Boyd’s stock issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boyd’s stock issue

I ordered a Boyd’s stock for my rifle from Midway. It’s a post - 64 model 70 in .270. The description said post 64 model 70 and it was a basic stock at a decent price which is what I wanted. Get it in and install it and the floorplate sticks out a bit and I can see daylight between the floor plate of the rifle and the stock. I saw on Boyd’s website that there was a two piece floorplate and one piece option. Midway’s description didn’t mention that so I figure I got the wrong one and sent it back. I decide to order direct from Boyd’s. I get it and the thing has the same issue. Customer service so far asked me a little about it and just said, “It should work with a little fitting.”

Here’s the thing. The trigger guard is sticking out a good bit. I’d have to scrape out a good bit of wood on a section that has to be flat. Next, once I’ve done that, the trigger guard will be closer to the rifle and the screw will jut up into the channel for the bolt. Meaning I’d have to shave down the screw.

Am I missing something or is this normal for their model 70 stocks? They say the stock may need a little fitting but this seems to be a bit more than a little. And I really don’t feel like I should have to modify the rifle to make the sock work. Am I missing something or just being too picky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Boyd I’ve ordered required final fitting, some more than others.

Comment

Mass produced cnc stocks... their QC is less than adequate

Comment

That fit doesn’t surprise me one bit, that’s why they state “minor fitting required”

Send those pics to Boyd and see what their response is

Comment

Make sure your tightening srews evenly. Did that to mine all i had to do was restart and it fellinto place.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Does the bottom metal fit into the stock without the action in the stock?

Comment

Here’s what the bottom plates look like with no receiver in and here’s what they look like on the original stock.

Comment

Typical Boyd’s stock. Usually some fitting required.

Comment

This was their response.

“Hello,
                  So as we indicated in our tech specs, minor fitting may be required for that perfect fit. Any light sanding is acceptable for fitting. With the screw being to long, you can file the screw down so that it will work for you. You did specify you "thought" the year was correct, I would contact Winchester and provide them with your serial numbers off of your firearm, they should be able to tell you about your firearm. This will help determine that the correct stock was ordered.

Thank you,
                  Kari”

Personally I don’t consider having to modify my rifle “minor fitting”. Not happy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Does the bottom metal fit into the stock without the action in the stock?

This!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      This!

I put photos up with what it looks like without the action in the stock.

Comment

Originally posted by ElCid07 View Post
                        I put photos up with what it looks like without the action in the stock.

Sorry, completely missed that.

Yep, that stock needs more than minor fitting.....

Comment

That is a lot of fitting to do, plus you will need to grind down the action screw length. I would do like Cajun Blake said and send them pics.

Looks like something is off by an 1/8 of an inch. What happened to the original stock?

Comment

This is how they responded

“Hello,
                            So as we indicated in our tech specs, minor fitting may be required for that perfect fit. Any light sanding is acceptable for fitting. With the screw being to long, you can file the screw down so that it will work for you. You did specify you "thought" the year was correct, I would contact Winchester and provide them with your serial numbers off of your firearm, they should be able to tell you about your firearm. This will help determine that the correct stock was ordered.

Thank you,
                            Kari”

So they believe 1/8th of an inch in wood removal, along with the permanent modification of the screw that helps hold the rifle onto the stock is minor modification.

Comment

The original stock is beat up. Been my main rifle since I was 15 and inherited it from my grandfather. Figured I would replace it. Now wishing I had gone another route. Apparently any returns, no matter the reason are subject to a “restocking fee” of 14%, plus you have to pay for shipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X