180 yard shot with a 223 on Aoudad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

180 yard shot with a 223 on Aoudad

I am not a fan of the 223 in AR, bolt ect for deer size game. That's me though. Not a bad ram but I am still leary of that round for those big west Texas aoudads out at long distance.

Smith and Wessons Paul Pluff takes a giant Aoudad using an M&P 15 across a large canyon with one of the best shots we've seen in quite a long time as seen on...

I like the .223 a lot. Especially for predator huntin. I've heard good things about DRT ammunition but haven't had any experience with it.

Comment

It seems odd to me that they show about 1.5-2 seconds after the shot where the ram falls and don’t show any footage after that. They didn’t say it got back up but to me it looked like it might have. I could be wrong though.

Also took a quick look at the ranch’s website. For the price of one audad you could get a pretty decent year round lease that probably has a bunch of decent audad.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
        I am not a fan of the 223 in AR, bolt ect for deer size game. That's me though. Not a bad ram but I am still leary of that round for those big west Texas aoudads out at long distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oONgBVyXVNQ
        Shot placement and bullet choice trump caliber. If you disrupt the CNS with a high shoulder shot, critters are going to drop.

Comment

223 doesn't really surprise me but the frangible bullet does. I would've expected a Barnes TSX

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
              Shot placement and bullet choice trump caliber. If you disrupt the CNS with a high shoulder shot, critters are going to drop.
              Yep this is very true and after that initial shock, if there is not considerable damage done, that animal will get up and run off...
              Last edited by PondPopper; 04-22-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                Yep this is very true and after that initial shock, if there is not considerable damage done, that animal will get up and run off...
                #truth!

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
                  #truth!
                  I friend of mine, who has killed some really big deer, lost what he thinks would be the biggest buck he has ever killed in the DCNF about 20 years ago shooting a .223. He shot it in the neck, 4-5 inches below the ear at 70ish yards with a 64 grain bullet.. It dropped stone cold dead. He let it lay for 10 minutes. The big buck never flinched again so he got down. When he walked up to the deer it jumped up and lunged into the thick forest never to be seen again but surely it died from infection somewhere way back in there.. Where the deer lay was a 2" circle of blood. That's it..

He had his choice of a 7mag or a .270 that day also but chose a small caliber.. It was easily a high 70's buck, if not bigger, with a huge body and neck... He still talks about it in disgust.. He hasn't ever deer hunter with that gun since..

I tend to learn from others mistakes not others successes.... Some folks are just awful lucky..

Comment

Impressive, I wouldn't attempt it but good for him.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      I friend of mine, who has killed some really big deer, lost what he thinks would be the biggest buck he has ever killed in the DCNF about 20 years ago shooting a .223. He shot it in the neck, 4-5 inches below the ear at 70ish yards with a 64 grain bullet.. It dropped stone cold dead. He let it lay for 10 minutes. The big buck never flinched again so he got down. When he walked up to the deer it jumped up and lunged into the thick forest never to be seen again but surely it died from infection somewhere way back in there.. Where the deer lay was a 2" circle of blood. That's it..

He had his choice of a 7mag or a .270 that day also but chose a small caliber.. It was easily a high 70's buck, if not bigger, with a huge body and neck... He still talks about it in disgust.. He hasn't ever deer hunter with that gun since..

I tend to learn from others mistakes not others successes.... Some folks are just awful lucky..

I shot a coyote with a 117 gr 25-06 with almost similar shot placement. That yote got up and left the scene sometime between the 600 yd drive to camp and back to show my son.

Shall we stop shooting coyotes and larger game with 25-06 because I had a bad experience? Sometimes it ain’t bad luck, or bullet, sometimes the shot we think is “perfect”, is well imperfect.

.223 bullet performance has come a long way and can be an effective hunting round. But not all .223’s can shoot that 79 gr bullet with precision.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                        I shot a coyote with a 117 gr 25-06 with almost similar shot placement. That yote got up and left the scene sometime between the 600 yd drive to camp and back to show my son.

Shall we stop shooting coyotes and larger game with 25-06 because I had a bad experience? Sometimes it ain’t bad luck, or bullet, sometimes the shot we think is “perfect”, is well imperfect.

.223 bullet performance has come a long way and can be an effective hunting round. But not all .223’s can shoot that 79 gr bullet with precision.
                        My bet would be that many, many more deer have gone Unrecovered shot with a .223 than coyotes have shot with a 25-06.
                        But hey!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X