Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the mindset of young employees changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has the mindset of young employees changed?

I am not sure what your job requires as far as hours, days off, pay etc. Our department started a new police academy last week. I asked one of the new recruits how many were in the class. He advised me 12 but he felt like they were losing a female already.

They have not done much so I was curious why she might already be thinking of jumping ship. I was advised she just found out the pretty new police Tahoe's which are take home, can only be taken to officers within the city.

She stated if she would have known that she would not have even applied and would have applied with the agency she lives in that does also provide take home cruisers.

She did not do her homework. It is all over the web site etc. So now she is thinking she will quit cause she can't drive a cool car? SMFH if her mentality is already that **** poor over a car to not join she probably doesn't need to be a cop anyway.

We had one guy quit one week prior to the TECLOE test. He stated he could not work shifts, rotations etc as it would be really hard on his family. Oh lawd forgive me for having to do such horrible hours in police work.

In about the last 5-6 yrs I have seen more immaturity in recruits then any other time. Not a walk in the park and never will be, imo. I keep thinking of the oilfield hands. Surely they can't have that mind set? Or any other job for that matter.

Lol.......u are lucky to have made it thus long. The pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry crossed that bridge 15 years ago. If those two beneign examples bother you, consider retirement soon......just saying!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
      Lol.......u are lucky to have made it thus long. The pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry crossed that bridge 15 years ago. If those two beneign examples bother you, consider retirement soon......just saying!!!

7 yrs and waiting

Comment

She should have done her homework, but what if her and her husband share a car? Maybe she really does need to use a cruiser to get back and forth to work?

Comment

Last year we called an employee to schedule him for a job the next day. He informed us he couldn't do the job because "he had already scheduled that day to play x-box with his friends".

Comment

Has nothing to do with "today".

Different people are what I would consider weird. About 15-16 yrs ago my Dad as a former Marine tried to hire a Veteran to work at his car lot. He had spoken with my Dad a few times and my Dad had basically created a position for him. My Dad said he could use a car from the lot to get to and from work until he could afford to buy. Dad offered him a Corrolla and the guy wanted a Cadillac. He didnt accept the job to get back on his feet because he didnt get his choice of car.

Comment

awful lot of judgement there based on information you filled in yourself.
              always better to use a mirror than a window when you want to judge.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                7 yrs and waiting
                Very nice, in that case find all the positives, mentor and enjoy the ride. I remember a guy 16 years my senior saying various things when my group started. When he retired he talked about it.
                "He noted times had changed as they always have. The folks coming in are much smarter. Technology has revolutionized the industry. He could not pass the testing. Younger blood brought about positive change, etc."
                All in all, every generation has different expectations and this one may be wacky but I won't doubt they will be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                  awful lot of judgement there based on information you filled in yourself.
                  always better to use a mirror than a window when you want to judge.
                  right

Comment

Sense of entitlement. Because I am blah I deserve blah. So many people graduating with BS degrees thinking they should make 100K right out the gate is another one item hat bothers me.

Or because they have a degree they can’t swing a hammer

Comment

I noticed some of the same issues with some employees prior to retiring. I think some of us are just getting older and have forgotten that during our younger years of employment we had a few of these "dead heads" also.

I think some of us are too hard on them but as stated above different generation different expectations. The baby boomers, I can say we made our share of mistakes and some have perfected 'it's all about me' already.
                      Last edited by tps7742; 01-15-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                        Sense of entitlement. Because I am blah I deserve blah. So many people graduating with BS degrees thinking they should make 100K right out the gate is another one item hat bothers me.

Or because they have a degree they can’t swing a hammer

Easy you might upset a couple of guys on this thread but yes I do agree

Comment

When the heat is up, the snowflakes melt.

Comment

I have been hiring and developing people for a long time, just retired a couple months ago (it is amazing, not bored yet, but getting close.....lol). During interviews we always stressed the downsides the job - 24 hour call, outside work with all the elements, dirty, heavy lifting, and so on. We hired all ages, not just younger people. Even with all that, we had people leaving because of conditions. And it was not just younger people, all ages.

I think people hear what they want to hear. But the feeling of entitlement has definitely been increasing, it is a big shift from what it used to be. But it is just part of the process. Just accept it and move on

Comment

Pay them enough and they will do whatever you want, they may grumble, but they will do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X