Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County
Default Facebook Live

Im interested to hear others thoughts on what responsibilities Facebook has if any regarding their new Facebook Live features in terms of content.

Rape, Murder, Torture, Beheadings, Assaults, etc....... have all been broadcasted using Facebook live. Being that it is live and there is no delay or wait for approval like youtube its going to be hard for them to police, but like TBH shouldn't their be some form of moderation?
J Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

For the record, the FB Live killer actually wasn't "live" when doing the shooting. He filmed his rant and shooting and after shooting rant, then uploaded to FB.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
qWuARk556
Four Point

My solution. Apps like FB Live should include a cost. This cost is simple. If a user utilizes these apps their location data is recorded continuously during and for 72 hours following their broadcast. This will remove some of the annonymity and aid LE in locating the criminal minority.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
qWuARk556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Nope...........slippery slope at best! As the sheriff of Cleveland noted, hopefully folks learned something about the negative power social media can have on a society.
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
J Sweet
Pope & Young

An example, if someone were to produce child **** and then give it to NBC and NBC aired the footage live, without checking it first they would be held responsible and liable by the FCC. Why isn't Facebook held responsible for doing the same?
Old 04-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Nope...........slippery slope at best! As the sheriff of Cleveland noted, hopefully folks learned something about the negative power social media can have on a society.
Oh come on Oscar! We could just put a locator chip in everyone, so LE can locate anyone doing something illegal.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
Oh come on Oscar! We could just put a locator chip in everyone, so LE can locate anyone doing something illegal.
Lordy knows that is coming sooner or later........scary stuff right there!!!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
An example, if someone were to produce child **** and then give it to NBC and NBC aired the footage live, without checking it first they would be held responsible and liable by the FCC. Why isn't Facebook held responsible for doing the same?
I wont deny that is a strong point. FCC does not regulate the internet but be careful what we ask for. The gubment aint the answer!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
What do you thing is a slippery slope? We already have laws regarding liability of broadcasted materials in the US. Why is facebook held to a different standard than radio, TV, Hollywood, etc.....?

NVM, see you answered while I was typing lol.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'm not sure how much the FCC is involved in social media, but I for one, am not in favor of any more government over watch.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
Neck
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Quote:
I believe Congress passed a law way back when they can regulate the frequencies/airwaves. I don't think you want the feds doing the same on the internet.
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #12
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Yes there should be some form of moderation, but I don't know what that looks like or how it would function. FB has 1.86 BILLION users, TBH 70,000 and only a few thousand actually post on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qWuARk556 View Post
My solution. Apps like FB Live should include a cost. This cost is simple. If a user utilizes these apps their location data is recorded continuously during and for 72 hours following their broadcast. This will remove some of the annonymity and aid LE in locating the criminal minority.

That's well and good, but I can shut my phone off and how will my location be tracked?
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
I wont deny that is a strong point. FCC does not regulate the internet but be careful what we ask for. The gubment aint the answer!
I hate the government more than the average bear and that's after working for it for some years, believe me I don't want more of it. With that said I don't think Facebook should be allowed to make billions of dollars off a platform and not be held liable for its content if illegal and not taking proper precautions.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #14
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
I believe Congress passed a law way back when they can regulate the frequencies/airwaves. I don't think you want the feds doing the same on the internet.
I do in regards to people being raped, murdered or tortured and it being broadcasted live.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
qWuARk556
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Yes there should be some form of moderation, but I don't know what that looks like or how it would function. FB has 1.86 BILLION users, TBH 70,000 and only a few thousand actually post on a regular basis.

That's well and good, but I can shut my phone off and how will my location be tracked?
Your GPS can be programmed to remain on even if your phone is off. Also, manufacturers could be asked to install a small battery in the case when people remove their battery to shut the GPS off.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #16
qWuARk556
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neck View Post
Agreed. The last thing I want is to give the fed more power. Overreach is already all to common. But, I am a proponent of choice and with choice come accountability and consequence.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #17
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Your GPS can be programmed to remain on even if your phone is off. Also, manufacturers could be asked to install a small battery in the case when people remove their battery to shut the GPS off.

Quote:
Agreed. The last thing I want is to give the fed more power. Overreach is already all to common. But, I am a proponent of choice and with choice come accountability and consequence.

Your statements are not congruent.

