No announcement yet.

Steel Building Questions - Getting Ready to Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided on 30x50x14 with 3 12x12 and one walk through door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure you have a big door on opposite ends to get air to flow through. My 60x40 will be a sweat box with only one door open.

Comment

2 of the 12x12's are across from each other and it's insulated to help a bit.

Comment

keep posting pictures

Comment

Very nice Ed, looks like it is coming along. The house, now the shop, all you need is a Big Ole Pond full of fish

Comment

We have tall (probably 14') roll-up doors at our warehouse at work. The main advantage of the roll-up door is they don't take up any extra space when open. So you have that extra ceiling area where you can install lights, space heaters, skylights, etc without it being blocked by the open door. The disadvantages are that they are not insulated and they are NOISY when it's windy in the closed position. To the point where it can be hard to carry on a conversation if you're standing close to one. They "rattle" in the track on a windy day. For our purposes, I'm glad we went with the roll-ups, but they are not without their drawbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx-Burt View Post
                Very nice Ed, looks like it is coming along. The house, now the shop, all you need is a Big Ole Pond full of fish

The pond is on my sisters place next to ours. I stocked it with Kid's Unlimited catfish a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                  We have tall (probably 14') roll-up doors at our warehouse at work. The main advantage of the roll-up door is they don't take up any extra space when open. So you have that extra ceiling area where you can install lights, space heaters, skylights, etc without it being blocked by the open door. The disadvantages are that they are not insulated and they are NOISY when it's windy in the closed position. To the point where it can be hard to carry on a conversation if you're standing close to one. They "rattle" in the track on a windy day. For our purposes, I'm glad we went with the roll-ups, but they are not without their drawbacks.

I ended up going with roll-ups. Wanted the maximum size building and didn't want to spend any more money right now.

Comment

I ended up going with roll-ups. I wanted the maximum size and wasn't willing to spend any more money right now.

Comment

Not sure if it's too late, but I had to go with windstorm doors and the don't rattle at all.

Comment

At 23.30 a sq ft, did that include dirt work and site prep?

Also, is your foundation engineered with piers? How thick?

Comment

Hello all, I am new to this site but Sailor told me I should join. I am a regular on the Texas Hunting Forum and that is where i know Sailor from. I am a metal building builder, and I see some good information on this post. I personally tell a lot of my customers to put in a 14' door is they can, this will allow anything that will go down the highway legally to fit in your shop. Now obviously this depends on your needs, but most of us hunters have a huge variety of "stuff" that comes and goes from our shops. I have coil up doors (uninsulated) in my personal shop and don't have any issues with heat, but my shop is insulated. As far as the prices I see listed on here, I personally normally tell people to start at $18 a square foot for a basic building (complete with slab and erection) then everything else is options after that. Gutters/downspouts, insulation, doors, dirt work is site depending, sky lights, electric, and plumbing. Hope this helps out some.

Comment

Originally posted by Deep_sea View Post
                            Hello all, I am new to this site but Sailor told me I should join. I am a regular on the Texas Hunting Forum and that is where i know Sailor from. I am a metal building builder, and I see some good information on this post. I personally tell a lot of my customers to put in a 14' door is they can, this will allow anything that will go down the highway legally to fit in your shop. Now obviously this depends on your needs, but most of us hunters have a huge variety of "stuff" that comes and goes from our shops. I have coil up doors (uninsulated) in my personal shop and don't have any issues with heat, but my shop is insulated. As far as the prices I see listed on here, I personally normally tell people to start at $18 a square foot for a basic building (complete with slab and erection) then everything else is options after that. Gutters/downspouts, insulation, doors, dirt work is site depending, sky lights, electric, and plumbing. Hope this helps out some.

Where are you located? Do you build in the Hill Country? Specifically Spring Branch?

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                              Where are you located? Do you build in the Hill Country? Specifically Spring Branch?
                              Colin, I am based out of Bastrop but we travel all over. Bidding work in Dallas area, central TX, building a building near Waco in a few weeks, Austin after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Deep_sea View Post
                                Colin, I am based out of Bastrop but we travel all over. Bidding work in Dallas area, central TX, building a building near Waco in a few weeks, Austin after that.
                                Sounds good. I'm sending you a PM. Oh and Welcome to the Fire!

Comment

Working...
                                X