Any lineman on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any lineman on here?

Well its been a year tomorrow since I've gotten out of the military, and through an adventure full of twists and turns I have found myself in HVAC school while working at an air and refrigeration place where I live. Been talking to the wife lately and she is currently at the gallows waiting to be hung by her work (long story short she is getting canned for some BS) anyway..I dont really see myself continuing down the road of HVAC for different reasons and have considered going to Northwest Lineman College in Denton. I dont know the first d@mn thing about being a lineman or anything similar to that field, nor do I really know if the school would be worth my time. So is there anyone on the green screen that does that line of work or knows someone that does that can tell me if its worth a career change, as well as if the school would be worth it or not. Thank you all

First off...Thank you for your service.
    If that is the trade you are interested in, contact the local union that does that trade and find out if there is a helmets to hardhats program. Most unions offer these programs for Vets and Vets get preferred status.
    I see you are up in the DFW area. Contact Local 20 IBEW in Dallas. See if they can put you in the direction of a lineman or a apprenticeship for one.
    Ask about the helmets to hardhats program.

Comment

Submit a resume to AT&T, special hiring program for vets.

Comment

Thank you for the information sir. I have heard of the helmets to hardhats program but didnt even think to look into that since the last I heard about it was over a year ago and I have since forgotten so thanks for reminding me ha

Comment

Many big electric utilities don’t have enough lineman, and their aerial construction contractors rarely have enough crews. It’s an aging workforce with a lot of people approaching retirement.

I can name 2 very big electric utilities in Texas that do not have enough crew capacity to keep up with maintenance and new builds. Throw in damage from a major hurricane or two and there is way more than enough work to keep lineman busy.

Comment

I spent 7-8 years climbing poles,dragging fiber through the trees.
            Its very hot and very cold and hard work in general. I enjoyed it until my knees really started hating it. I dont know anything about the school you mentioned but i would not go to it until i found out whether or not it was a requirement for a place i wanted to work.
            Check into places your interested in working to see what they require.
            Then go to fire school

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
              I spent 7-8 years climbing poles,dragging fiber through the trees.
              Its very hot and very cold and hard work in general. I enjoyed it until my knees really started hating it. I dont know anything about the school you mentioned but i would not go to it until i found out whether or not it was a requirement for a place i wanted to work.
              Check into places your interested in working to see what they require.
              Then go to fire school
              I like that last sentence.

Comment

Yeah I'm a lineman.

Comment

My Coworker’s son graduated from the school in Denton at the top of his class and was hired by Encore in Tyler I believe. He loves it and is marking really good money. He gets a lot of overtime. He said the school was 4 months long and cost around 16 thousand. In his opinion it was well worth it. You also graduate with your CDL which is pretty hard to get on your own these days. Good luck to you whatever you choose!

Comment

Electric Co Op, if your gonna do it

Comment

After talking to a retired Mid South Co-op lineman a bit, I have put it on my short list of things I believe I could have/should have done instead of my current trade. Hard work, and hours can be long, but its steady honest work. And pay is good. And actual retirement, 401 matching etc. He has retired with more money than any machinist I have ever known....

Comment

You do realize that while we are sitting by our fireplaces staying warm after the storm, you will be out in the rain, the snow and the cold wind? ...but someone has to do it, and I'm thankful there are those willing to endure the elements. Good luck.

I wish you well in your career

Comment

It can be long hours in crappy conditions without many thanks, but it pays good. Everyone that I’ve seen hired in the past 5 years has come from a line school. Thank you very much for your service.
                          Last edited by JWF; 01-23-2018, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Depends on the company and type of lineman your talking about. Power company, telephone, and cable normally train you within their own school if you pass climbing school you keep the job and move to next level of training. AT&T pays the most over any competitor I think it's up to 25-30 dollars now for uverse installers and their techs are union. Very good benefits too. Not sure about power company.
                            Last edited by justintyme8303; 01-23-2018, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I figured the work would suck, but let’s be honest here..the military prepped me for some ***** working environments hahahahaha. Plus the only jobs I really qualified for coming out of the military was being a security officer..wohoo lol (not knocking anyone that is) I just would like to see what I’m getting myself into before I get myself into it, and also trying to make the best choice for my family. Again, thank you for all of the replies. That’s what makes this forum so amazing. God bless

Comment

Working...
                              X