Looking for Lock On Stand Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Lock On Stand Advice

I have never used lock ons. They seem difficult to get up into trees and setup. Also, I have heard stories of them slipping. However, it it hard to find trees for ladder stands in Central TX. Many of the trees where I hunt are smaller scrub oaks and cedars. So, what are some cheaper and easier lock ons to use? I would use them in smaller diameter trees mostly. Thanks.

tripod stands?

Comment

X-Stands make the lightest stand. When I hang lock ons, I always put my ladder on first and stay attached to the tree using a linemans belt. When I get to the top to hang it I tie a strap around the tree with a hook on it. I tie a loop around the base of the seat and pull it up and put it on the hook. Now all you have to do is put two straps on it.

Comment

I've never hunted from a lock on either, but looking into saddle hunting. There's a lot of info on saddle Hunter.com.
        You also might want to look at the millennium t100 tripod. It weighs under 40lbs.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Many of them are more adjustable for tree angle. I've had all types but I like one with a swivel boat seat like a gametamer. Sat many many hours in them from Texas to Kansas.

I never trust the mounting that comes with any stand. I always add a redundant chain system for my peace of mind. Probably over kill, but it makes me feel better. Goes without saying to use a lifeline as well.

All lock-ons are PIA to install for me, but once in place are super comfy for longer sits.
          IMO, installation is much safer with 2 people. Just not worth it to have an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtner View Post
            Many of them are more adjustable for tree angle. I've had all types but I like one with a swivel boat seat like a gametamer. Sat many many hours in them from Texas to Kansas.

I never trust the mounting that comes with any stand. I always add a redundant chain system for my peace of mind. Probably over kill, but it makes me feel better. Goes without saying to use a lifeline as well.

All lock-ons are PIA to install for me, but once in place are super comfy for longer sits.
            IMO, installation is much safer with 2 people. Just not worth it to have an accident.
            This^^^^^^

Comment

I had a lone wolf Assault. As one who never hunted or installed a lock on, it was fairly simple. Use the linemans rope to keep you connected to the tree. Once the stand is installed place a safety rope above with a prusik knot and the next time you climb it become much easier than fooling with the linemans setup.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Setxbowhunter58 View Post
                  X-Stands make the lightest stand. When I hang lock ons, I always put my ladder on first and stay attached to the tree using a linemans belt. When I get to the top to hang it I tie a strap around the tree with a hook on it. I tie a loop around the base of the seat and pull it up and put it on the hook. Now all you have to do is put two straps on it.
                  I use this technique as well. Only thing I do in addition is I zip tie the platform to the seat before I pull it up. It keeps it nice and tight while it is hanging on the loop and you are strapping it to the tree. Once the strap is in place, I snip the tie, and lower the platform putting further tension on the strap. My buddy showed me this technique and it has saved me countless headaches...

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the game tamer/ woodsey too style stands, they just aren't comfortable to me, but there is probably not a better stand for the oaks in the hill country, problem is they aren't cheap. If you plan on moving it a lot look at something else as those stands are heavy. I used an XOP maximus (huge platform) last year and will be downsizing to something smaller this year. I like the Millenium M50 for something I'm not going to move around. They are cheap and comfortable but not as versatile as a Lone wolf or XOP. I haven't used it but I bet the Millenium M360 is incredibly comfortable if you like hunting sitting down. Again, not cheap and not very portable.

Comment

I hunt 95% out of lock ons. Mine have a large platform with a foot rest and a good padded seat. Just about all of mine are made out of aluminum, which is way easier to hang than one out of steel. I also have a pulley system that I use. Once I get my climbing sticks up and in place, I hang my pulley about 3 ft above where I intend to place the stand. Tie the rope to my stand and pull it up. Once I get it up, the pulley locks in place, leaving the stand hanging in mid air. Then, all I have to do is wrap the strap around the tree, snug it up just a little till I get the stand position just where I want it, then pull strap tight, and fold stand out. Once I do that, the stand is rock solid.

Comment

Tag

Comment

I got a couple of tree stand buddies for Christmas this past year and they are great. So much easier connecting a small plate to the tree and just sliding the stand on the plate than connecting the tree stand itself to the tree.

Comment

Add a Hunter Safety System rope that goes from the bottom of the tree to above your stand so you are always connected going up and coming down. I always add an extra ratchet strap on mine.

RD

Comment

Working...
                            X