DIY Hunting Saddle 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Hunting Saddle 2.0

I’ve been looking at a lot of saddle designs from other DIY folks and decided to do an update to last year’s version. I plan on hunting from the saddle every afternoon this season and I’ll hunt my permanent spots in the mornings. The most important aspect to me is safety and so I will not be using my saddle as a fall-arrest system. I will still be trusting my rock harness to save me in the event of a fall. My saddle will simply be a chair.

Materials:

2” webbing (boat winch strap from Academy)
    1” webbing (some part of a tree climber or something in my hunting bin)
    1” tubular webbing (not necessary)
    Buckles for the 1” webbing
    Youth shell holder and pouches (Academy)
    Brown Canvas fabric

Total investment= $25
    Time: 2 hours

Design (not mine, borrowed from SH forum):

Cut to shape and edged with the 1” webbing

2” webbing going on:

Finished product:

I’ll be working on bridge lengths over the next few days because a 24” bridge was way too long for this one.

Looking forward to October!!!

Added a new climbing setup with some step aiders. With the 4 Summit Bucksteps and the aiders, I will easily get to 20’ at my feet. Put together a bag to carry the Steps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That will work. That webbing is mega overkill for edge binding. Grosgrain works just fine. Do you find yourself using the leg adjustment straps much? I did not put them on mine and have no regrets about that decision after a full season in it. I undertsand if the RC harness gives you peace of mind but it is totally unncecessary with a well constructed saddle. Climbing with a linemans belt and using safe practices, an actual fall of more than maybe 6 inches should be impossible. If a step or platform fails you should just suddenly be fully supported by your saddle. I used an RC harness for years out of a traditional treestand and was happy to move away from it just bc they are a bit of a pain to put on and take off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice. I wish I knew how to sew. I suppose I could learn but man I would be going crazy if I had a sewing machine, so much I want to do and modify.

Comment

Looks great! I love hanging from a saddle. Here’s my setup I made with a sitdrag as my base.

Comment

That finished product looks awesome. I need to create a quiver ��

Comment

DIY Hunting Saddle 2.0

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
              That will work. That webbing is mega overkill for edge binding. Grosgrain works just fine. Do you find yourself using the leg adjustment straps much? I did not put them on mine and have no regrets about that decision after a full season in it. I undertsand if the RC harness gives you peace of mind but it is totally unncecessary with a well constructed saddle. Climbing with a linemans belt and using safe practices, an actual fall of more than maybe 6 inches should be impossible. If a step or platform fails you should just suddenly be fully supported by your saddle. I used an RC harness for years out of a traditional treestand and was happy to move away from it just bc they are a bit of a pain to put on and take off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don’t use the leg adjusters at all. I don’t even know what they are supposed to do because I can’t tell a difference between fully cinched and not.

As I get more confident in my sewing, I’ll probably lose the RC harness. Mine’s easy enough to put on and does give me a lot of confidence in the tree. It also makes my wife feel good, so.....

Last edited by Hammerdown15; 06-21-2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

How do you climb the tree?

Comment

That's turned out clean!

Comment

Working...
                  X