I realize those capabilities exist. Hypothetically if I commit a crime and publish on social media my devices are going in a lake somewhere.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #18
Landrover
Pope & Young

Lightbulb

Quote:
I hate the government more than the average bear and that's after working for it for some years, believe me I don't want more of it. With that said I don't think Facebook should be allowed to make billions of dollars off a platform and not be held liable for its content if illegal and not taking proper precautions.
The answer exists but doubt by anyone on TBH.......definitely not me. I am definitely not giving up ANY more LIBERTY for perceived safety......seen that BS before with the Patriot Act! With this event being HOT at the moment I understand and agree with your concern. But remember, this is when the gubment decides to strike........when emotions are raw. Just a thought as my prayers for healing go out to a family and a nation that had to deal with such a idiot.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #19
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:

I realize those capabilities exist. Hypothetically if I commit a crime and publish on social media my devices are going in a lake somewhere.
That's why they should just chip ya.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #20
LFD2037
Ten Point

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
The answer exists but doubt by anyone on TBH.......definitely not me. I am definitely not giving up ANY more LIBERTY for perceived safety......seen that BS before with the Patriot Act! With this event being HOT at the moment I understand and agree with your concern. But remember, this is when the gubment decides to strike........when emotions are raw. Just a thought as my prayers for healing go out to a family and a nation that had to deal with such a idiot.

I don't have FB & am stronhly against it but I don't want the government stepping in. I want the owner of it to do the right thing.

He won't.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #21
Landrover
Pope & Young

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post

I don't have FB & am stronhly against it but I don't want the government stepping in. I want the owner of it to do the right thing.

He won't.
FOX just discussed just that! They did confirm that Mark Zuckerberg had hired hundreds of people over the last few years just to monitor content/activity. "Obviously they could have taken content down faster but by it getting by the monitors it assisted LEO as so many people responded with leads and info!"
"Double edged sword", per the FOX host.........tough deal all around honestly!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #22
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD2037 View Post

He won't.
I've changed my position after thinking about it. I think by doing nothing Facebook IS doing the right thing. Millions of videos are broadcast daily and a handful of illegal situations, well violent illegal situations have been published.

Regulation won't stop folks from killing and raping, but it may prevent the crucial evidence of being recorded on servers that can be subpoenaed.

It's similar to calling for stricter gun laws when high profile shootings occur
Old 04-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #23
qWuARk556
Four Point

Quote:

They are quite congruent. Read again please.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #24
Neck
Ten Point

Hunt In: DeWitt County

Quote:
I've changed my position after thinking about it. I think by doing nothing Facebook IS doing the right thing. Millions of videos are broadcast daily and a handful of illegal situations, well violent illegal situations have been published.

Regulation won't stop folks from killing and raping, but it may prevent the crucial evidence of being recorded on servers that can be subpoenaed.

Neck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #25
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
They are quite congruent. Read again please.

Ok I read it again and they still are not congruent.

suggesting private business be asked to install special batteries so that the gift can keep tabs of its citizens while in the same breath stating you are for less fed encroachment isn't just incongruent, it's contradictory
Old 04-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #26
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Quote:

My position is that there is no need for new laws. These laws already exist, why is FB not held to the same standard as everyone else?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #27
Fishcat91
Six Point

Hunt In: Secret Spot

Quote:

Asking for more tracking and recording just sounds ludicrous to me. It will not stop people from doing it. They would just dump the phone and be gone. Only people that would affect is the good honest folks and why do we need more tracking devises connected to us?

That's like Obama and the libs thinking that gun control will stop shootings...... if they want to do it they will always find a way around.....
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #28
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
My position is that there is no need for new laws. These laws already exist, why is FB not held to the same standard as everyone else?
Because the FCC has nothing to do with the internet, and they shouldn't.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #29
qWuARk556
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcat91 View Post
Asking for more tracking and recording just sounds ludicrous to me. It will not stop people from doing it. They would just dump the phone and be gone. Only people that would affect is the good honest folks and why do we need more tracking devises connected to us?

