Garner state park exotic hunt recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garner state park exotic hunt recap

So this was the first hunt I have drawn ever. I read a lot of posts about lack of game, hunt manager being an arse etc. So here’s my review of it.

The set ups are sketchy. Very very narrow shooting lanes in most. And short. Blinds are close to each other and that is the reason. This year between 80 hunters only 15 deer have been shot however I didn’t get an update from this morning and they have tonight and the morning still.
    I arrived Wednesday. Did orientation. The park staff was super nice and helpful to everyone. They explained everything to a T and had good safety rules in place with everyone handling weapons going to the blinds.
    They loaded us up in each truck (4hubters per truck). You sit in the back on benches carrying your gun like the cartel rolling out for a war haha. I will say they drive a bit fast lol.
    They walk you to your blind and make sure you understand the shooting lanes and all. They picked me up last as I was dropped off first. I waited until 7:10 to get picked up. That kinda sucked.
    There were 2 other TBH guys there. Real nice folks and I enjoyed talking to them. One guys wife shot a pretty good boar hog right in the face haha . I was the only one to see a deer that hunt. And it happens very fast. You have about 10 seconds absolute tops to get your gun up and let it fly. The lane was very narrow and there were branches in the way of most of it so pay attention to that. Mine was just passing through. He had a Bullet in him in 3-5 seconds after coming out. It was a 1.5 year old axis buck. I was shooting the very first one I saw given the complete lack of sightings and harvests and feel very lucky to have had the chance. I drilled him through both shoulders. Slammed him on the ground and he still ran. Rule is if it runs and you can’t see it fall you can’t shoot that sit anymore. If it falls there you keep shooting all you want. They also don’t let you help track. You mark first blood and tell them which way it went and they send a team to find it. I didn’t like that but I understand. My deer went 30 yards somehow.I left this morning as I haven’t seen my wife and daughter much and I’m headed out tomorrow for lease work then my wife flys out to PA Monday then I leave for 2 weeks of work when she gets back. So I decided to come home and see them. I was blessed with early success and hope someone else gets a chance. I was in blind 11 across the river and right by the highway. Feeder threw at 415 and I shot at 515 or so. Only animals I saw was the one deer and a squirrel. I did not bait. There was old hay piles that were ate and no corn when I arrived. They feed at night I’m pretty sure. And that deer was on edge big time and watched the feeder as he walked out. Someone say a couple turkeys and the hog and that’s it. I can say I won’t go back with low success rates and such a highly controlled hunt. It’s not bad just not my style. You need to bring a chair for the blind. Theirs suck. The park staff was great. I stayed in a cabin at the 4J river way park. $89 a night for a queen bed, bunk bed, WiFi, satellite TV and a fridge and microwave with full bathroom. Pretty cheap. I’ll let my pics do the rest. No pic of the deer. Too small lol.
    Hope this helps folks understand. Low success rate but a pretty place to hunt. I could hear the Frio river flowing while in the blind. I wanted to kick back and nap lol. Very relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Love the sticker.

Comment

Interesting no one saw game. I had a chance at whitetail every sit and axis twice.

Do they still hunt in park?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the recap. Congrats on the success!

It'll be interesting to see how the archery hunt differs when Mo is there next week.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great pics and write-up. Axis meat is dang tasty. Thank you!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Oh I also wanted to touch on the subject someone mentioned about them saying they are losing money and don’t like the hunting.

That is false. They love the hunting. They want the axis gone. They only want native species. They did talk about how they lose money doing this and that they have 150 camping spots booked the day after the hunting is done. They emphasize this to tell you to be grateful and don’t screw it up because they do not want to stop the hunts. All but 1-2 are volunteers. They want you to obey the rules and be respectful of the park and the program. I agree 100% and at no time did I ever feel like we were unwelcome or unwanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Thanks for the recap. Congrats on the success!

It'll be interesting to see how the archery hunt differs when Mo is there next week.

I will be too. I can’t imagine why they’d do archery last. Blind 11 would be an awesome archery spot!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Interesting no one saw game. I had a chance at whitetail every sit and axis twice.

Do they still hunt in park?

Yes sir. When was your hunt? Everyone says the numbers are way down. And there have been 3 groups before us so the deer are probably scared lol

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Yes sir. When was your hunt? Everyone says the numbers are way down. And there have been 3 groups before us so the deer are probably scared lol

I have been on four or five other draw hunts. And I will agree that they are the most strict on Rules by far. And I get that they want to be completely safe and take only mature deer. But not everyone is going to listen.

There was no shortage of deer killed on the hunt that I went to. there was three of us that drew and we brought home four axis and 3 white tail. One afternoon we had to wait for a spot in the skinning rack

Last edited by Quackerbox; 01-11-2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I have been on four or five other draw hunts. And I will agree that they are the most strict on Rules by far. And I get that they want to be completely safe and take only mature deer. But not everyone is going to listen.

There was no shortage of deer killed on the hunt that I went to. there was three of us that drew and we brought home for axis and 3 white tail. One afternoon we had to wait for a spot in the skinning rack

Yeah I don’t think you can compare 6 years ago lol. That’s a LOT of hunters between then and now. I’d have loved a pile of axis.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Yeah I don’t think you can compare 6 years ago lol. That’s a LOT of hunters between then and now. I’d have loved a pile of axis.
                        Theres still a lot of game in the park. I was there last summer. Maybe they migrate out for the winter but there is still lots of deer.

Comment

Theres still a lot of game in the park. I was there last summer. Maybe they migrate out for the winter but there is still lots of deer.
                          They said it freaks them out when it goes quiet. That plus the gun shots I understand. I think archery hunts and leaving the park open would do a lot better if that’s the case.

Comment

at least you had a pop-up. We had wire mesh with camo burlap around it. The first shot I took I had to wait for a deer to clear the picnic table before I could shoot. I was literally 50 yards from the bathroom

Comment

at least you had a pop-up. We had wire mesh with camo burlap around it. The first shot I took I had to wait for a deer to clear the picnic table before I could shoot. I was literally 50 yards from the bathroom
                              Woulda been nice. Cuz I needed to go and didn’t want to introduce “bait”

Comment

Working...
                              X