Medal of Honor questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal of Honor questions?

My daughter is interviewing Medal of Honor winner Woody Williams tomorrow and needs some questions to ask him. She needs some some good questions to ask him. He was at Iwo Jima on the pacific front. I told her yall would probably have some good questions. Thanks in advance.

Don't ask him how he "won" the Medal of Honor.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Recipient

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
        Thanks for the help. Recipient
        Or Awarded

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
          Or Awarded
          Thank you sir

Comment

marine ooorah! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hershel_W._Williams

Comment

Only advice I can give is to NOT use the word “winner”

Comment

Good on your daughter for doing this. I think the biggest question not to ask is "how many people did you kill?" Yeah, I know, but I've seen this done a lot, and then the interviewer can't understand why the interviewee clams up. I would suggest her asking him about his life before he joined the Marine Corps, and what made him want to join the Marines, rather than the Navy or Army. She could also ask him kind of food or drink he missed the most while away from one (you'd be surprised at how many veterans will tell you mom's home cooking and a glass of cold milk).

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

I’d want to know his proudest life moment/achievement outside of military life. He may enjoy talking about family or other achievements. Some people don’t wanna be remembered so much for what they did as much as who they were.

Comment

Ask him where his drive and motivation came/comes from.

Comment

I can't help on questions, but what an honor for her to have this opportunity!
                      We had a guest of honor, also a Marine, speak at a USMC Birthday celebration at work a couple of years back.
                      I found myself hanging on every word as he told about his boyhood, growing up, lying about his age to sign up early and just a little bit about his experiences in WWII.
                      The thing that stuck with me the most, was when he said when he returned to Normandy, later in life, it crushed him to see more American flags flying there than he does at home. He asked all of those in attendance, "if you don't already have a flag at your home, please, go out and get one! Fly it day and night, we fought for you to be able to do that!"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, what a life event for your your little girl!!!!

Have her break the ice by asking what his favorite battery drill is, then ask him what it was like serving our great country during that war.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell me about the men you served with.

That is the question I would ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
                            Good on your daughter for doing this. I think the biggest question not to ask is "how many people did you kill?" Yeah, I know, but I've seen this done a lot, and then the interviewer can't understand why the interviewee clams up. I would suggest her asking him about his life before he joined the Marine Corps, and what made him want to join the Marines, rather than the Navy or Army. She could also ask him kind of food or drink he missed the most while away from one (you'd be surprised at how many veterans will tell you mom's home cooking and a glass of cold milk).

Good luck,

Dave
                            Thank you sir. Will let her read this one

Comment

She can ask him about the geography of the island. How much did the volcanic ash and sand affect their ability to maneuver on the beach.

Were Marines able to stay with their original platoons and units after they hit the beach or did everyone get instantly separated and have to pair up with marines that they didn't know?

Had the Marines on ship already been briefed on how fanatical and Die Hard the Japanese soldiers were? Or did they only find out after they engaged them in combat?

Did his ship encounter any Japanese air attacks prior to landing on Iwo Jima? If so could he describe them.

If you tell me how old your daughter is I can probably come up with a lot of good questions. I'm a former Marine.

If she runs out of questions could she ask him high fence or low fence?
                              Last edited by Chew; 03-08-2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X