Remington 700 ultimate muzzleloader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington 700 ultimate muzzleloader

I’m thinking about ordering me a model 700 muzzleloader. Does anybody have experience with these that can give me some pros and cons?

I haven't seen the 'ultimate' in person but if its anything like the 700 ML my dad has...mehhh

It shoots good BUT its a large PIA to clean in a world of cleaning necessity.

1- pain to get the cap/primer onto the nipple. Dads has been swapped out to use 209 primers. I see the ultimate loads using cut off cases so that may not be an issue. My 78 yr old dad carries tweezers to load his.

2- must remove a screw on side of receiver to remove the bolt in order to insert a 7/16 deep socket to remove the nipple so you can run a patch down the barrel. Dumb

Remington says with this new case primer thing you can shoot 200 grains of powder. First...good grief!!! I shoot 100 grains and have killed deer plenty dead. Done it with as little as 75 also. Maybe for an elk hunt I guess but see no need in 200 grains

That said the videos online don't impress me much. I like the break open style of the TC and the newly acquired CVA I have. Much easier to manipulate IMO

Comment

I had one of the first ones when they came out many many years ago. It failed to fire a lot. Then they came out with a 209 conversion kit for it that made it much more reliable. Pretty sure they are all that way now. I killed a few deer with it. One of my biggest ever actually. I shot it on steel out to 200yds. This was way back before I got into long range shooting. It was a very comfortable rifle to carry and shoot. Felt much better than the average smoke poles of that time.

Comment

All the things Quackerbox said are true for me as well. Pain in the butt to clean.

Comment

In, for more info on the 700ml, I've got a 700ml and haven't shot it yet.

Comment

This is what I’ve got going on. My son is gonna be 14 next week. I’m needing to get him a muzzleloader to hunt mule deer with in the fall. I want to get one now so he can practice with it between now and then. Right now he has a couple model 700’s that he primarily hunts with that he’s used to. He also has a Thompson pro hunter with a couple barrels that he shoots sometimes. I’m trying to decide whether to get the Remington or a muzzleloader barrel for the encore. He’s probably gonna be looking at around 150 yd shot so distance and accuracy are important as always and it needs some knockdown power.

Comment

TC muzzle loader barrel hands down

Comment

The only thing the same with the 700 will be the bolt and safety. Obviously loading is different.

Id get a barrel for the TC or a complete TC rifle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Remington Ultimate muzzleloader is totally different from the old 700Ml. To load is the same, then the ignition is a large rifle primed casing. Totally sealed breech and not dirty at all. Rated for a significant amount of powder and 200-300 yard shots are now the norm. They are expensive ($899) and heavy. I think you would be better off to get a barrel for the TC, or get him a nice CVA Accura or Optima with Bergarra barrel. They are super accurate rifles, easy to clean, and the break action would be similar to what he is already familiar with.

Comment

I've got a Remington UML. I've only shot out to 250 yds,need to stretch it out. At 250 it shoots MOA. Burns really clean. 4 50 grain powder pellets doesn't kick too bad. If you have any questions let me know. This is my first muzzleloader but I'm happy with it.

Comment

I have had one for a couple of months. I didn't shoot 200 grains of powder because I was soon to go on a hunt and I heard it would blow out the breach tube. Supposedly you can swap it out and be good. I am happy with mine and I'm sure you'll like it also.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I’m gonna try out the Remington.

Comment

All I shoot out of mine is 200 grains. If my breech plug was to blow out it would go back to the factory. Till then its max loads,it doesn't kick hard enough to think I need to back off.

Comment

Working...
                          X