Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #51
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR View Post
As a land owner there is no way it's happening on my place. If your looking to control your hog population there are MUCH more efficient and productive methods. Not a fan of hog dogging what so ever.
Bingo!!
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #52
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
Shane I don't even think you would even get to shoot the baby yearlings anymore!! Hahaha
Dangit! Looks like skunk soup for me than!
Birddog66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #53
skelsey
Four Point

No way in hell I would be on a lease where this is allowed! I don't know where you guys are hunting maybe hill country but up here in the panhandle you ain't going to see a deer with that going on.There is a reason they get big and smart up here.
skelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #54
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

I did it for years outside of Fairfield. We hunted hogs hard from February to about August. It had zero affect on the deer herd or the hunting. We did catch loads of hogs. Now we did have good dogs that would not chase a deer. So I guess the answer depends on how good the hog hunters are.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #55
demtx
Six Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells, McMullen

Hmmm...a bunch of barking dogs and people stomping around not to mention the ruckus when they catch one, nahh..shouldn't bother the deer.
demtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #56
RogueSamurai
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere I can.

Few things:

Your land owner is in breach of contract but if its not an issue for you, I wouldn't worry about it. It does highlight the point of having an actual signed Lease, though. If this were, say a rent house, he couldn't let others come stay in the house that you were paying for. Why do hunters get to do basically the same thing?

However, Hog dogging out of season won't bother your deer. I've been with hog dogs that ran within yards of deer. They will scatter for a short while but they will come back. Most deer these days are used to vehicles, planes, tractors etc etc. They are used to human activity. So they aren't going to scatter for miles.

You DO need to make sure that the hog doggers arent planning on hunting during season. You don't want to be in the blind and have a pack of dogs go by chasing a hog. This is really just a respect thing and pretty basic communication. Shouldn't be an issue.

Hog dogging will help get rid of hogs...NOT necessarily because of the hogs that they catch, simply because hogs will leave an area if they are under a lot of pressure/harassment, if they have other options. Hog dogging once in a while won't do it though, it has to be constant. Also, they will eventually be back. It never ends.

If the hogs are coming to your feeders and they are using your feeders to strike hogs, a very common practice by the way, simply turn the feeders off.

Last edited by RogueSamurai; 04-04-2017 at 02:43 PM..
RogueSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #57
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee
Default Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

Lol we and other people kill 160's dang near every year on places that get dogged a lot at times in the spring in summer. And this is in east Texas on big and really small places. It won't really effect anything, now. We generally hunt from the end of deer season through the spring and a little in the fall before deer season. I've seen hogs screw up deer hunting way worse than dogs. We have the real deal dogs that can clean out properties and places. We get deer leases call us right before season begging us to come run the hogs out.

I personally have multiple places that I dog that I move the hogs out before deer season and have a really nice season with hardly any pressure from them.

The one and only time I could see a gripe for disturbing the deer is if someone is dog hunting during deer season. But that's it and generally no one hunts their dogs during deer season.

Best place I know of in east Texas has been dogged for 40 years and they've killed multiple 200" deer low fence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tshelly; 04-05-2017 at 07:23 AM..
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #58
tom125446
Six Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Just my recent experience:

Two months ago, I had hogs and deer showing up (more deer than hogs) at my lease. Then, I started seeing dogs on one trail camera this month. Since the dogs showed up, I no deer on that camera. The hogs are still regulars.

However, I suspect these are strays and not hog dogs. I will say that I was quite angry when I saw pics of dogs at my feeder. I love dogs, but I don't want them near my setups. To me, added pressure is added pressure. Funny thing is, I don't even care about the deer, I don't want the dogs chasing off my hogs!
tom125446 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 AM   #59
RogueSamurai
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
Best place I know of in east Texas has been dogged for 40 years and they've killed multiple 200" deer low fence

.................east Texas, you say?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #60
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtx View Post
Hmmm...a bunch of barking dogs and people stomping around not to mention the ruckus when they catch one, nahh..shouldn't bother the deer.
yep!!!i like shooting big bucks not spikes...
Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #61
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSamurai View Post
Few things:

Your land owner is in breach of contract but if its not an issue for you, I wouldn't worry about it. It does highlight the point of having an actual signed Lease, though. If this were, say a rent house, he couldn't let others come stay in the house that you were paying for. Why do hunters get to do basically the same thing?

However, Hog dogging out of season won't bother your deer. I've been with hog dogs that ran within yards of deer. They will scatter for a short while but they will come back. Most deer these days are used to vehicles, planes, tractors etc etc. They are used to human activity. So they aren't going to scatter for miles.

