Big Oak Bowhunting - Trip #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Oak Bowhunting - Trip #5

Once again Buff, Lisa, Whitney, and Bagley didn't disappoint! Another awesome trip in the book and a trailer loaded with 4 big coolers filled to the top with meat. This was our 5th trip and 10 animals killed now. Averaging 2 animals a trip is a pretty darn good success rate!

Personally, I was after an axis and/or red stag. Buff and Whitney worked hard to get me on them, but they slipped me once again. I drew back twice on a huge red deer stag, but didn't have a clean shot and the distance was pushing my limit.

With all of the acorns on the ground, the animals are not hitting the feed hardly at all. They were still able to get us on the animals though!

I ended up shooting a huge cow elk/red deer cross to fill my freezer on Saturday evening. The bulls weren't coming in and the cows hung around until last light. The shot was perfect and she ran about 50 yards to the road and fell in sight.

Whitney was able to sneak my Uncle into a spot were "lil' red" was hanging. With some trickery, my Uncle was able to take a 30 yards quartering to shot. Arrow went in front of the lead shoulder glancing off the scapula and exiting behind the opposite shoulder with out punching a second hole. Blood got spotty after a little ways, so Buff and Bagley came to the rescue. Bagley tracked him across the entire farm and finally bayed him up. He stood his ground and turned to fight her. Unfortunately, he got her pinned down and punctured her behind her last rib. Thankfully Buff was able to finish off the deer with the suppressed rifle and thermal scope before he could do anymore damage to Bagley! We still aren't sure how he survived that long with that shot! Miss Bagley was a little sore, but running around after a long night of rest.

Entrance

Exit

Last but not least my Dad was chasing the huge Oryx. After chasing them around all weekend and getting out smarted, he got a shot at 9:30 this morning when he was packing his stuff to get out of the blind. Thankfully he made a perfect shot and the bull oryx piled up in 60-70 yards! I think Bagley was very happy to not have to chase another one down!

It was another epic weekend at Big Oak! We had an absolute blast and once again the company/guide/cook/and sweet doggy went over and beyond to get us another stellar trip!

Many memories were made, freezers filled, and an ever growing taxidermy bill! Life doesn't get much better! We can't thank the Big Oak crew enough for making it all possible.

After this weekend our crew has now killed 3 fallow, 2 sika, 2 oryx, aoudad, red stag, and red deer/elk cow.

We are booked for September already and will probably make a trip this summer after axis again!
    Last edited by CastAndBlast; 12-11-2016, 07:33 PM.

Wow yall did awesome. Congrats to everyone

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
      Wow yall did awesome. Congrats to everyone

Wish you were there. You have to make a trip with us one of these days!

Comment

Nice animals
        Congrats

Comment

Thanks for coming, like they used to say in the paper when I was a kid.... A good time was had by all

The Axis were glad you left, they were getting hungry
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	24476613

Comment

Congrats on the trip. Sorry to hear about Bagley getting poked.

Comment

Well done, Andy!

Comment

Glad ya'll had another good trip!!! My phone crapped out on me over the weekend so I couldn't follow along!! Good stuff!!!

Comment

Nice animals. Is that sika mixed with red deer?

Comment

awesome. congrats

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                      Nice animals. Is that sika mixed with red deer?
                      We don't really know. I think he is a mix of different sika species, but may have some red deer in him. Who knows though. All I know is that he is WAY bigger than my sika

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                        Thanks for coming, like they used to say in the paper when I was a kid.... A good time was had by all

The Axis were glad you left, they were getting hungry
                        [ATTACH]830177[/ATTACH]
                        They seem to like that set up. Maybe I will find my way there in February . . .

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                          We don't really know. I think he is a mix of different sika species, but may have some red deer in him. Who knows though. All I know is that he is WAY bigger than my sika
                          That's why I was asking, I have seen a lot of Sika and some pretty dang big ones at that- but that's easily the biggest body I've seen. Again, nice critters

Comment

He was a beast.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X