That's like Obama and the libs thinking that gun control will stop shootings...... if they want to do it they will always find a way around.....
Really... likening guns to phones... sounds like a liberal in disguise. I agree, most people arent engaging in this activity. But, most dont read the user agreement either. I have no problem with tracking and sharing the info with LE. Also, we all remember Pokemon Go. Tracking was essential and the parent company was a CIA front. No one even cared.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #30
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County

As far as social media goes, I think those horses have already bolted from the stable and there is really no point in shutting the door now. If you take FB live down, I'm sure something else will be right there to take it's spot, if it isn't already. More moderators to police the site? Sure, it will get it taken down quicker, but wont keep it from happening. FB didn't kill this innocent man, nor did the gun he used, nor did the car he was driving or the girl that dumped him. It was another crazy person with zero conscience.
Birddog66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #31
qWuARk556
Four Point

Quote:
Ok I read it again and they still are not congruent.

suggesting private business be asked to install special batteries so that the gift can keep tabs of its citizens while in the same breath stating you are for less fed encroachment isn't just incongruent, it's contradictory
I never said anything about required reporting to feds. I said record the information and share as needed. The battery thing... yea, not a well considered comment. Feds would inevitably be involved in enforcement.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #32
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
As far as social media goes, I think those horses have already bolted from the stable and there is really no point in shutting the door now. If you take FB live down, I'm sure something else will be right there to take it's spot, if it isn't already. More moderators to police the site? Sure, it will get it taken down quicker, but wont keep it from happening. FB didn't kill this innocent man, nor did the gun he used, nor did the car he was driving or the girl that dumped him. It was another crazy person with zero conscience.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #33
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:
I never said anything about required reporting to feds. I said record the information and share as needed. The battery thing... yea, not a well considered comment. Feds would inevitably be involved in enforcement.

Who do you think is going to compel private businesses to install 2nd batteries, the battery fairy? That's federal government encroachment
Old 04-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #34
qWuARk556
Four Point

Quote:
Who do you think is going to compel private businesses to install 2nd batteries, the battery fairy? That's federal government encroachment
You really have reading comprehension issues friend.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #35
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:

I was typing the same thing...in this post.... right ...here...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #36
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:

Honestly, I don't think you even comprehend what you type.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #37
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
^^^ This.
LWC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #38
Playa
Pope & Young

Quote:

Alright, so explain it to me like I am a 3rd grader.

You want someone to ask phone manufacturers to add a 2nd tamper proof battery to phones. Who do you want to ask phone manufacturers to do this?
Old 04-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #39
qWuARk556
Four Point

Quote:
Alright, so explain it to me like I am a 3rd grader.

You want someone to ask phone manufacturers to add a 2nd tamper proof battery to phones. Who do you want to ask phone manufacturers to do this?
Excellent question. Id rather the most powerful entity in the world address this issue with manufacturers: the consumer. We have the power to shutter companies and sway global prices. But, we rarely exercise this power.

My wishlist item: to have smart phones and social media age limited. For some reason we allow teenagers the power to create child **** and influence others to suicide, murder while simultaneously restricting their alcohol consumption, tobacco use, and not allowing them to vote. Pretty ignorant.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:26 PM   #40
iamntxhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
X2

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
iamntxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #41
Fishcat91
Six Point

Hunt In: Secret Spot

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think you even comprehend what you type.
Hahaha
Fishcat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #42
BoneDigger
Pope & Young

The concept is simple: You tell people what is appropriate usage of the service and then you police this policy through a reporting process. Similar to TBH, if you see an infraction, report it and they will review whether to remove it or not. Given the number of FB users, there is no way they can review every submission as it is occuring. Even now, if some guy wants to post a picture of his wanker, it'll be there until someone reports it.

As for a delay, well then it ain't live now is it?

I am not for anyone tracking my activities any more than they already have the capability to do already. Not sure why anybody would advocate adding more tracking options???

As someone else noted, guns don't kill people and FB Live doesn't kill people: people kill people.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
BoneDigger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #43
Ironman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
The concept is simple: You tell people what is appropriate usage of the service and then you police this policy through a reporting process. Similar to TBH, if you see an infraction, report it and they will review whether to remove it or not. Given the number of FB users, there is no way they can review every submission as it is occuring. Even now, if some guy wants to post a picture of his wanker, it'll be there until someone reports it.

I am not for anyone tracking my activities any more than they already have the capability to do already. Not sure why anybody would advocate adding more tracking options???

As someone else noted, guns don't kill people and FB Live doesn't kill people: people kill people.

Agreed. It is that simple.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #44
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Agreed. It is that simple.
x3
Old 04-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #45
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post

Reported.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #46
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
Reported.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #47
BoneDigger