Looking for new long range scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silentnight View Post
    Midway had deal a few weeks ago that if you bought the new Leupold Mark5 HD you could get a $250 gift card. That could get the price down around 1800 for what you're wanting if you go with the 5-25x56. And it's 30oz compaired to the gen 2 razor 4.5-27 at 48oz. You could use the gift card to buy rings/bases or whatever you need to set your gun up
    I haven’t personally ran a MK5, but they’ve been on my consideration list for sometime. The glass is definitely a a step in the right direction, and the CCH reticle seems pretty nice. Overall I think it would make a fine LR hunting scope.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      I sold that scope 3-4 weeks back for $850. It was ok, but the glass was pretty crappy above 13-14x. A PST II has better glass. It tracked fine, and the reticle is good for hunting. It’s not too busy, but gives enough holds for accurate follow ups or corrections. It would fit your needs just fine, but it won’t be much of a step up from the SWFA in the glass department. Definitely do not pay more than $1k for one.
      Was that one of the ones from the GAP deal?

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
        I haven’t personally ran a MK5, but they’ve been on my consideration list for sometime. The glass is definitely a a step in the right direction, and the CCH reticle seems pretty nice. Overall I think it would make a fine LR hunting scope.
        Have one in the safe for the APR build. Just went with the TMR reticle though. I have the EBR-2 reticle in my gen 2 razor and I don't know if I've ever used it in my target/hunting applications. Usually dial for elevation and hold for wind. Plus with the TMR it was a little cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
          Was that one of the ones from the GAP deal?
          No I traded one of my Gen II 1-6s for it right when they came out. I put it on my SAUM for a while, and just couldn’t get past the glass over 13-14x. Other than that it worked perfectly. When I was selling mine I ran across them pretty regularly for $900-1000 for sale. I’d bet within the week you could have one headed your way for $900 or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentnight View Post
            Have one in the safe for the APR build. Just went with the TMR reticle though. I have the EBR-2 reticle in my gen 2 razor and I don't know if I've ever used it in my target/hunting applications. Usually dial for elevation and hold for wind. Plus with the TMR it was a little cheaper
            I bought a MK6 3-18 with TMR right when they came out for a lightweight hunter. I was a huge fan of the scope at the time, except for the turrets. It had the original B2 turrets in it and I just couldn’t get past them. The reticle was very usable for hunting. I dial my first shot pretty much 99.9% of the time, but if a follow up is needed I almost always hold. The 2C is a better reticle for that, but that doesn’t make the TMR a bad option IMO. I’d give the MK6 another try if it was illuminated and C2 turrets. I just can’t bring myself to pay the price they ask for the illuminated models when the ATACR is a better option in every way. I’ll probably end up with a MK5 3.6-18 as well at some point. The CCH is most intriguing to me, but I’d run the TMR again for the right price.

Comment

All I can say is, don't look through the Leupold MK 5 HD.....if you do, you will have to have it. The glass is amazing!

Compared it side by side with Nightforce and Swarovski and the MK 5 HD 5x25x56 came home with me!

Comment

I keep telling guys to look through Athlon glass , The german glass guys think I am joking we have the same go back and forth stupid posts .

So moving on

LOOK at the new Althon ETR which just replaced the Cronos .. IF a owner of APR is using one that tells you a little I own one but had not looked through the new ETR

WOW amazing , Owning german glass , Sighttron swfa Bushnell tatical LRHSI Sold off all the Vortex to me more hype than delivery .

This new ETR will be going on my new rig hands down .

Hit up APR on pricing its a killer bang for the buck scope . Earlier athlon had a rather mushy click on the turrets that has been fixed , tons more features .

Going to link it as well .. German glass lovers DO NOT CLICK the link you will be selling your over prices glass ( tongue in cheek )

The Ares ETR First Focal Plane rifle scopes is loaded with features that will allow you to take your long range shooting to another level.

Comment

Just bought my 6th vortex viper model scope. I have them from the entry level viper all the way to the viper pst ii. My viper pst ii is on a custom built Rem. 260 that I built for a 1,000yds bench gun. Very clear and very accurate at that range. Easily worth more than they are charging for them.

Comment

HDWRENCH pretty much summed it up for me already. Check out the ARES ETR. It is a large, heavy scope, but I'm not sure anything else can touch it at its price point on performance.

Reticle - Pretty well thought out and very effective for shots that don't give you much time to dial.

Turrets - This was one of the few complaints I had with the older BTR version. Totally different animal now. Very positive and tactile.

Tracking - Solid as ANYTHING out there for twice the money. I hate to even reference this guy, but check out the tracking test by TiborasaurusRex on youtube. It mirrors everything we have seen. 110 MOA of travel is NICE to have

Glass - I didn't really have an issue with the older BTR, but the ETR is a noticeable step up in glass quality from it.

Illumination - Again, it's executed better than most costing 2-3 times as much.

Zero stop - simple and solid.

Warranty - same lifetime as most of them these days

Athlon really did hit a home run with this one. It can be found well under MSRP if you know where to look. My only complaint with this one is they rolled out a floating center dot reticle for the MIL guys, and stuck us MOA guys with the same old floating crosshair. Hopefully that will be changed soon.

Comment

Nightforce atacr fits your bill perfectly. Or the leupold mk5/6. Both can be had in your price range used.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                        Nightforce atacr fits your bill perfectly. Or the leupold mk5/6. Both can be had in your price range used.

The Atacr is probably going to be out of his $1500- $1800 budget unless he is looking at the 4-16x50 F1 or F2.

They go from about $2300 to $3500 new depending on F1 or F2 and magnification. Haven’t seen a 5-25 F1 for $1500 on any forum I’m on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Black Ice; 01-19-2019, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                          The Atacr is probably going to be out of his $1500- $1800 budget unless he is looking at the 4-16x50 F2.

They go from about $2300 to $3500 new depending on F1 or F2 and magnification. Haven’t seen a 5-25 F1 for $1500 on any forum I’m on.

Used.

4-16F1 can be had in the 1800 range. Occasionally a bit lower. I’ve shopped for them. I own one....

Comment

The Atacr is probably going to be out of his $1500- $1800 budget unless he is looking at the 4-16x50 F2.

Now what do we have here? An ATACR f1 for $1800?!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                              https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=719464

Now what do we have here? An ATACR f1 for $1800?!

I edited to include the F1[emoji23]

Comment

I edited to include the F1[emoji23]

Cheater!! Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X