Browntop Millet - Throw and Mow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browntop Millet - Throw and Mow

I ordered 2 bags of browntop millet today to broadcast in my 2acre fall food plot of elbon rye. The rye is over waist high so I should have great cover when I mow it.

I have never tried this method before, so I will update as I go. This will also be my first Dove plot. I plan to put the seed out May 6th. My goal is to have a legal dove plot in September. I also plan to feed milo from a spin feeder until 1st of August to keep the dove in the area.

Do not plant to early. I planted 12 acres of browntop in South Texas in mid-June and it was perfect timing to hunt in Sept in the South Zone. I did not plant it near that heavy though. The dove hunting was fantastic to say the least. Rained in June and first week of July then not again till early Sept. so it stay short and the browntop never really got over 18" tall due to the later planting date and rainfall timing. It was easy to hunt it and find birds without having it to thick. I planted with an offset disc that had a seeder box on it.

Comment

Our opening day is on September 1st. Hoping the seed is mature by 1-2 week of August so I can mow and disc strips mid August. Then mow the rest of the field a couple days before the opener.

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
        Our opening day is on September 1st. Hoping the seed is mature by 1-2 week of August so I can mow and disc strips mid August. Then mow the rest of the field a couple days before the opener.
        I would mow strips as the season progresses. Mow a strip every couple of weeks.

Comment

I would do that, but this plot will turn into my fall deer plot late September. I am only looking to get a weekend or two of hunting from this plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Plan B View Post
            I would do that, but this plot will turn into my fall deer plot late September. I am only looking to get a weekend or two of hunting from this plot.
            Sounds like a plan.

Comment

Going out tomorrow and Saturday to plant my browntop millet, set up Milo feeder, and install a fake power line over the food plot.

Comment

Man I don't know... with 2 acres, unless you are using an electric fence the deer will destroy 2 acres before it ever even gets a chance to take off. Good luck tho. [emoji106]

Comment

I got everything done. My phone died after getting the fake power line installed. The field looked really good after mowing. Headed back in a month and will update.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Line going across the front of field. Hard to see but about a 350' crossing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I like your thinking! Looking forward to your results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the purpose of the line?

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                          What is the purpose of the line?
                          A place for the dove to loath on before dropping down in the field.

Comment

A guy drove through the lease today and sent me this pic.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X