You DO need to make sure that the hog doggers arent planning on hunting during season. You don't want to be in the blind and have a pack of dogs go by chasing a hog. This is really just a respect thing and pretty basic communication. Shouldn't be an issue.

Hog dogging will help get rid of hogs...NOT necessarily because of the hogs that they catch, simply because hogs will leave an area if they are under a lot of pressure/harassment, if they have other options. Hog dogging once in a while won't do it though, it has to be constant. Also, they will eventually be back. It never ends.

If the hogs are coming to your feeders and they are using your feeders to strike hogs, a very common practice by the way, simply turn the feeders off.
The big bucks will leave too. I promise...lol....
Old 04-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #62
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Either way you are a sucker if u pay 2K for a bow only lease without a signed lease contract from the landowner and he now wants to give the hog doggers free reign to come chase hogs on any given day....like I said sucker! But I'm not on this lease...just a couple of my buddies
Old 04-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #63
scotty
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Encinal Texas, Hare, Texas
Default Hog dogging affect on deer hunting?

As long as the hog doggers push the deer to the west, I don't see a problem....
Needless to say, we're not happy either.
They ran them on our place the last weekend of the season!
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #64
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

West towards your place. Haha....
Old 04-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #65
scotty
Pope & Young

Quote:
West towards your place. Haha....

Old 04-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #66
JeffK
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
Lol we and other people kill 160's dang near every year on places that get dogged a lot at times in the spring in summer. And this is in east Texas on big and really small places. It won't really effect anything, now. We generally hunt from the end of deer season through the spring and a little in the fall before deer season. I've seen hogs screw up deer hunting way worse than dogs. We have the real deal dogs that can clean out properties and places. We get deer leases call us right before season begging us to come run the hogs out.

I personally have multiple places that I dog that I move the hogs out before deer season and have a really nice season with hardly any pressure from them.

The one and only time I could see a gripe for disturbing the deer is if someone is dog hunting during deer season. But that's it and generally no one hunts their dogs during deer season.

I agree 100%. Having a pack of hogs coming to a feeder daily or just every night will put more pressure on deer or cause deer to move to a different feed source than running dogs a couple times a month during the offseason. I see a lot more deer at my feeders and food plots when the hogs aren't visiting them.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #67
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
As long as the hog doggers push the deer to the west, I don't see a problem....
Needless to say, we're not happy either.
They ran them on our place the last weekend of the season!
Haha!
Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #68
scotty
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
Haha!

We need to schedule another happy hour at Ed's to discuss the situation!
Old 04-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #69
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

We/I ran dogs on my place and neighbors places for years real hard from Jan thru March and occasionally other times. Never before or during season.

When your covered in hogs if landowners really care they will let you.....assuming your good people and they know you.

WOULD I LET OTHER PEOPLE BESIDES MY BUDDIES RUN MY PLACE: HELL NO!!!!

Because too many weird people nowadays
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #70
RogueSamurai
Ten Point

Quote:
The big bucks will leave too. I promise...lol....
I've seen quite the opposite to be true. They don't leave, they just stay nocturnal. My dad was asked by some deer hunters to run his dogs once during deer season, something that he never did but he made an exception this time, in an attempt to get game animals moving.

Mind you, he was NOT chasing deer, he was hunting hogs but this ranch was so big and fairly remote that the ruckus caused by the vehicles and hog dogs was enough to get animals moving.

Big/old bucks arent going to run for miles just because of a vehicle/dog/hunters though.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #71
lsoutdoorstx
Four Point

IMO it has some type of affect on Deer Hunting but to what magnitude I don't know.
lsoutdoorstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #72
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
We need to schedule another happy hour at Ed's to discuss the situation!
I'm down!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #73
RACK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare Texas ,Rocksprings,Midwest, and Mother Ocean

This is hysterical !
Whats been posted ..
All Hog Doggers ... best thing in the world for a 30 deer average Mld working ranch ,small acerage, Bowhunting only lease, little to no cover , high preasured deer as is ( without hog dogs )that is far from the hill country !
Hang on ... wait for it ... wait for it ... .

Am I the only BOWHUNTER on here or what ?
You know pattern a buck , slip in only from time to time when everything is perfect just to check a cam . Never leave a single sign (scent) while doing so to keep that trouphy buck at peace and not alarm him , then Wait for the perfect wind , the perfect day to slip 1 arrow in him ?

