Pipe cutter for arrows...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipe cutter for arrows...

FTR, I did a few cuts on an old Benan IcS bowhunter arrow and was excited to get started on my newer ones. Different carbon material altogether. The old Bemans cut cleanly and te newer ones had whole strands from the inside of the arrow peel away and tear! 😁😁 Don't know why this is but I'll either be buying more expensive arrows or an arrow saw next time.

Save yourself a lot of money and just get a saw to cur them with. Using a pipe cutter actually crushes the inside of the shaft rather than cutting the carbon, and this makes the arrow extremely dangerous to shoot.

It can have lateral cracks that run the length of the shaft that you don't see, splintering on the inside of the shaft that could make it explode like a bomb is inside it, not to mention the sloppy chewed off end that you are trying to get square enough to put an insert in.

No arrow manufacturer recommends using a pipe cutter for cutting shafts. High speed abrasive type blade only.

Comment

Would love to go that route. I want to get set up to build arrows

Comment

IMHO you don't even need an arrow saw. I use a dremel with a diamond wheel at high speed and cut the arrow a couple of millimeters long, grind it as flush as I can eye-balling it. The I go back and use an arrow squaring tool. If you only cut arrows every blue moon I feel it's a pretty cheap and effective way to go. The arrows are cut right and properly squared and all I spent on my setup was $40 instead of $80-$200.

Comment

Do not use a pipe cutter. This is bad.

Comment

At this rate, I'm just going to leave the arrows long. Not affecting their flight that I can tell.

Comment

I'm not sure if you have a Harbor Freight near you (if not, you can order offline). But, they have a 2" mini cut off saw (some call it a chop saw) for around $30. It works perfectly. It uses a high rpm, and a thin blade. And all your cuts are clean and square.

Comment

Working...
              X