Killing Bobcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pass

Cats have to eat too. And no matter what I think about the other animals they prey on, I'm doing pretty much the same darn thing when I hunt. So mucho respect to a fellow predator - who has more to die for living daily than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
      Wait till u look up from ur pop up and see one staring at u from 5 yds. NOT cool
      I enjoy seeing them.
      Should I be afraid?

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
        Pass

Cats have to eat too. And no matter what I think about the other animals they prey on, I'm doing pretty much the same darn thing when I hunt. So mucho respect to a fellow predator - who has more to die for living daily than I do.
        Me too. Even though we will get flamed, thats how I see it.

Comment

I've never shot one and don't plan on it, but to each their own. They are rare on our place and are cool to watch.

Comment

I've always passed, but probably won't this year. Had a cat and cub last year that my wife and I saw on a few occasions. Every road on our lease has cat "piles" on them. Seeing several on cameras also. A couple years back, I was hunting a friend's hay field for hogs at night. Had 3 doe in the field. Drove towards em in the Jeep and when I got about 60 yards from them, a bobcat jumped up about halfway between us. Guess I changed his dinner plans.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

My dad always told me if you see a bobcat then that means you have too many of them. He believes these cats are too good of hunters to be seen. Which makes since. If they are over populated they will be more prone to putting themselves out in the open to get food. It's like big cats such as mountain lions. We know they are in Texas but sightings are not that often.
              Last edited by Fishcat91; 11-07-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I have a place in maddisonville, we have a lot of cats. I really enjoy taking my grandson out and using the callers. He loves to blow them and call the cats. I have never shot one with him, I always let the cats win. This year we will get one as he wants to have the skin tanned and put in his room. If we killed all the cats we would not have them to go play with. Also I believe that since the cats have always got away, when we do get one it will be more special to him.

Comment

Bobcats

I called one on Sunday night and shot it with my thermal setup. I have a ton ogf them also and I kill them every chance I get!!!Its also really really cool to watch them in the thermal coming in

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcat91 View Post
                    My dad always told me if you see a bobcat then that means you have too many of them. He believes these cats are too good of hunters to be seen. Which makes since. If they are over populated they will be more prone to putting themselves out in the open to get food. It's like big cats such as mountain lions. We know they are in Texas but sightings are not that often.
                    It's funny how rare people really think bobcats are. People rarely see them because they don't want to be seen. I'd be willing to bet Texas has the highest population of bobcats than anywhere in the United States by far. If you're only hunting during the day time your chances of seeing a bobcat are already pretty slim. They do most of their hunting at night. I'd bet it would really,really surprise people that never see them if they took a predator call out at night since it's legal in Texas and shined for eyes all night.

Comment

Bobcats

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      it's funny how rare people really think bobcats are. People rarely see them because they don't want to be seen. I'd be willing to bet texas has the highest population of bobcats than anywhere in the united states by far. If you're only hunting during the day time your chances of seeing a bobcat are already pretty slim. They do most of their hunting at night. I'd bet it would really,really surprise people that never see them if they took a predator call out at night since it's legal in texas and shined for eyes all night.
                      exactly!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                        Don't pass on yotes or cats
                        Same here. I'll fling lead or an arrow in the middle of a hunt. I don't care.

Comment

MOst time yote and cats get a pass unless I see them close to the house. Only thing I never pass on is pigs.

Comment

It's funny how rare people really think bobcats are. People rarely see them because they don't want to be seen. I'd be willing to bet Texas has the highest population of bobcats than anywhere in the United States by far. If you're only hunting during the day time your chances of seeing a bobcat are already pretty slim. They do most of their hunting at night. I'd bet it would really,really surprise people that never see them if they took a predator call out at night since it's legal in Texas and shined for eyes all night.
                            I know bobcats aren't rare. I have killed a many of them. Majority at night while calling, and a few during the daylight hours. But for the op's question I was basically saying if you see a cat to shoot it because they really shouldn't be seen. Especially during the daylight hours if you are seeing them a lot then there might be a overpopulation in the area and can turn into big problems with other wildlife.

Comment

20+ yrs hunting Jack Cty multiple rolls of 35mm film developed and not one bobcat. Yeah they were around but rare! My dad killed the first bobcat off that place 3 yrs ago a couple weeks after getting it on camera. Move to East Tx 9 yrs ago and multiple cameras out. Get a cat on cam once or twice a year. Buy 88 acres next door to us and have 8 cams out. Every camera has a pic of a bobcat almost every check every week! Not rare at this place but overpopulated! I'm almost 32 now and have seen more bobcats in my last 2 sits at my place than I have ever seen hunting. In the last month I have seen 5 during daylight hours. That should say something there.

Put it this way, I had seen more mountain lions in person than bobcats before I purchased this place.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcat91 View Post
                                I know bobcats aren't rare. I have killed a many of them. Majority at night while calling, and a few during the daylight hours. But for the op's question I was basically saying if you see a cat to shoot it because they really shouldn't be seen. Especially during the daylight hours if you are seeing them a lot then there might be a overpopulation in the area and can turn into big problems with other wildlife.
                                I agree. I know you didn't say they're rare but I know some people think they are. Even here I know folks that have never seen a bobcat and have lived here all their life. I've shot my fair share of them calling and have trapped a bunch. I just chuckle at how amazed people are when I show them pictures of cats that I've shot. They aren't like coyotes and just come out into the open where anyone can see them. You might see one cross the road at night every once in a while but they're very sneaky so it's no wonder nobody ever gets to see one. It doesn't take much cover at all and they seem to just disappear. Just like a big buck or anything else that's learned to use the dark or thick cover to their advantage. They're true survivors.

I wouldn't necessarily use the word smart to describe bobcats but they definitely aren't dumb. They know how to get around and make a living by not being seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X