering something lighter.

I also can't decide whether to get a pig saddle or a Reaper grip. Looks like you are using something else?
Lol that's actually my Primos trigger sticks tripod. To me its the best choice for maneuverability and stability. It's light enough to carry and quickly set up and still stable to shoot from. Not as stable as a reaper though. My SBR blackout is just very well balanced so its able to balance on it like that for a photo

I'm thinking of ordering the reaper grip and the tripod they sell. Might even just get the head part and put it on the trigger sticks.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #2155
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Quote:

https://www.magpul.com/products/fire...tripod-adapter

There is also this option
Old 05-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #2156
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Well I ordered a reaper grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #2157
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

The REAPER rest is too expensive for me...and I walk a good bit and it is too bulky and heavy for me.

Primos bipod is what I like. My 2 good buddies in the group have a reaper rest and love them
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #2158
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
The REAPER rest is too expensive for me...and I walk a good bit and it is too bulky and heavy for me.

Primos bipod is what I like. My 2 good buddies in the group have a reaper rest and love them
Yeah I've got the primos monopod, bipod, and tripod. I like the tripod the best but wanted something more stable so I got the reaper. I'll mainly use it for long range shooting and predator hunting but occasionally hog hunting if it doesn't turn out being too much of a hassle to carry. Thats why I still have the tripod trigger sticks though. If I feel like it's going to be a bit of a walk I'll take them.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 AM   #2159
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Thanks for all the info. I'm really not sure what to get but there is no way I can lug around a big heavy tripod like my off brand Manfrotto. Tonight is a good example. I spotted a hog off my back porch down in the pasture at about 350+ yards near the creek. I grabbed my rifle and a monopod and took off through the 3 ft tall wet grass fighting it the whole way. I couldn't walk straight down to him so I ended up walking a good 450+ yards to get down there. 0% chance I could have lugged a huge tripod and I stopped 5-6 times to see if I could get a shot at him off the monopod but I couldn't because of the grass, but that is a whole other story for another time.lol

I guess I'm definitely going to have to do some more research and see what the best lightweight option will be for me. I do admit, it would be nice to have a grip sturdy enough that it would hold my rifle if I did decide to mount it on my big pro tripod.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #2160
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I'm really not sure what to get but there is no way I can lug around a big heavy tripod like my off brand Manfrotto. Tonight is a good example. I spotted a hog off my back porch down in the pasture at about 350+ yards near the creek. I grabbed my rifle and a monopod and took off through the 3 ft tall wet grass fighting it the whole way. I couldn't walk straight down to him so I ended up walking a good 450+ yards to get down there. 0% chance I could have lugged a huge tripod and I stopped 5-6 times to see if I could get a shot at him off the monopod but I couldn't because of the grass, but that is a whole other story for another time.lol

I guess I'm definitely going to have to do some more research and see what the best lightweight option will be for me. I do admit, it would be nice to have a grip sturdy enough that it would hold my rifle if I did decide to mount it on my big pro tripod.
Yes exactly my thoughts. Why I love my primos bipod. Got it on sale for $65.

No way I am spending $350-400 for the REAPER setup and carrying a super heavy setup when we stalk up close to them like you
Old 05-23-2017, 10:43 PM   #2161
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Quote:

I'm out tonight using my reaper and SLIK tripod. Weighs about 8 pounds total so it's not too bad. If you leave the gun in it and fold it down then fold the legs up you can carry it all together pretty easy. But if I have to walk much or through heavy stuff I take my tripod trigger sticks.

Works amazing though!
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #2162
gingib
Pope & Young

The 1st pic is legit!

You need to get a DLSR camera and take long exposure night shots. The best pics you will ever see
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM   #2163
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Quote:
The 1st pic is legit!

You need to get a DLSR camera and take long exposure night shots. The best pics you will ever see
Yeah I've been tossing the idea around about getting a D5600 or something to get some better photos.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #2164
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

In addition to the dog I got last night we also took out two spotted boars. One being a good size boar with lots of character, like split ears and several large scars on his back and sides.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #2165
gingib
Pope & Young

that last pic is a HOSS....fighting sob
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #2166
keatonskidmore
Ten Point

Quote:
that last pic is a HOSS....fighting sob

Yes sir he had lots of scars on him and both ears pretty tore up. You could tell he was pretty old. I'm not sure how to go about aging pigs though.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #2167
Avezorak
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Brazos County and Freestone County

Quote:
I have the REAP IR and have the UNV DVR setup. Once used to it, its not a big deal. The quality is good, but not exactly what you see thru the eyepiece.

I have taken 15-20 videos of kills over the last 3 months.

Like he said, the options are extremely limited and this was the best option IMO.

The price of the REAP went up to $8k and now includes more of the DVR stuff for "free"

Thanks guys. Picked up my UNV DVR and cable today and its charging now. Hoping I can figure out how to get everything set up so I can record my hunts this weekend. Ill post up if I do any good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avezorak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 12:26 AM   #2168
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Great photos Keaton, those are awesome!

I checked out my pro tripod with the ball head and it weighs 8.3lbs with no rifle grip. It's just too much weight for the type of spot and stalk hunting I'm doing. I'm really interested in the Trigger Sticks just because of the weight and quick/quiet deployment. Would I be able to mount another rifle grip on it like the REAPER, Hog Saddle, M-Lok etc? If so, do you think the Trigger Sticks would hold an AR up in a horizontal position with one of those grips attached?

You seem to have used a lot of these options so I'd prefer to buy once than buy 3 times trying to make something work. Thanks