Outdoor Kitchen Components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Kitchen Components?

The boss just got her work anniversary bonus check, so now we are ready to start gathering stainless steel components for our outdoor kitchen. Looking for suggestions on very-good-but-economical 32"-40" LPG grill head, dual side burner, warming drawer, dual cabinet doors, dual or triple stacked accessory drawers. I already have a large, ceramic grill/smoker that I'll also build in....thinking about a small griddle as well.

I've looked @ Bull, Napoleon, & Blaze on Amazon and they have things that are in my price range with very good reviews. I'd like to hear some first-hand reviews and suggestions about others, and what not to buy. Maybe a TBH member is a distributor and has smokin' deals for other members.

I'm going to build the island frame out of 1.5"x1.5" square tubing, cover it with Hardie Backer and have my mason finish it out with the same stone that's on our house. Haven't quite decided on countertop material yet. I'd love to do it in the same polished stone that we did in the house, but cost is going to be a factor, I haven't ruled it out yet but I think I can do it in granite for near half the money.

ANY suggestions associated with this project will be appreciated.

FloGrills is what I went with and happy 3 years later. Ain’t cheap but not a Cadillac either

Comment

I used a similar concept but used structural steel that is pre cut but still able to make all custom. Check out www.bbqcoach.com

On the installation there is a layer of the poly decking to keep the metal off the concrete, I suggest you do something similar with a square tube construction.

Similar process with hardiebacker board and then I went with limestone, the pool now matches it too.

I'm building out another spot to match for my ice machine and raised bar.

You can see I went with a Big Green Egg and a back up propane. The gas grill and other SS are all SunStone out of Austin. I've only used the propane a hand full of times, and more often as a cook top for a big pan than anything. It doubles as storage.

Also went with a full size sink so a cookie sheet will fit in it to wash.

Plan for plenty of counter space, and storage too. I'd go with more than 1 drawer, now I'm adding one with the ice machine...

Good luck on your build, can't wait to see pictures!
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a Lion grill and it’s been installed for about 3 years with not issues. I built mine kitchen with 2x4’s since they are a lot easier to cut and work with. No issues with that either 3 years later. I covered it with the fire resistant backer board.

Comment

Also consider Coyote if looking at mid to upper level quality outdoor grills and accessories. I've been installing 34" and 36" grills for several years now with virtually no issues. They offer a full line of draws, counter top coolers, burners, and doors. Texas based company and parts are available unlike other grill company's I've dealt with. We grill 5 days a week and just now burned thru one of the lower heat plates after 4yrs. One call and had a replacement in 4 days.

Comment

I went with Blaze, but they are still boxed up in garage waiting on builder to finish inside of house....may never get there!

Comment

you can go light on the gas grill if you go heavy on the ceramic smoker! When I put my setup together, I told the BBQ sales guy that the gas grill would be a glorified bun warmer! Your components reflect your cooking style. If you like gas cooking, go heavy on the gas. If you enjoy the "make your own fire" style, then go heavy on your non-gas cooking setup! Also consider the weather factor, open air, covered area. Direction of the smoke in summer/winter. Good luck with your build!

Comment

If you don't go big on the griddle, you'll regret it... It is just so easy to cook a whole meal for a family all at once on the griddle... I haven't use my grill since I got mine, and have moved it to a side garage out of the way. My outdoor kitchen will also have a built in stainless dutch oven cook top too.

Comment

We went with a bull grill hooked direct to nat gas. I’ve been very pleased so far. We didn’t get a huge grill because I prefer to use my smoker if I can. I think mine is called the Lonestar.

If you can get a sink with running water you will be glad you did. It’s really nice for food prep and washing your hands without having to go back inside. Also added and outdoor fridge for beer, water, and drinks for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went with Lynx Professional 42" built in with infrared burner, a separate 2 burner cooktop and their doors/drawers. Great stuff but might exceed your budget. Have a full size refrigerator, single sink and under counter microwave. Wound up installing a vent hood to help with the smoke at times.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post

We went with a bull grill hooked direct to nat gas. I’ve been very pleased so far. We didn’t get a huge grill because I prefer to use my smoker if I can. I think mine is called the Lonestar.

If you can get a sink with running water you will be glad you did. It’s really nice for food prep and washing your hands without having to go back inside. Also added and outdoor fridge for beer, water, and drinks for the kids.

What material are your post made out of ? Really like your set up !

Comment

Originally posted by Bill's Unlimited View Post
                          I used a similar concept but used structural steel that is pre cut but still able to make all custom. Check out www.bbqcoach.com

On the installation there is a layer of the poly decking to keep the metal off the concrete, I suggest you do something similar with a square tube construction.

Similar process with hardiebacker board and then I went with limestone, the pool now matches it too.

I'm building out another spot to match for my ice machine and raised bar.

You can see I went with a Big Green Egg and a back up propane. The gas grill and other SS are all SunStone out of Austin. I've only used the propane a hand full of times, and more often as a cook top for a big pan than anything. It doubles as storage.

Also went with a full size sink so a cookie sheet will fit in it to wash.

Plan for plenty of counter space, and storage too. I'd go with more than 1 drawer, now I'm adding one with the ice machine...

Good luck on your build, can't wait to see pictures!

I had no idea there were kits to build DIY. It just screws together and the you add whatever sort of face you want?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            I had no idea there were kits to build DIY. It just screws together and the you add whatever sort of face you want?

Pretty close. There may be some cutting involved to fit your doors and accessories in. Then sheath in backer board and finish as you desire.
                            It’s a pretty slick system!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill's Unlimited View Post
                              Pretty close. There may be some cutting involved to fit your doors and accessories in. Then sheath in backer board and finish as you desire.
                              It’s a pretty slick system!

Thanks!

ordered a catalog for ideas. I'll be building something once we get rollin on limestone

Comment

Working...
                              X