Tacoma owners.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
    I have a '15 TRD and my only 'real' gripes are slightly uncomfortable seats, particularly for long trips and the gas mileage isn't any better than a larger V-8 truck.

I would say the engine. The tow rating went down wen the moved to the smaller engine as well. I have an 07 which I love. Other than the weak leaf springs (not a problem anymore) and sealed transmission, I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
      Got her home.

Great looking truck. Where did u purchase? Cement special order?

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
        Great looking truck. Where did u purchase? Cement special order?

Gulf coast in Angleton. Not special order just hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
          Gulf coast in Angleton. Not special order just hard to find.

Any plans on body lift or tires?

Comment

Don’t do a body lift, spacers or new coils. That truck can go places in stock form full-size trucks dream of. Swap tires to something aggressive and let her rip!

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
              Don’t do a body lift, spacers or new coils. That truck can go places in stock form full-size trucks dream of. Swap tires to something aggressive and let her rip!
              This is good info, any reason why, curious for future? I have seen body lifts and such from factory at dealerships. have you had issues?

Comment

Body lift basically lifts the body from the truck with plastic inserts. You will get crazy body roll. Haven’t seen any dealers offering this?

Comment

The biggest challenge with these trucks is the IFS. Cheap lifts are usually just a spacer jammed between the factory coils and frame. I've seen dealers add this pretty often. The truck sits higher but the coils are now "pre loaded" so it may ride rougher and doesn't gain any articulation. If you just want to level the front this "works." The stock upper control arms are designed for stock height. After 1.5" or so you'll run out of alignment adjustment. At that point to make it drive right, you need new UCA. On my 06, I had ICON coilovers and UCA. (The ICON UCA were cheaper than buying stock one when the ball joints went out.) I had helper springs on the back that raised it about an inch. It definitely rode and handled much better than stock but was $$$ for what amounted to 1" in the back and 2" in the front.
                  Last edited by jdg13; 09-20-2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                    Body lift basically lifts the body from the truck with plastic inserts. You will get crazy body roll. Haven’t seen any dealers offering this?
                    So better results with actual lift kit? I actually saw one for sale in Richardson’s with body lift which is why I ask. Appreciate the input

Comment

Yeah, do a true lift kit that drops the cv shafts to proper angles, drive time, etc.

So better results with actual lift kit? I actually saw one for sale in Richardson’s with body lift which is why I ask. Appreciate the input

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        The Tacoma forums have had all the same complaints for every generation of Tacoma...
                        I’ve had my 2017 SR5 for just over 2 years. It was one of the first 2017’s on the lot.
                        I have had a total of 1 issue with the truck, and toyota fixed it right off the bat.

I wouldn’t hesitate to make the same purchase again, and the only thing that will get me out of this Tacoma... is a diesel Tacoma.

The 3rd gen already has more complaints than the 2nd gen and its only been out for 3 years. That’s the sole reason I bought a 2nd gen over a 3rd gen. You can get a low mileage 3rd gen for the same price as an equally equipped 2nd gen. Why? Because everybody and their mother is getting rid of their 3rd gen due to issues.
                        I’m running 33’s, Fox 2.5 ext. travel C/O’s in the front, OME Dakar rear leaf pack, rock sliders, front/rear bumpers, etc. so I speak from experience on this. Don’t go cheap on the lift. No body or spacer lifts. Spend the $2,500+ (+ labor) for a decent lift.
                        Have a great day!

Comment

The new Tacos are very nice trucks, but they are too **** small for me to get in and out of. My buddy has a 2018 crew Tacoma and thing looks like a beast, until you try cramming yourself in that tiny cab.

Comment

No.

Well, I said that about my ‘02....about a year before it went up 6”.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                              The 3rd gen already has more complaints than the 2nd gen and its only been out for 3 years. That’s the sole reason I bought a 2nd gen over a 3rd gen. You can get a low mileage 3rd gen for the same price as an equally equipped 2nd gen. Why? Because everybody and their mother is getting rid of their 3rd gen due to issues.

I’m running 33’s, Fox 2.5 ext. travel C/O’s in the front, OME Dakar rear leaf pack, rock sliders, front/rear bumpers, etc. so I speak from experience on this. Don’t go cheap on the lift. No body or spacer lifts. Spend the $2,500+ (+ labor) for a decent lift.

Have a great day!

There is about a 3-4K difference between an average 2015 Tacoma and an average 2017 Tacoma in a VERY similar configuration. That about perfectly matches the percentage of value lost over the life of Tacoma’s in general.
                              You would have a valid argument if the 3rd gen Tacoma’s we’re taking a big hit in value within the first year like most other truck brands do, not for a brand that STILL holds its value better than any competitor. The close price point between the gens is a result of steadily maintained re-sell value... not a symptom of a low performing model.

The problem is, too many people expect full size truck performance in a small truck format. The Tacoma easily has enough power for daily driving and light towing. Key phrase there is LIGHT towing. This is still a small truck, if you want to tow... buy a full size. (Or a diesel, for that matter)

By FAR the biggest complaints on the 3rd gen are the transmission shifting points. They are set like they are specifically to meet EPA requirements for MPG ratings. Toyota knew we probably would want more power, so they gave every Tacoma a little “ECT” button that transfers the shifting protocols higher in the RPM band to achieve the power and torque that people prefer. It’s not hard to press the button. The TSB’s (software updates) released over the last 2 years have drastically improved the performance of the stock truck beyond most people’s complaints. Also, there are several aftermarket patches available for $300 and less to give you completely customizable shifting points to further improve power.

There is no reason for any consumer looking to buy a new Tacoma TODAY to convince themselves down to a 3.5+ year old used version due to some imaginary systemic problem. NONE

The 3rd gen Tacoma’s are **** fine trucks with an up to date transmission TSB. And, you can enjoy your resale value while other guys talk about how overrated your truck is... as they sit in something worth half as much at the same age.

Comment

Anybody done HP upgrade for larger tires?
                                You can add a supercharger for around $7k installed last time I looked at it.

You can change the gears to help with the power loss as well. Most of the guys I know have gone with 4.56 for the daily drivers one went 4.88 but his is almost a dedicated trail rig.

there are forums out there that have all sorts of good info and reading.

2011 Taco DC/SB Off-road package, (102k miles), 2.5" lift with 285/65/18 Nitto Trail grapplers (2nd set)

Comment

Working...
                                X