Winchester M70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester M70

Is there a gunsmith that will rebarrel a Winchester?

I have a 7mm WSM that I trying to figure out what to do with it.

i don't reload currently, due to time.

I am thinking of changing too.

270 WSM
    6.5 PRC
    6.5 SAUM 4S

If you don't reload and don't plan to, I'd stay away from any of the 3. 7-08 would be my choice.

Comment

I'm sure most will smiths, it's not that different from a m700.

You're going to have a limited selection with that action, it's a short and the bolt face is opened for the large diameter WSM / SAUM. The only way to reduce the bolt face is to buy a new bolt and you'd be better off selling the rifle and buying / building another.

Anything other than a 300 WSM or perhaps a 270 WSM will need to be reloaded. Even those two are going to be limited in selection, hard to find and expensive.

Comment

Maybe in the classifieds soon.

Comment

What is your reasoning for going away from the 7mm short mag?

Why did you choose the 3 calibers you are considering?

Comment

I see the ammo availability becoming less and less for the 7mm.

1. The 270 WSM is plentiful and can be bought at most local gun stores and sometimes even wally world.

2. 6.5 PRC looks to be becoming a commercially available option with Hornandy start to release production runs of the 147gr and 143 gr options. I am betting that the 6.5 craze will continue from the 6.5 Creedmoor to the 6.5 PRC.

3. The 6.5 SAUM 4s can be had through Copper Creek ammo.

Comment

Edward Minton Custom Rifles in Palestine.

Comment

300WSM is still popular and is what id go with if you really want to re barrel, might just be better off selling it. is it a controlled round feed gun or push feed?

Comment

You might could have it re bored to .300WSM, if ammo is the problem. I have a .300WSM, in a Winchester 70, good cartridge, I reload for it, but ammo is easy to find for it.

Comment

do you by chance have any ammo or brass for the 7mm wsm?

Comment

Originally posted by 300rem7 View Post
                      Maybe in the classifieds soon.
                      I assume it doesn't shoot worth a darn?

Comment

If you do not reload, I would steer clear of the more obscure chamberings.

Comment

rebarrel

you can send it to douglass barrels - they will rebarrel, true the action, head space, fire a test round, and even blue it for not much more than the cost of the barrel and with about the same turn around time as just ordering a barrel.

Just had it done on a pre-64 model 70 that was in rough shape - rebarreled to a 280 AI and it was pretty painless.

Comment

Originally posted by username View Post
                            you can send it to douglass barrels - they will rebarrel, true the action, head space, fire a test round, and even blue it for not much more than the cost of the barrel and with about the same turn around time as just ordering a barrel.

Just had it done on a pre-64 model 70 that was in rough shape - rebarreled to a 280 AI and it was pretty painless.

What was the out-the-door price on that work? What you listed will cost around $1K for the barrel and smith work pretty much anywhere you go.

Comment

Seems like I paid $650 including the bluing?? I will look and see if I have the receipt. I had to send a second check for the blueing as its technically done by one of their employees, not the douglas barrel company. I sent them the gun, they called and took a CC when they were ready to work, then I sent a check for blueing...

It took about 3 months, which is warp speed for gunsmithing work.

They also matched the barrel profile from the original 1959 M70 so the stock fit was perfect.

0.67" 5 shot group using Nosler factory 140 grain Accubonds and the original trigger. Giving it to the old man, may post something about it later...
                              Last edited by username; 10-19-2017, 04:08 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Working...
                              X