I will say it again ... the worst thing a small acreage trouphy bowhunting only deer lease can do is run dogs on it !
Period !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
RACK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #74
TXDUCKCUTTER
Four Point

Hunt In: Sonora/Groveton

I'd find it hard to believe that running dogs through the same area for long periods of time wouldn't have an affect on the localized deer in said area.To me it just depends on how its spread around the Lease, and how often in one area.If "Uncle Toms" feeder is the "Hog Haven" surely it would have a affect if it was continuous..
TXDUCKCUTTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #75
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany,TX / Viejo Mexico

Your landowner should find an experienced hog trapper (the commercial guys who trap them and sell them). The commercial guys usually set multiple trap locations, and they often run their traps several times a night to remove multiple groups of pigs.

This, or a helicopter, is the most effective way to control your hog population. The problem w/ the helicopter is it is expensive, and I wouldn't really want a chopper low buzzing my place more than a few times/year.

For hog dogging to really control a large hog population, they will have to be on your place all the time.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #76
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

Hog dogs, and coon dogs for that matter, are HORRIBLE on the land. I don't care what the doggers say about their dogs don't chase deer, blah blah, it's all bull crap. You send a pack of bellowing dogs through any woods and the deer will leave. Maybe not all of them but the majority will. I've seen it, in person, over and over again.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #77
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
Hog dogs, and coon dogs for that matter, are HORRIBLE on the land. I don't care what the doggers say about their dogs don't chase deer, blah blah, it's all bull crap. You send a pack of bellowing dogs through any woods and the deer will leave. Maybe not all of them but the majority will. I've seen it, in person, over and over again.

Lol

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #78
cantexduck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over central Texas

I bet I know who is running on your place. Call and go with him , if there aren't many hogs around the time they spend there is about to stop. By the way you are describing the place I question why you are even paying to hunt there.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #79
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
I bet I know who is running on your place. Call and go with him , if there aren't many hogs around the time they spend there is about to stop. By the way you are describing the place I question why you are even paying to hunt there.
Mike the place is next door to mine.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #80
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
Last year was my first year on the place and my 2 big +'s were -

1) Location- it's close to my home and work. This allows me to mix hunting w/ working on certain days.
2) The potential for shooting a decent buck. Some good deer in the general area.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #81
JeffK
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
Last year was my first year on the place and my 2 big +'s were -

1) Location- it's close to my home and work. This allows me to mix hunting w/ working on certain days.
2) The potential for shooting a decent buck. Some good deer in the general area.
Sounds like a good place and not worth raising a stir. I would think it would be best to work with the farmer and landowner. You may ask the farmer and landowner if the hog dogs can stay out during deer season. I will take dogs hunting once in awhile on our place and it does not run deer out like some claim. I doubt those people have any experience with it but just an opinion. Maybe my place is an exception, but I see the same bucks year after year and harvest some mature ones for our area. The worst thing to me is having a pack of hogs settle in on your feed or bedding area right before or during bow season.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #82
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montec man View Post
Mike the place is next door to mine.
If that's the case I'd spend a pretty penny to hunt there
I would have a problem with the dogs running around though.
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #83
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
The deer running from dogs and the dogs chasing them is 2 diff things. Nice comparison though

Deer will run from guys walking thru the woods
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #84
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
The deer running from dogs and the dogs chasing them is 2 diff things. Nice comparison though

Deer will run from guys walking thru the woods
Coming from a guy that's comparing guys walking through the woods to a pack of baying dogs running through the woods. lol
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #85
HNT ETX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

We have hog doggers on one of the places i hunt, and it does not run the deer off, it just moves them around making them hard to pattern and wirey. I don't need any extra challenge.

I would be just fine with that if the use of hog dogs was actually a tool with any affect on the hogs. But it is merely another form of hunting and I personally don't care for the extra activity in an area I am trying to deer hunt. In order to keep the peace I do not say a word as long as they stop prior to deer season. But if i had my preference they would not be allowed on our place. I have a feeder I would love to feed to bowhunt hogs in the off season, but ive tried that before and the hog hunters came straight to my feeder every morning. The hogs went nocturnal which meant i was simply feeding hogs for them to have a place to start. no thanks.

They have ZERO POINT ZERO affect on the hog population, no reason for them to be there unless you are just being kind.
HNT ETX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #86
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

3k acres we run dogs all the time. The hogs move out for a little while then come back.
I go and watch for the fun as far as the dogs not tracking I call BS I have watched hogs come across the right of ways and then the dogs come on the same trail. I have had hogs run 5 plus miles to get away.
As far as deer it has no effect on them.
I welcome dog runners as long as I know how the dogs are.
17 hogs run down in one week that's 2 days aint bad.
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top